User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do they go hand-in-hand?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they're often found together

3 21.43%
  • No, they don't correlate

3 21.43%
  • I disagree with the premise

3 21.43%
  • Option D

5 35.71%
12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default The opposite of a grudge

If a grudge means "holding onto hate", then is "holding onto love" (i.e., having trouble letting go of relationships) its opposite?

Do you think these two personal qualities tend to go together in a personality?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

I wouldn't say so.
    I'm not really a confrontational person. For me, letting go is much harder than giving up a grudge be. If I've decided that I don't like somebody, I keep my distance if at all possible.
    Persistent hatred is just not worth the effort.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    ESFJ

I wouldn't necessarily say they go together.

Personally, i find it easier to let go as hatred anger requires a lot of my energy which i refuse to give to the other person. Unless i'm around the person a lot then i need to back off completely and refocus on myself. I don't like to hold grudges, life is too short.

Now, holding onto love is a different matter. I have to come to terms with things on my own accord and that may take a while. Someone recently told me that i idealise love. The person just misread my words (Again) as i was speaking of the good (and bad) during the relationship. Just because a relationship goes south and people got hurt, doesn't mean i don't smile to myself when thinking of the good times. Hmm.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

hate/grudge arent the opposites of love

i dont think they go together every time in personality, but ofc they can go together in some cases
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Eh...I think of grudges as holding onto resentment or anger, not hate. You don't have to hate someone to resent them for some wrong they've done in the past, or for something they have that you envy, and hold a grudge because of that.

What's the opposite of resentment? Gratitude? Appreciation? I don't think holding onto past wrongs or injustices and holding onto past rights necessarily do go together, just because so many people seem to remember the wrongs a lot more.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I voted "I disagree with the premise." I don't think they are opposites and both qualities can be found in the same person but not always. A person could hold onto relationships past the point of being healthy even if that person holds a grudge with their significant other for whatever reason. Maybe the person has a great fear of being without a relationship or is nonconfrontational.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Nope, letting the hate go is the opposite.

"The opposite of love is not hate - it's apathy."

[Either way you put it
    you love someone,
    you hate someone,
    you like someone,
    you're interested in someone,
    etc.]
    You are attached to that person

[When you become apathetic
    you don't care whether you love someone,
    you don't care whether you hate someone,
    you don't care whether you like someone,
    you don't care whether you are interested in someone,
    etc.]
    That person has lost its significance. Attachment to that person through personal feelings have gone away.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No. The opposite of a grudge is having an amiable distance. It's like...I don't hate you, I don't love, but I forgive you and see that what you did is about you and not about me, and I don't want much to do with you anymore. Have a nice day.

The opposite of a grudge is just moving on.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think they can be related. I'm not sure what it stems from - intensity of emotion? Unhealthy attachment style?

In my case, normally I'm relaxed about a lot of things, even things which bother many other people, and I let them go and wouldn't really get offended over them (though sometimes I do take things too personally, but I can usually write those off if I make an effort to be logical about it.) However, if there's been a big buildup of inconsiderate behaviour or if someone has seriously hurt me emotionally, I do have a bad tendency to hold onto grudges. Sometimes for years. It's not good, it's something I need to work on, it's damaging to me, but it's there. There are situations in which I'm unlikely to ever fully forgive a person.

As well, I am a very loyal friend/relationship partner, which I think is a good quality. But I have also found that partly for that reason I have trouble leaving unhealthy relationships and friendships. I get over-attached, in a way. I feel like I should just hang in there and work at it some more (even if the other person plainly doesn't care about working at it), I don't want to be abandoned, I love/care about them too much (or my idea of them) to give it up - that sort of thing.

I do wonder if it's some kind of unhealthy attachment thing...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Banned

That would be limerence.