• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The How of Happiness

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Has anyone read Sonja Lyubomirsky's "The How of Happiness"? Any thoughts? Have you tried the suggestions?

Last edited:

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Well, of course thousands of books have been written on happiness, some fascinating, others fluffy and still others simply pathetic. What makes Lyubomirsky's interesting is that the ideas she presents are not the outcome of some vague inspiration or insight but on empirical research, and quite a lot of it.
The central these appears to be that the amount of happiness one experiences is determined by 3 factors.
50% is genetical, as if we are born with a talent for happiness, just like some of us have a talent for sports or art.
Only 10% can be linked to circumstances/environment such as health and wealth. Winning a lot of money does make us happy, but only for a couple of months, then we fall back to our basic happiness level. Same goes for disaster and illness.
40%, however, is based on thoughts and behaviour. That means we can influence our happiness level to a large extend.

This is where I got in the book. The rest provides more background and -especially- techniques to increase happiness.

It seems to be another self-help book, but I have the impression that it is far more than that, because of the serious research it is based on. And that is why I want know what others think of it, wheter it works for them,...

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
I have not read the book but I agree with its contention.

I now make significantly more money and have far more possession than I did ten years ago. But am I any happier? No.

That being said I was born fairly happy and will probably die feeling the same way.

40%, however, is based on thoughts and behaviour. That means we can influence our happiness level to a large extend.

IMHO, there is a fine line between happiness and delusion.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

IMHO, there is a fine line between happiness and delusion.

Difference being that delusion implies incongruence between perception and circumstance, while happiness might simply be a matter of perception, independent of circumstance. Yes?

JustDave

MBTI Type
xNTP
Difference being that delusion implies incongruence between perception and circumstance, while happiness might simply be a matter of perception, independent of circumstance. Yes?

I agree. Acceptance v. delusion. If one recognizes that his situation is terrible yet he is still happy then he is probably experiencing "true" happiness.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Well the basic facts are correct... happiness... it's mostly all in your head. Perception affects how you interact with the environment... If you think things are going to work out... you'll act more confident... people see that and chances are it'll help in getting things your way.

I subscribe to that philosophy. Except I have difficulties keeping the mood swings away. :mellow:

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
hm, what about "perception is reality"?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
hm, what about "perception is reality"?

Perception is subjective reality.

The worrisome overachiever... the happy un-achiever... Each value himself using a different system. The overachiever by his accomplishments, the un-achiever by his happiness. An external focus vs an internal one. If the world comes crashing down... who will be better off? The un-achiever. He doesn't have fame nor fortune... but it doesn't matter. Not to him... for he has his happiness. Who cares what other people perceive? That's their subjective reality... not his.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well the basic facts are correct... happiness... it's mostly all in your head.

Okay, so happiness is a function of our perception, but in the next sentence...

Perception affects how you interact with the environment... If you think things are going to work out... you'll act more confident... people see that and chances are it'll help in getting things your way.

...we see that happiness is a function of getting things our way. Seems like 2 competing philosophies.

I agree with the first quote but disagree with the second. You can be perfectly happy without things going your way if your mind is in the right zone.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
I agree. Maybe a better alternative is " chances are it'll help coping with things"? Or is that too simplistic?