• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Perfectionism

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Seems like a mental disorder!

Discuss.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Mods can one of you move this to the psychology section, please?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Takenn to the extreme, yes... but that can be said about a lot of personality traits.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Like Andy said, I don't think it's a mental disorder unless taken to the extreme to the point where it seriously interferes with your own or others' lives. Most people have a few things they are rather perfectionistic about but I'd consider that to be more of a quirk, not a disorder.

There is a disorder called Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder but this sounds more global than scope rather than someone who is just very anal about a few things.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My impression of perfectionism (I haven't read a lot at all) is that when something possesses a flaw, it's viewed as completely valueless. That can be a big problem if you're evaluating yourself, others, even ideas, but mostly yourself and others.

From what I remember about object-relations theory, a big milestone for a person is being able to integrate good and bad aspects of something into one thing. If you don't, you're in trouble because everything has bad aspects and you have to develop tolerance if you want to maintain a relationship with those things, instead of just rejecting them and searching for illusory perfection.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I'm the self-destructive kind of perfectionist. Think Black Swan, but without the ballet talent or the neuroticism... generally.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't see a problem with it as long perfectionists don't expect it from others.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
What is perfect?

“Nothing is prefect or God is perfect, which is it? People ascribe to both beliefs and everything in between. I don’t believe in God. I do believe that we are interconnected and I call this a power source that we can tap into. I don’t believe that there is a universal, cognizant, sentient, overlord being. I do believe in a universal interconnectedness but it are based on energy and science and not magic.

There is no such thing as magic and there are no miracles. Everything has a scientific exclamation. Science is perfect because it is based on immutable laws. The downfall of this is that we view reality through distorted lens. This fallibility translates into how we may misinterpret our understandings and scientific findings." LightSun

"What is perfect? Everything is prefect in its own light. It is the inability to see, or better yet, to perceive perfect ion that keeps us confined in mental blindness. It is fear that further deters our ability to reach perfection, for fear creates dividers that make perfection frustratingly elusive.

I define perfection as experiencing one’s own actualization. Perfection is not a physical concept; perception is an emotional and spiritual phenomenon of consciousness and awareness. An essential insight to that awareness is that everything is perfect in its own light." Raven YoungBear

ahriman

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5W4
Perfection is not when nothing more needs to be added. Perfection is when nothing else needs to be taken away.