User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    why am I going to have an unhappy life? are you assuming I'm going to live like a normal person and be unhappy lol
    statistically speaking, for someone with those expectations of what they need out of life, yes

even if you ARE incredibly hard working (and as someone who interviews people and trains them, I can say that very few people actually fall into that category) you'd also have to be rather skilled as well to get into ANY position in which you could attain that sort of freedom...

if that's what it takes to make you happy anyways
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    statistically speaking, for someone with those expectations of what they need out of life, yes

even if you ARE incredibly hard working (and as someone who interviews people and trains them, I can say that very few people actually fall into that category) you'd also have to be rather skilled as well to get into ANY position in which you could attain that sort of freedom...

if that's what it takes to make you happy anyways
    hahahaha foolish woman! you think you can set boundaries on me?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    XXFP

Without reading the thread, I actually just question the concept of some sort of eternal happiness. A part of me wants to hold on to "make things happy and fun all the time" but many things will still be unpleasant. In fact, I will likely experience long periods of pain and suffering throughout my existence. That's how it goes.

But, I'll jive with the concept of certain optimization strategies.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

questions:

do you have any form of street cred that could transition you easily into a hip hop career... or at least a career as a mob boss?

are you well connected?

are you the favorite nephew of any incredibly rich uncles who are ready to die and leave you the entirety of thier estates?

are you willing to work for 20 years in the same job, sacrificing all forms of outside life, in order to maybe earn such a paycheck?

are you incredibly lucky in playing the lottery?

are you, by national popular standards, incredibly talented?

are you a member of any royal family?

not to be practical here, but those ARE valid questions!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    XXFP

hahahaha foolish woman! you think you can set boundaries on me?
    be wary, there's a difference between people telling you what's not possible and reality simply giving you a swift kick in the rear.

not discounting the possibility of people being wrong or you being unique, just that boundaries are useful when they describe what's actually doable.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Elfboy, you've really bought into some serious bullshit. Having money can remove the elements of financial security concerns. But then, you gain other worries of which some can be more concerning.

A happy and content person will find things to be happy about, regardless of where and if they have afternoon high tea. And someone who's dissatisfied with themselves will always find ways to self-sabotage their own happiness. One guaranteed way to self-sabotage is to compare yourself with others and either be smug about what you have or be envious of others.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

hmph, I've had enough condescencion, rehashed politically BS and misinformation thrown at me for one day -struts off to palace and closes door-
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I want the power to do spontaneous, crazy stuff like "hmm, I'm going to go to Europe for a month just because I feel like it" or "let's fly to japan for a month, take a month long kenjutsu course and have tea at an authentic tea house every day after practice". outrageous spontaneity requires large amounts of cashflow and liquid capital, the middle and lower classes cannot afford to do things like this
    If you set your sights a little lower, you can still have that spontaneity in your life as a middle class person...you just have to spontaneously go to the beach or move to another state instead.

I'm glad I'm kind of a hippie because I need that sort of spontaneity too, and while I can't just fly off to Japan, I've kind of moved around the U.S. whenever I wanted and I have more freedom than some people do.

But, no, I can't just say "oh I'm going to take a few months off and go live in England."

Refraining from having children helps, and so does not owning a home. Less responsibility = more freedom....regardless of income.

Some people make three times as much money I do and have tons more responsibility, so my life in some ways is more spontaneous than theirs even though they could plan to vacation in another country more easily than I could.

I think that's all people are trying to tell you. More money does not necessarily equal the ability to just do what you want, in fact sometimes people with less money have more freedom because they're happier with less.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*raises hand*

it really doesn't take much to make me happy (food, water, shelter, the internet, interesting people who I can stalk and sunshine)... I can make happiness out of almost anything if necissary because I just tend to find most things to be quite INTERESTING

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    *raises hand*

it really doesn't take much to make me happy (food, water, shelter, the internet, interesting people who I can stalk and sunshine)... I can make happiness out of almost anything if necissary because I just tend to find most things to be quite INTERESTING
    Yeah I have to have food and not be homeless, and have some friends and pets, and music and the Internet. I don't even need a tv.

I'd rather be able to go out and do things than pay for cable. It's nice to have Netflix, though, but I don't consider it one of the necessities to be comfortable.