User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INTP

If Extraversion equals Shallowness then Intorversion equals Selfishness.

Hopefully you feel better knowing that we're all bad people, whatever.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't think Extraversion implies shallowness, but I do think Extraverts conceal their depths more.
    People talk about how Introverts are supposedly "hard to know", but I don't think we are any more so than Extraverts.

Extraverts seem extraneous. They seem to play a lot of interpersonal games that are entirely unconstructive. Extraverts have depth, but it feels as though I have to unlock a lot of doors and decypher a lot of codes to get to it.
    So, if you can follow me here, I think Extraverts have a superfiscial shell with a lot of substance inside.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    No.

Extroversion (insofar as it is defined within the MBTI) is a method of transacting incoming stimuli into cogent thought. It has absolutely no connection to one's intellectual efficiency in converting said data into complex associations.

Extroversion does not imply superficiality. Introversion does not presume depth.

Subtle is the Lord.
    The appearance does though - The flaw in perception there lies in the fact that depth and breadth in living are often taken to be mutually exclusive.

Are they?

Culturally, we're fed with the notion that "still waters run deep", while the quick crispness of Extroversion is met with "all the depth of a Saltine cracker".

It would be interesting to see the link with self-monitoring - I'd make a guess that Es are considerably more self-monitoring.

Is this not another layer of complexity. Extroverts tend to live more lives than one.

Where comes the energy for living this?

One has to dig deeply, before one can spread out further.

The charge of shallowness comes, because sometimes, the extension is not supported by digging deeply enough yet. That need to reach out kills a young sapling if it has not dug deeper to take on the burdens of more yet. The danger of masks. You become it.

Does it make the reaching out shallow? What part of it was a lie?

Merely the perception.

"He who lives more lives than one, more deaths than one must die". (Wilde - probably one of your best extroverts in literature)

Extroverts carry the weight of others. Introverts carry the weight of self. (Nice phrase, Mort).

Hence the need for development, and in all things, balance.

MBTI
    xNTP

True. But perception is reality. Is it not?

MBTI
    INTP

Extraversion and introversion are ways of cortical adjustement.

We simply try to find the optimal cortical activity level. To evade discomfort. Everyone wants to feel good.

For the same reason we drink coffee, alcohol, take a hike, open the radio, close the radio, approach crowds, evade crowds.. whatever we do.. apart from love, self preservation or any other biological instinct.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    True. But perception is reality. Is it not?
    No. Perception is subjective, reality is objective. It's just problematic that perception is the only thing we have on which to gauge reality.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    xNTP

For sake of argument, what if many people cannot discern the difference between perception and reality? Wouldn't their perception be their reality?

Please understand that I am not trying to derail this thread. I am simply trying to present a plausible explanation of why extroversion = shallowness.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Extraversion and introversion are ways of cortical adjustement.

We simply try to find the optimal cortical activity level. To evade discomfort. Everyone wants to feel good.

For the same reason we drink coffee, alcohol, take a hike, open the radio, close the radio, approach crowds, evade crowds.. whatever we do.. apart from love, self preservation or any other biological instinct.
    Very well said, Wildcat.

For sake of argument, what if many people cannot discern the difference between perception and reality? Wouldn't their perception be their reality?
    Perception is reality - broken though it is.

Perception is a flawed instrument set aflame by profound personal bias. This isn't shameful, as long as we are willing to recognize the unavoidable ignorance our limited scope creates.

See: Copenhagen Convention Effect - an object exists in a state of superposition until it is interpreted and classified by a cognizant observer. Classification does not denote accuracy.

See: Dark Energy - a hyperabundant form of energy utterly alien (and wholly lethal) to us, yet it is suspected to compose 85% of all energy in our multiverse.

MBTI
    xNTP

I think that even the most rational of people have difficult accepting the fact that to some extent everything is subjective. Everything is colored by our innate biases. Although I agree that we must accept and understand this. And, hopefully via this understanding we can become better people.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I think that even the most rational of people have difficult accepting the fact that to some extent everything is subjective. Everything is colored by our innate biases. Although I agree that we must accept and understand this. And, hopefully via this understanding we can become better people.
    Yes.

Ignorance and brilliance are different shades of the same coin.