123 Last

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Default F's and Depression or Anxiety Medication

I have a question for any of you feelers that are currently or have ever taken any anti-anxiety or anti-depression medications.

What was/is your experience with it?

I've never actually taken any meds like this (though in my early twenties and late teens there were sure times I considered it!) but I was talking to my mom the other day about it, she is either infp or infj.. and she had gone on prozac for about two months a few years back. She was telling me that it was a complete emotional blocker for her.. she didn't feel anything, goor or bad. This concept of no emotions at all is hard for me to grasp, because so much of my personality is emotions. I honestly couldn't imagine who or what I'd be like, what the world would look like to me without an emotional undertone. I also wonder how I would behave towards others if I did not have any sense of emotional impact. Its just such a strange concept to me. I had an ISFJ friend go on Zoloft while she was also taking Acutane because it caused a major depression.. and her personality changed drastically! During that time many of our friends had a hard time being around her, because she would say alot of rude things, seemed to have little concern, etc. for the people around her. Ofcourse we all knew it was the meds, not HER, and supported her still. When I was asking my mom about the prozac, she told me the reason she went off it is because it turned her into a zombie. Not someone that felt bad, or crazy, she just didn't feel anything. I understand that meds are helpful and sometimes neccessary to balance certain people out.. so this isn't meant to be a "bash scrip users" thread. I am looking for honest experiences from a feelers perspective.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    yupp

meds normalize me, but everyone experience things differently
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    IsFJ

I'm on sertraline right now. It's no panacea or anything, but it has helped curb some of my obnoxiously OCD-ish tendencies. I now feel somewhat mellower. Now, if only there was a drug for procrastination...

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Thanks for the responce. This is probably a touchy subject.. but I don't think it should be. Especially if your on something that has balanced you. Do you find that it limits your range of emotion, but you still feel like you? Or do you find it to be completely numbing?

Edit: if you could describe the feelings you were having before, and compare to now, what would you say?

MBTI
    yupp

I was a total mess crying and forgetting important shit, also had psychotic symptoms throwing up and headaches, now I still have emotions but they're more in check and my memory's coming back slowly but it is.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Thanks for the responce. This is probably a touchy subject.. but I don't think it should be. Especially if your on something that has balanced you. Do you find that it limits your range of emotion, but you still feel like you? Or do you find it to be completely numbing?

Edit: if you could describe the feelings you were having before, and compare to now, what would you say?
    Were you talking to us both, or just to prplchknz?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I was on anti depressants in my late teens. I loved it because i became a zombie and didn't feel anything. Nothing fazed me but then i did something silly so maybe not feeling anyway was counter productive.

I was put on prozac but was confused with regards to the hype as they didn't seem to touch me so was put on other tablets.

Although at the time clearly there were benefits to the medication, ultimately being a feeler who's entire body is an emotional antenna, i suppose i cut off a part of me that needed support in order to progress.

When my marriage broke down i asked my doctor for anti depressants for the short term and was declined. Sometimes its nice not to feel pain but in order to move past it, we have to feel it .. in all it's horrible glory. As the saying goes though 'This too shall pass'

Meh, each to their own.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    yupp

the problem is when it doesn't pass even when you try to. try 10 years of trying to "get over it" and not happening. and it gets worse and worse.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Were you talking to us both, or just to prplchknz?
    To both, and anyone else that wants so share.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I was on anti depressants in my late teens. I loved it because i became a zombie and didn't feel anything. Nothing fazed me but then i did something silly so maybe not feeling anyway was counter productive.

I was put on prozac but was confused with regards to the hype as they didn't seem to touch me so was put on other tablets.

Although at the time clearly there were benefits to the medication, ultimately being a feeler who's entire body is an emotional antenna, i suppose i cut off a part of me that needed support in order to progress.

When my marriage broke down i asked my doctor for anti depressants for the short term and was declined. Sometimes its nice not to feel pain but in order to move past it, we have to feel it .. in all it's horrible glory. As the saying goes though 'This too shall pass'

Meh, each to their own.
    See, this is what I would imagine. Because being a feeler is so core to our personalitys, I wonder how you could have been productive, in the sense of doing what you wanted to do. If you couldn't "feel" a sense of what you wanted. How much you loved another person. What career made you happy. etc. How would you ever know what was true for you and what wasn't? Unless my concept of these pills being emotional blockers is off... or there are pills that still give you a sense of self and a range of natural emotion....