User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    To both, and anyone else that wants so share.
    In that case, I admit I feel like I'm on auto-pilot sometimes... Sometimes, I feel like I'm slowly eroding on account of my inner conflict, which is seldom externalized. I've also felt a bit dysthimic, even depressed, sometimes... Medication of that sort is ineffectual, I think, if you don't combine it with good therapy.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I was on some form of anti-depressant for years, starting in high school. From lithium to cymbalta. Nothing really was very helpful after the first week or so.
    Now I take no meds at all, and after a period of feeling very depressed and sad, I'm coming out of it. I also have an excellent therapist and hypnotherapist who have helped me a lot in this journey. I really feel that meds are not the answer, certainly not long term. They just compress emotional experience into a narrow middle band, where you are not sad, but not very happy either.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    See, this is what I would imagine. Because being a feeler is so core to our personalitys, I wonder how you could have been productive, in the sense of doing what you wanted to do. If you couldn't "feel" a sense of what you wanted. How much you loved another person. What career made you happy. etc. How would you ever know what was true for you and what wasn't? Unless my concept of these pills being emotional blockers is off... or there are pills that still give you a sense of self and a range of natural emotion....
    I didn't want to make any rational decisions though, i wanted to forget or just not feel as it hurt too much and just go about my life in a state of zombiness
    I was fortunate in that i had ended my relationship so only had to look after my children (glad they were little so can't remember this period of their lives), i didn't work, i lived in the countryside and was rarely visited by family, had no friends and was never asked to attend any social functions .. I was put out to deal with life alone. Oh well.

After great therapy i choose to stop the tablets as what i had learned from a lovely psychiatrist helped sow the seeds which in hindsight didn't really help as i went back to blaming myself when an issue arose. I suffered from 'fixing people syndrome' Lol.

But for me there was no sense of self or feelings of natural emotions. I hated every fibre of my being so why would i want to feel that disgusting sense of worthlessness. I knew i had to think differently (for my childrens sake) but didn't have the skills nor knowledge to change my thought process and this is where the tablets helped temporarily.

I do think though that especially in present time, anti depressants are given out like fucking candy when instead people would be better off being referred to external agencies or counselling to help them overcome their current thoughts/situiations and show other possibilities. I see this on a daily basis in my job yet the funding available is getting more and more scarce. Or maybe this is a ploy to control people. Different subject/thread. lol
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    yupp

ok listen to me, I tried just therapy it didn't work. I went off meds and things fell apart in a few months so yeah some people can function fine without meds. I can not. some people meds make them feel numb, I feel numb off of meds with crying spells.I feel more on meds than off so explain that. do i think society is overmedicated? yes I do.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I started taking anti depressants in my early teen years, but I never really noticed a difference, my depression never went away and sometimes made me slip into mania. I tried almost every single one of them. When I was off everything I would feel almost exactly the same. I now am on a mood stabilizer and an anti-psychotic and I have honestly NEVER felt more normal. I still have emotions, and I still feel things, I'm just not as depressed anymore. This has changed my personality a bit because I'm more emotionally stable, less angry and I'm a bit more outgoing, but I can't say anything negative about the way I feel now. I am not functional without meds AT ALL. NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT. Medication affects all people differently though. You have to find the right ones.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

You know, I guess it all goes back to individual chemicals and such. If your not functionable without something to balance you, then you probably do have more of a chem imbalance, etc. I think there are alot of things someone can do to try to bring their hormones and chemicals to a natural level.. like through really good exorcize, eating, ya know.. be as healthy as you possibly can (which is probably a catch-22 when your really depressed and anxious) but I would never say that no one should be using meds. That would just be silly, as there are tons of case studies on people with imbalance. I do think that scrips are being written like rampantly for people with non-chemical problems that would be better suited for some counseling.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I didn't take medication for many years even though I was a highly sensitive child and started experiencing depression in my teens. I was in my twenties before I decided for myself that it might be a good idea because my panic attacks were so severe that they were interfering with my life - and I knew it had to be some kind of chemical imbalance because in many ways I'm a very ballsy, daring person.

Also, my depression can get so bad that I won't be able to stop crying...and my great-aunt Kate did this. She cried and cried like that, they didn't have anti-depressants back in her day, her doc prescribed her valium of all things (???) and she ended up attempting suicide three times in her 50's or 60's. She finally got help in the mid-1980's as an old lady after the sucide attempts.

I'm too stubborn and full of life to say "oh I'll just live this way." No, no I won't. I'm the sort of person that if I get depressed I fight it, which makes me anxious, disrupts my sleep, and makes me angry. I'm an emotional depressed person rather than a "flat effect" depressed person, and those people are apparently more likely to just give up and feel nothing.

So, now I take an anti-depressant and an anti-convulsant, pretty low doses, actually. It helps me tremendously, though I don't recommend medication as a band-aid fix-it-all for everyone and even if you need meds you also need lifestyle changes. I can't get over the people who think prozac will save their life even as they continue to sit around and do nothing, not exercising, eating badly, not sleeping properly...it's like fucking duh, the meds help but you also have to holistically care for your physical and mental health to be well.

I also DO NOT recommend taking benzos, like xanax and valium. I think it's just asking for trouble unless it's used as a rare, temporary thing for very particular situations.

MBTI
    ENTP

Why is this a "feeler" thread?

What's the difference between a "feeler" experiencing depression and a "thinker experiencing depression?

None.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Why is this a "feeler" thread?

What's the difference between a "feeler" experiencing depression and a "thinker experiencing depression?

None.
    On one hand I agree, on the other hand I wonder if Feelers are medicated more than Thinkers, and I also have a theory that Thinkers who are depressed are more likely to experience "flat affect" depression than Feelers.

MBTI
    ENTP

I miss being depressed.

The numbness took the pain away.

haha this is going to turn into a group therapy thingy..