User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Kiddo: Is that more related to extroversion or just pure Fe?
    I have a lot of Fe and I don't do that. But perhaps extroverted feeling is the main culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Re: Kiddo

I cheer up around people if I'm in a bad mood because I kind of feed off of thier energy (like a human leech or something! ) and social interactions always perk me up!

My sis, also an extrovert, wears her heart on her sleeve- you can always tell if she's sad or cheerful- if she's unhappy EVERYONE must be unhappy (then she becomes more cheerful )
    Ah, that is probably it. Because extroverts feed off the energy of other people, they try to keep the atmosphere light. That is probably the trait that gets misconstrued as shallowness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    If they cared deeply about it then they wouldn't be empty inside.

If they didn't really care about it, but they acted like they cared about it on the outside, then that would be shallow.
    That's kinda what I was trying to get at; that you have to define what you mean by being empty. Is it not caring about certain things, or is it not withholding some feelings/beliefs from the public? I think "depth" implies both to most people, but is that true, and why? When I think about the stereotypical "deep" person, I think about someone who is quiet/reserved and thoughtful/contemplative. I would guess that my stereotype is pretty common. Gurus are often pictured as being rather taciturn as well as wise.

I suspect that depth is often associated with calmness. You need calmness and an ability to suspend mental chatter in order to sort through your perception to find meaning. Also, you derive calmness from contemplation (usually). I wouldn't go so far as to say that extroversion negates this calmness; it's too broad a term, for one. However, there may be some qualities that make it hard to be contemplative ("deep") that may overlap with (but is not essential to) the conventional understanding of extroversion. I notice it with some of my friends who use social interaction as a way to distract themselves from feelings of boredom, loneliness and depression, whereas "deeper" individuals are more willing to confront and investigate those feelings alone.

MBTI
    Zzzz

I actually don't think most extroverts are even concious of the fact that they do it.

Take for example my ESFJ grandmother. She could be in a terrible mood, but the moment she is around other people she is friendly, happy, and all smiles. I don't see introverts doing that kind thing as often.

Generally I think extroverts may believe if they change how they appear on the surface, people won't pick up on how they are really feeling.
    I don't think it'd be most Extroverts though or Extroverts being unconscious about it. I think it can go both ways. For instance, ISTPs or unevolved ones. My best friend used to be a horrible self-monitor...she's a bit better now.. She doesn't care, for the most part. Even when she realises it or I tell her (mostly so), of her behaviour towards others. She's blamed me repeteadly for giving her a conscience. Heh. Fi being Demonic for ISTPs (and INTPs), may be one reason, especially when they refuse to evolve it or acknowledge it.

Edit: Also, I've seen Extorverts (esp. at work--) spread their anger to rally up troops to gossip or attack much more quickly than the Introverts I've seen. Though, the Introverts I've known have done it. They're just a bit slow to do it unless they're highly stressed and reacting in the moment due to someone or a situation. So no quick change of smiles or happiness...at least, not always.

The problem is that for introverts, it is often even more clear and pronounced that somebody is in a bad mood when they are putting on "airs".
    You'll know when she's upset, she doesn't put on "airs" at all. Feelings come and go, she'll Fe out badly and then move on... and forget so quickly it might seem heinous but it's a beautiful thing to just move on too .. She won't keep grudges either, unless the same illogical people are continously in her prescence and even then, she'll just toy with them playfully (well, in her POV, it's playful..)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    It was only after he died that I learned he was lactose intolerant.
    LMAO

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Ah, that is probably it. Because extroverts feed off the energy of other people, they try to keep the atmosphere light. That is probably the trait that gets misconstrued as shallowness.
    Perhaps that's true...

Night: Thank you for the story. I wonder how often introverts think we know who extroverts are when we have but scratched the surface...

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    LMAO
    Edahn, you need to work on your Fe, ya?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    Edahn, you need to work on your Fe, ya?
    Probably, but that story was awesome anyway.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    You'll know when she's upset, she doesn't put on "airs" at all. Feelings come and go, she'll Fe out badly and then move on... and forget so quickly it might seem heinous but it's a beautiful thing to just move on too .. She won't keep grudges either, unless the same illogical people are continously in her prescence and even then, she'll just toy with them playfully (well, in her POV, it's playful..)
    What I was trying to say there was that introverts can usually read an extrovert's real mood better when an extrovert is putting on "airs".

Of course, Night's story casts a bit of a shadow on that assumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    Zzzz

What I was trying to say there was that introverts can usually read an extrovert's real mood better when an extrovert is putting on "airs".

Of course, Night's story casts a bit of a shadow on that assumption.
    Ohh, I thought you meant Introverts. Your writing confused me! Or my comprehension of it confused me! No, your writing--

Yes, I enjoyed his story too.

@ Edahn *pets*

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, let's see.

S is shallow because it doesn't consider alternatives and takes things at face value.

N is shallow because it's full of impractical ideas. It also makes generalizations.

T is shallow because it is not sympathetic.

F is shallow because it is not systematic.

It all depends on a definition of shallow. In particular, S thinks N is shallow, N thinks S is shallow, because they both cognitively operate on different planes and see different things.