• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So how does one truly achieve happiness?

Chloe

I dont know how to achieve true happiness but one way I am sure you wont; analyzing life endlessly on the internet. Seriously. The less I think (about life, issues, happiness, blah) the happier I am. Those are just pure teories, lists. Isnt it silly to actually make A LIST for "how to be happy"?! You can go out of the house and be dead next minute. You sure wont be proud that you were making some nerdy lists a minute before that... that have no contact whatsoever with real life.
I think thats one way to be unhappy - analyzing things over and over again. With all different things around you, beauty, to analyze what will make you potentially theorethically happy - wow, talking about neurosis! :D

Smile. Breathe. And dont take things too seriously. Thats what contributes more to my feeling of happiness than anything "greater"; and i always expected that some sense of "meaning" will make me feel happy, but actually its the opposite... I dont care about meaning (thats too heavy word imo) when i feel happy. No need for greater things, when i feel happy - maybe happiness means enjoying things without always wanting more.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Without sadness, happiness would be void of meaning.

Can happiness be reduced to a biochemical state? It could be possible to regulate this in a sophisticated way using an implant.

Where do people here sit on the concept of cognitive liberty? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_liberty
In addition to the choice of being perpetually happy, should individuals be free to choose depression?

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
hmph, I've had enough condescencion, rehashed politically BS and misinformation thrown at me for one day -struts off to palace and closes door-

I'm sure you're joking, and I was partially just messing with you because you have a very flamboyant personality. I wouldn't say you should set your sights any lower. If there's a will there's a way - unless there isn't. The number one reason why projects fail is that they weren't possible in the first place. But if you really want it you'll probably make some progress toward it.

Happy in the end? Who knows.