User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Question Extroversion = Shallowness?

Is relating to the world outside of oneself as opposed to inside a form of shallowness?

I've been wondering lately if I'm a horribly superficial person because I view myself from the outside- from others reactions and such- as opposed to knowing who I am and all that.

Do introverts have a better sense of self than extroverts do?

Is extroversion shallow?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Define shallow, without the use of a dictionary.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

shallow- meaning more like a balloon. Everyone sees the pretty shiny surface, but there's really nothing inside- the surface is everything that there is to the balloon.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Is relating to the world outside of oneself as opposed to inside a form of shallowness?
    It's all a matter of perspective IMO. One could argue that introversion is the true shallowness *shrugs*

I've been wondering lately if I'm a horribly superficial person because I view myself from the outside- from others reactions and such- as opposed to knowing who I am and all that.
    Is a lake any less deep when you watch it from a helicopter as opposed to when you dive in it?

Do introverts have a better sense of self than extroverts do?
    Probably, but one could argue that this focus on themselves makes introverts shallow, as in: overly concerned with themselves at the expense of the rest of the world.

Is extroversion shallow?
    No more than introversion IMO

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

No.

Extroversion (insofar as it is defined within the MBTI) is a method of transacting incoming stimuli into cogent thought. It has absolutely no connection to one's intellectual efficiency in converting said data into complex associations.

Extroversion does not imply superficiality. Introversion does not presume depth.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Define shallow, without the use of a dictionary.
    Subtle is the Lord.

MBTI
    OMNi

I find that extroverts can't read into people nearly as deeply as introverts can. Extroverts tend to make surface judgments, which may not be indicative at all of what is really going on with a person. I think they also spend much more time in adjusting their surface self because that is how they think they will be judged. I think that attention to what is immediately visible in their personality can be misconstrued as shallowness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

shallow- meaning more like a balloon. Everyone sees the pretty shiny surface, but there's really nothing inside- the surface is everything that there is to the balloon.
    Would you consider a person who cares deeply about personal causes and others but who shows that care on the outside to be shallow? I wouldn't. I think your definition needs to be tweaked.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

How would you suggest tweaking it then? I couldn't come up with the perfect vocabulary term for the concept that was bugging me, but shallow, or superficial, was the closest!

I wouldn't say that showing how you feel or think about something should be considered shallow, but I was kind of wondering if introverts perceived extroverts as being shallow, and how extroverts viewed themselves that way

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Would you consider a person who cares deeply about personal causes and others but who shows that care on the outside to be shallow? I wouldn't. I think your definition needs to be tweaked.
    If they cared deeply about it then they wouldn't be empty inside.

If they didn't really care about it, but they acted like they cared about it on the outside, then that would be shallow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

A balloon isn't empty... there's air inside of it.

That's my argument for extroversion and shallowness...

To me extroversion is about responding to the environment and adapting to it. Not about being shallow or deep or being fake or true.

Edit:
    Clarifying about the balloon... if there's nothing inside, then it'll be a deflated balloon. Shiny yes, but empty. You need substance to keep the balloon filled. Being extroverted doesn't directly relate to shallowness... Although I do find some extroverts to be shallow... Actually you can see the same in introverts as well.... Except shallowness in this case is referred to as being vain.