User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm sort of addicted, but I don't think it's hurting me. If I couldn't go online anymore, I wouldn't go crazy or anything... I'd just miss having that resource readily available.

It's like if you get used to having a store nearby that you can get to in less than a minute, but then they tear it down and you now have to do without what was sold there, or have to go much further to get it (say, drive an hour or two). It's just frustrating, not horrible or unacceptable.

I don't think you can consider yourself addicted to the Internet unless it actually hurts you a lot physically or financially.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post

I don't think you can consider yourself addicted to the Internet unless it actually hurts you a lot physically or financially.
    Psychologically it can harm you and incapacitate one to a degree socially.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

yes. its real.

I'd say I'm fairly addicted to the internet. I don't display any severe problems but I've noticed...

a) When I run out of venues on the internet... There's a sense of 'What do I do now?' that is quickly fufilled by browsing but still the fact that there is a lull in excitement speaks volume for me.

b) It's so easy to access the internet. If there's one nearby I will be online unless I have something else to do.

I think the biggest problem with internet addiction is that it can very easily create this sense of need to do something. That life is constantly go-go-go. With the internet it's much harder to quieten the mind and just relax and do nothing. I suspect that most self-identified addicts have trouble with doing nothing and thinking about nothing.

MBTI
    LoLz

When I was in my depression and spent 6 years of my life online instead of going to high school, getting a job, making friends, etc, I'd say an internet addiction was part of it. That world was just...better than real life.

Though, now, I don't have nearly enough stuff to do on the net anymore. I randomly browse forums for MBTI, Heroes, Kyle XY, Dawson's Creek, Power Rangers, Pokemon and Dragonball Z. I've kept up with a litter of TV shows by having the internet rather than a TV. Though, since I don't have a TV in my room, I'm not as culturally enlightened as other people as I don't really go to the news websites at all. I wouldn't really know about the recession if I didn't hear people talking about it ALL day at work. I'd be playing online games a lot more if my laptop didn't suck. I was wanting to build a new gaming PC, but I bought a GPS instead so that put me back.

The thing is that forums are like an introvert's heaven for socializing. I'm not sure about being able to go 3-4 weeks without the internet. Where do you draw the line? What about students? We use the internet for assignments. I'll make a note of that site and print it out to bring to my psychology class Tuesday. We're doing mental disorders right now, so this is good timing.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I don't know about all of you guys, but my work requires me to be on the internet, so I have a real excuse.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I don't know about all of you guys, but my work requires me to be on the internet, so I have a real excuse.
    Which causes one to wonder if that is why you chose the job in the first place.

It's okay panda. We all have our issues.

MBTI
    INTP

I think internet addiction is no different than any other psychological addiction. I struggle with it sometimes -- find myself sitting at my computer reading a forum, completely bored, but with lots of things IRL that I could be / should be doing.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I think internet addiction is no different than any other psychological addiction. I struggle with it sometimes -- find myself sitting at my computer reading a forum, completely bored, but with lots of things IRL that I could be / should be doing.
    It's called being a P. It's okay, Rhinosaur.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Which causes one to wonder if that is why you chose the job in the first place.

It's okay panda. We all have our issues.
    Yeah it's not that bad, this issue has to compete with other issues of mine, so it's not as consuming.