• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

So how does one truly achieve happiness?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
why am I going to have an unhappy life? are you assuming I'm going to live like a normal person and be unhappy lol

statistically speaking, for someone with those expectations of what they need out of life, yes :)

even if you ARE incredibly hard working (and as someone who interviews people and trains them, I can say that very few people actually fall into that category) you'd also have to be rather skilled as well to get into ANY position in which you could attain that sort of freedom...

if that's what it takes to make you happy anyways :yes:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
statistically speaking, for someone with those expectations of what they need out of life, yes :)

even if you ARE incredibly hard working (and as someone who interviews people and trains them, I can say that very few people actually fall into that category) you'd also have to be rather skilled as well to get into ANY position in which you could attain that sort of freedom...

if that's what it takes to make you happy anyways :yes:

hahahaha foolish woman! you think you can set boundaries on me?

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Without reading the thread, I actually just question the concept of some sort of eternal happiness. A part of me wants to hold on to "make things happy and fun all the time" but many things will still be unpleasant. In fact, I will likely experience long periods of pain and suffering throughout my existence. That's how it goes.

But, I'll jive with the concept of certain optimization strategies.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
questions:

do you have any form of street cred that could transition you easily into a hip hop career... or at least a career as a mob boss?

are you well connected?

are you the favorite nephew of any incredibly rich uncles who are ready to die and leave you the entirety of thier estates?

are you willing to work for 20 years in the same job, sacrificing all forms of outside life, in order to maybe earn such a paycheck?

are you incredibly lucky in playing the lottery?

are you, by national popular standards, incredibly talented?

are you a member of any royal family?

:huh:

not to be practical here, but those ARE valid questions!

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
hahahaha foolish woman! you think you can set boundaries on me?

be wary, there's a difference between people telling you what's not possible and reality simply giving you a swift kick in the rear.

not discounting the possibility of people being wrong or you being unique, just that boundaries are useful when they describe what's actually doable.

rav3n

Elfboy, you've really bought into some serious bullshit. Having money can remove the elements of financial security concerns. But then, you gain other worries of which some can be more concerning.

A happy and content person will find things to be happy about, regardless of where and if they have afternoon high tea. And someone who's dissatisfied with themselves will always find ways to self-sabotage their own happiness. One guaranteed way to self-sabotage is to compare yourself with others and either be smug about what you have or be envious of others.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmph, I've had enough condescencion, rehashed politically BS and misinformation thrown at me for one day -struts off to palace and closes door-

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I want the power to do spontaneous, crazy stuff like "hmm, I'm going to go to Europe for a month just because I feel like it" or "let's fly to japan for a month, take a month long kenjutsu course and have tea at an authentic tea house every day after practice". outrageous spontaneity requires large amounts of cashflow and liquid capital, the middle and lower classes cannot afford to do things like this

If you set your sights a little lower, you can still have that spontaneity in your life as a middle class person...you just have to spontaneously go to the beach or move to another state instead.

I'm glad I'm kind of a hippie because I need that sort of spontaneity too, and while I can't just fly off to Japan, I've kind of moved around the U.S. whenever I wanted and I have more freedom than some people do.

But, no, I can't just say "oh I'm going to take a few months off and go live in England."

Refraining from having children helps, and so does not owning a home. Less responsibility = more freedom....regardless of income.

Some people make three times as much money I do and have tons more responsibility, so my life in some ways is more spontaneous than theirs even though they could plan to vacation in another country more easily than I could.

I think that's all people are trying to tell you. More money does not necessarily equal the ability to just do what you want, in fact sometimes people with less money have more freedom because they're happier with less.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*raises hand*

it really doesn't take much to make me happy (food, water, shelter, the internet, interesting people who I can stalk and sunshine)... I can make happiness out of almost anything if necissary because I just tend to find most things to be quite INTERESTING :yes:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
*raises hand*

it really doesn't take much to make me happy (food, water, shelter, the internet, interesting people who I can stalk and sunshine)... I can make happiness out of almost anything if necissary because I just tend to find most things to be quite INTERESTING :yes:

Yeah I have to have food and not be homeless, and have some friends and pets, and music and the Internet. I don't even need a tv.

I'd rather be able to go out and do things than pay for cable. It's nice to have Netflix, though, but I don't consider it one of the necessities to be comfortable.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
easy access to wikipedia is WAY more important than cable :yes:

and fresh fruit! I don't see how I could be happy if I could never eat fresh pineapple again :boohoo:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
easy access to wikipedia is WAY more important than cable :yes:

and fresh fruit! I don't see how I could be happy if I could never eat fresh pineapple again :boohoo:

I don't comprehend how television can even compete with the Internet...hmmm, I can have information about any question I want to ask, talk to people, and find every song I've ever liked on demand plus new music...or I can watch reality tv and sitcoms. LOL.

Mmm...pineapple.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
that's it! Happiness is The Internet and pineapple! :laugh:

really... getting to actually FIND the answers to my questions (most of the time) is something that Mastercard CAN'T buy :yes:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
that's it! Happiness is The Internet and pineapple! :laugh:

really... getting to actually FIND the answers to my questions (most of the time) is something that Mastercard CAN'T buy :yes:

Yeah and things like love and sex...well I guess you can buy sex...but not the kind that comes with love.

A lot of things that bring happiness can't be bought with money.

Of course, you have to have it though for things like food, clothes, beds, and laptops, or your life is going to be pretty hard.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:yes:

you just don't need to be RICH to really enjoy your life... you just need to be open to the fact that happiness can be anywhere!

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Happiness is pulling an:

Upper-Decker.jpg

on someone you don't particularly care for.

T

ThatGirl

People achieve happiness by letting go of the idea that happiness exists.

rav3n

I don't purport to be anyone who's consistently happy. But what I've learned is that money honestly doesn't buy you happiness.

In retrospect, the times cherished were the simplest of moments, where there was a wide open connection with loved ones or places in nature.

One such moment was on a warm summer's evening with a breeze gently blowing to cool, sitting replete on the balcony after a perfect meal. We were chatting about inconsequential topics where there were moments of contented quiet, soaking up the sunset.

Another shared moment of supreme contentment was sitting together under an outdoor umbrella, a summer rainstorm hammering all around us while we sat dry and warm, enjoying coffee and sharing ice cream.

T

ThatGirl

Lol, I was channeling my inner monk, ass.

It was supposed to mean, that when happiness is not something to be achieved or attained, you drop your desire for it. And then ultimately, feel happier. Sometimes the only way to trick yourself into giving up the idea, is to convince yourself it doesn't exist. :p