User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    xNTP

My belief is extroverts tend to define themselves through relationships and in an attempt to maintain those relationships they may be quick to change their beliefs, positions, opinions, etc leading to the appearance of shallowness.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    My belief is extroverts tend to define themselves through relationships and in an attempt to maintain those relationships they may be quick to change their beliefs, positions, opinions, etc leading to the appearance of shallowness.
    I don't think that is true. Many of the extroverts that I know (myself included) also tend to be amongst the most individualistic and stubborn people, as well.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Is extroversion shallow?

That is as bad generalization as any generalization.
    Let's say 60-70% of people are extroverts.
    Then 60-70% of people are shallow.
    I don't buy it.

What is shallow anyway?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Overall I don't think this has to do with shallowness as much as introverts misunderstanding extraverts. Furthermore I believe that extraverts, overall, have a better understanding of introverts than vice versa. A majority of extraverts actually realize and try to see the differences among people*, while introverts are more likely to project themselves onto other people. ExxP's are naturally perceptive of what is going on around them and ExFJ's are very people oriented in nature. Introverts by contrast tend to be more self oriented (being internally focused) and can fall into a trap of projecting more easily.

* I have to make a disclaimer about ExTJ's because most of them really, really do not understand people at all. I can't tell if they're projecting or if they just don't care. Either way ExTJ's are the worst at understanding others. The other exception is INFJ's who are exceptionally good at understanding persons especially when it comes to reading their emotional state.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Furthermore I believe that extraverts, overall, have a better understanding of introverts than vice versa.

Hmmm.... have to disagree on that one:

Extrovert says XYZ to introvert in passing... leaves introvert thinking WTF did that mean?

Introvert asks extrovert the meaning, extrovert thinks WTF is the big deal anyway?

Have seen that played out too many times to ignore.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    Furthermore I believe that extraverts, overall, have a better understanding of introverts than vice versa.

Hmmm.... have to disagree on that one:

Extrovert says XYZ to introvert in passing... leaves introvert thinking WTF did that mean?

Introvert asks extrovert the meaning, extrovert thinks WTF is the big deal anyway?

Have seen that played out too many times to ignore.
    That reminds me of the joke:

Two introverts meet each other and one says to the other: you're okay but how am I?

Actually I think it was originally: two psychics meet ...

MBTI
    xNTP

Perhaps the answer is a very simple one:

Introverts tend to be quieter than extroverts. People tend to correlate quietness with intelligence and thus depth.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Perhaps the answer is a very simple one:

Introverts tend to be quieter than extroverts. People tend to correlate quietness with intelligence and thus depth.
    That makes me wonder what do introverts think when they are quiet?
    I have several introverts around me and I never asked the question from them. Tomorrow maybe I will ask about it.

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    That makes me wonder what do introverts think when they are quiet?
    I have several introverts around me and I never asked the question from them. Tomorrow maybe I will ask about it.
    They think about everything and anything, but nothing in particular.

Take for example my two bosses which are a perfect example of I vs. E.

My introverted boss speaks in a very taciturn manner and is not very effusive (INTJ or ISTJ). However, my extroverted boss (the ESTJ from hell) talks continuously. He seldom considers what he will say next.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Well, I don't think that equation describes anything real (generally speaking simple equations rarely makes sense dealing with people, people are too complex). What I think is that it is easier to see the personality of an extrovert compared to an introvert. If you deal with a shallow extrovert you are going to spot him much faster than if you deal with a shallow introvert. An extrovert full of crap is generally much worse than an introvert full of crap, while a wonderful extrovert is more wonderful than a wonderful introvert. The extroversion just boosts the tendency perceived in a person compared to introversion, because extroverts are more visible. Just a theory...
    That's kinda been my impression, and not just for shallowness - other traits as well. I guess it goes both ways - positive traits are going to be more obvious in Es than Is as well.

I've noticed a tendency that introverts spend more time trying to work out what makes others tick and what's going on inside, compared to extraverts. But that's just a general tendency - there are exceptions both ways.