User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

only one other extrovert has responded?!?

Could an Fi/Fe difference play into that in any way?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    Edahn, you need to work on your Fe, ya?
    What?! It was a funny story!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, I don't think that equation describes anything real (generally speaking simple equations rarely makes sense dealing with people, people are too complex). What I think is that it is easier to see the personality of an extrovert compared to an introvert. If you deal with a shallow extrovert you are going to spot him much faster than if you deal with a shallow introvert. An extrovert full of crap is generally much worse than an introvert full of crap, while a wonderful extrovert is more wonderful than a wonderful introvert. The extroversion just boosts the tendency perceived in a person compared to introversion, because extroverts are more visible. Just a theory...

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    What?! It was a funny story!
    Butttt!

Butttt!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Actually, the diversity in response is a clever opportunity for my ultimate point to flower beyond what I'd initially aimed for.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

No.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

When I'm not judging people by what brand of clothes they wear my favorite thing to do is gossip about Britney Spears and burn books.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

You're a teenage christian?
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Is relating to the world outside of oneself as opposed to inside a form of shallowness?

I've been wondering lately if I'm a horribly superficial person because I view myself from the outside- from others reactions and such- as opposed to knowing who I am and all that.

Do introverts have a better sense of self than extroverts do?

Is extroversion shallow?
    Extroversion doesn't make you shallow. It just means your depth is oriented outward rather than inward. You are probably more sensitive to what's going on around you and what it might mean than most Introverts are. Awareness of what's going on around you is often (if not always) more useful in a practical sense than knowledge of yourself and your motivations. That's why E's essentially have all the power and motivation to get things done.

Also, we all have Introverted and Extroverted functions. For instance, my Ni and Ti are Introverted, but my Fe is Extroverted. I do have deep awarenesses of my ideas and carefully consider the nature of my thoughts. But emotionally, I rely on comparing myself to other people to figure out how I feel about something. I just see where my feelings are relative to theirs. That's why I can't really work through emotions without discussing them. And to some extent, what I consider acceptable emotionally is governed by what effect I think it will have on how people perceive me emotionally. Of course, I can still refuse to respond to this by criticizing their belief internally, but that's Ni/Ti and has nothing to do with my feelings.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I've been wondering lately if I'm a horribly superficial person because I view myself from the outside- from others reactions and such- as opposed to knowing who I am and all that.

Do introverts have a better sense of self than extroverts do?

I addressed this before in a more personal way but will approach it differently now.

Just as I don't think the MB terms "Feeling" and "Thinking" apply to emotion/intelligence respectively but only the preferred or dominant subjective/objective approach to decision making, I don't think "Extrovert" and "Introvert" apply to shallowness/depth similarly. Nor can any of the four be logically induced into meaning anything other the definitions set forth in MB althought I've seen many do that repeatedly.

But, given that, I will use the terms more loosely in an attempt to get my point across. Extrovert, as commonly used, does not mean shallow nor does introvert mean deep. Either one is comfortable with self-examination or they are not. Either one chooses to observe their behavior in various situations and learn who they are based on that or they don't. Both extroverts and introverts can live their entire lives "hiding" from themselves and never discerning areas that could stand to "grow."

Either one can watch a movie or read a book, relate to the character, and learn about themselves from it and either one can just be entertained. "Seeing" one's self often takes backbone and some are either too afraid or lazy to engage in it. Intestinal fortitude, of that kind, is not unique to either. Perhaps the only difference between the extrovert and introvert, in this way, is that while the first may learn about themselves by observing/interacting with another person socially and running it through the "am I like that, do I approve of that" process to learn about themselves, the later will more likely do the same viewing a movie or literary character or close family member. The opportunities to learn about themselves are available to both equally if they choose to use them. Life is about choices and we learn who we are in making them. Extroverts and introverts make an equal number of choices throughout their lives.... some will reflect on the "why" of them and some won't... its not type-dependent.

*climbs down from soapbox*