User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

have a short attention span... then things that happen that are bad don't really matter that much because something shiny just caught your attention

reward yourself

tell people when they do a good job... their smiles make it totally worth the effort

make your own fun... people who depend on other people or things for fun are the ones who are bored/boring

say thank you, and mean it... with a smile
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Happiness is having a sense of peace within yourself.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

it's not all that complicated
    1) grow your skills. fuck other people at first. the most important think in your life is YOU. so take care of yourself, treat yourself well and grow your skills so you can gain the economic value/success to have the option of doing what you want
    2) use them to get a bunch of money
    3) gain complete autonomy and independence
    4) figure out what you REALLY want to do, including
    - lifestyle
    - what your main "thing" is
    - what you want to learn
    - a to do list of crazy fun things you want to do before you die
    - what is most important to you in life
    5) do all of it. the world is your oyster
    6) marry a beautiful man/woman with a great personality that shares you values and prefered lifestyle
    7) have lots of sex
    8) have plenty of time to relax, reflect and enjoy the quite moments of life
    9) have a supportive group of close friends and possibly a few groups of acquaintences
    10) give back if you want to (not required, but most people genuinely want to). at this point, you will have more influence to help people than most of the self-sacrificing, self righteous losers who think what they do is actually of consequence
    11) express yourself however you want to
    12) pamper the shit out of yourself and treat yourself like a king
    13) you don't have to be a "nice guy" but you'll probably feel better if you're not a total douche bag

I can boil this down into 3 steps
    1) get money
    2) get autonomy
    3) do whatever the fuck you want for the rest of your life
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I think the first mistake in the OP is assuming that happiness is an 'achievement', rather than a regular steady-state.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Happiness is having a sense of peace within yourself.
    That sounds more like contentment.

MBTI
    INTP

The people with Alzheimer's have the shortest attention span of us all. Everybody says they are so happy!

How to get Alzheimer's.

1. Drink and smoke all the time.
    2. Eat trash food only.
    3. Abstain from your conjugal duties.

And live happily ever after.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I can boil this down into 3 steps
    1) get money
    2) get autonomy
    3) do whatever the fuck you want for the rest of your life
    Well actually no that doesn't lead to happiness though trust me that I can understand the appeal of such a thing. Think of simple things like enjoying a day at the ocean, reading an amazing book, having an enjoyable dinner with friends or being in love. Those things are far more important I'd say.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

the mistake most people make is the you DO need money and at least a certain degree of material possession to be happy. whether you like it or not, your circumstances do effect your health, your relationships and your brain. safety, security, sex, comfort, sleep and freedom are all things that are required to be truly happy. yes, hapiness is primarily a state of mind and it is greatly effected by the way that you think, but to think that you can be totally happy in any situation is politically correct BS with no scientific backing and no logical backing. it is nothing but an excuse the people tell themselves to validate the state of their existance and feel a sense of accomplishment without going out their and getting what they truly want. instead, they cop out and hide their real desires in their subconscious
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

You are right - there is a certain amount of money that is quite helpful and a lack of it does impair happiness. However, I believe the studies show that after a certain point of financial security that the amount of money one has does not have a high correlation with happiness. I don't recall how much that is but it is far less than I had imagined.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Well actually no that doesn't lead to happiness though trust me that I can understand the appeal of such a thing. Think of simple things like enjoying a day at the ocean, reading an amazing book, having an enjoyable dinner with friends or being in love. Those things are far more important I'd say.
    step 3 includes all of that that. I never said money was required for everything that brings happiness, but it is required for several facets of it. that being said, enjoying a day at the ocean usually takes money unless you are a surfer or live with a tribe of beach combing hunter-gatherers. money essentially is options. with money, you have the option of doing expensive things or inexpensive things; without money, you can only do what is inexpensive and miss out on a lot. therefore, I've decided I want to make a lot of money because it allows you do experience more without having to make the painful either-or choices that accompany lack of financial wealth
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    step 3 includes all of that that. I never said money was required for everything that brings happiness, but it is required for several facets of it. that being said, enjoying a day at the ocean usually takes money unless you are a surfer or live with a tribe of beach combing hunter-gatherers. money essentially is options. with money, you have the option of doing expensive things or inexpensive things; without money, you can only do what is inexpensive and miss out on a lot. therefore, I've decided I want to make a lot of money because it allows you do experience more without having to make the painful either-or choices that accompany lack of financial wealth
    Yes, I decided to make a lot of money too. Just realize what it costs you to do that and that there are tradeoffs with everything in life.

With respect to enjoying a day at the ocean, if you live in Northern California (as I once did), you can go to Stinson Beach for the day. It only costs the gas that it takes to get there. Going to the beach is only one simple example though. There are hundreds of such things to do.

Tri-type 639