• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Highly sensitive people

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, I have this problem. Once in a while, (usually out of the blue, possibly under perceived threat/ stress), I go through phases of high anxiety leading to fatigue and depression.

During my psych clinical a while back, the patients were supposed to take a test about hypersensitivity/highly sensitive people. (I took the test in my head myself as I read over it.) I found that a lot of the anxieties that I have could possibly be due to that. I read further into it, and fit the bill for someone who is highly sensitive at times. (Taking in a lot of subtle details in depth, becoming overwhelmed, overly sensitive, insecure, paranoid, very empathic. I don't withdraw, though. In fact, I talk more.) It's not extreme to the point where I'm out of reality, but very uncomfortable. It could almost be super functioning if there wasn't the emotional factor to go along with it. That part is debilitating. It's a sense of greatly heightened awareness.
(It's always just a phase, 1 to 6 months or so of depression and/or anxiety.)

In general it impacts my functioning just a little bit, where I am able to perform at the minimum to keep my life normal. I'm going through one of these phases at the moment, and the old techniques seem to be just a quick fix lately.

Anyone else have this problem?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't know for me if it's anxiety that causes depression or depression causes anxiety. it might be a loop not sure

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know for me if it's anxiety that causes depression or depression causes anxiety. it might be a loop not sure

:yes: I'm pretty sure for me it's the super over awareness causing anxiety causing fear and decreased functioning causing depression. (I used to try to treat the depression and found that treating the anxiety has been more effective.)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm glad you figured that out. that's a good thing to know.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm glad you figured that out. that's a good thing to know.

Well......yeah. That helps a lot. I'm not sure what to do when the old stuff doesn't work though!! I'm going tanning today and taking my supervitamin. Could make it better or make it worse. I don't want to scare all my coworkers and patients. (The other day I was checking on a dying patient every hour. It was good, but it was rather more excessive than my norm.) The thought process was very aware but anxious. "She's still breathing! She's in pain! She needs morphine! Turn her over! Needs some chapstick! CALL THE HOSPICE! (All stuff that I would normally do anyway, but perhaps not with such... zest.... or something.) Just one of many examples.

The family was probably thinkin' "Somebody needs to give you some morphine, lady!"

I was supposed to stop drinking all together to curb the depression and tearfulness. I stopped for a few weeks. Caved and had a beer last night, though. Just needed to take the edge off a bit.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i understand i still drink and sometimes wonder if it's a good idea, but than i drink anyways.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i understand i still drink and sometimes wonder if it's a good idea, but than i drink anyways.

Yep!!! Exactly. It's such a quick and effective fix.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
true that, if i had weed that works better for me I didn't break down til i quit smoking weed.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can't relate. Have a nice day. :solidarity:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I am exactly like you, ShortnSweet.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think either the HSP definition is extremely easy to relate to, or it's very common, or both (or my sample is skewed...). Nearly my entire immediate family fits the definition perfectly. There's also a lot of overlap with introverts and/or Fi.

Anyway, sorry to hear that you're having a rough time. :hug:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
how do i find out if i am...i feel pretty empathetic and sensitive but can you explain more?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think either the HSP definition is extremely easy to relate to, or it's very common, or both (or my sample is skewed...). Nearly my entire immediate family fits the definition perfectly. There's also a lot of overlap with introverts and/or Fi.

Anyway, sorry to hear that you're having a rough time. :hug:

I read somewhere that 20 percent of people have the trait. (It's really just a trait.) For me, it doesn't seem to be there all the time. When it is there, it bothers me. It may be there all the time, but there are times that I may protect it or don't feel it as much.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think I definitely have it, and it greatly contributes to my tendency toward depression and anxiety. I would love to know what it's like NOT to be highly sensitive to my surroundings and expectations of me, others' needs, etc. It's exhausting.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how do i find out if i am...i feel pretty empathetic and sensitive but can you explain more?

http://healing.about.com/od/empathic/a/HSP_hallowes.htm. This article explains it in positive terms. Earlier I was reading things that weren't so complimentary but can't find them. (There was one on similar minds which associated it with a lot of depression and anything else that happens when you are taking in too much information at once.)

I don't know enough about it to explain a lot on my own without showing you articles. From what I have read so far, this is a good one to start. I can't relate to all of it, but I can relate to a lot of it. (It seems to be more common in introverted intuitives, according to this.)

Edit: Seems kind of NFish actually.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
thanks for the link. i'll check it out...but...if it's associated to depression it probably doesn't explain what i had in mind that it might...although i think i can feel what that feels like...i mean i think i get what you mean...overwhelmed and acutely aware of expectations and others feelings and thoughts towards you..i understand how that could lean to depression for some people.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
thanks for the link. i'll check it out...but...if it's associated to depression it probably doesn't explain what i had in mind that it might...although i think i can feel what that feels like...i mean i think i get what you mean...overwhelmed and acutely aware of expectations and others feelings and thoughts towards you..i understand how that could lean to depression for some people.

That sounds about right. You probably do have the trait if you think you do. I don't think HSP's are always depressed. I think it's just more common. It explains a HELL of a lot for me!

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sorry you're going through that! I relate to going through episodes of depression/anxiety which last for months at times, but I don't think I'm a highly sensitive person. I've read about it and there is too much I don't identify with. I think I might have some of the tendencies, but not enough to really be HSP.

I certainly identify though with being depressed/anxious in a way that I can continue functioning, but kind of at a minimum. I'll continue working but might call in sick a bit more because I feel so overwhelmed. I might then have days when I feel literally unable to get out of bed. I cancel optional commitments due to being vaguely "sick," and that sort of thing.

I probably wouldn't get anxious as far as feeling that something physically bad will happen to me, or to others around me, but just anxious about how others perceive me, about my life prospects, etc. And I'd have depression symptoms like eating and sleeping badly, persistent negative thoughts, fatigue, etc.

This happened to me for the better part of Feb/March/April this year and I think I'm just recovering properly now. It is usually triggered by emotional disappointment or shock, and perhaps too much demands from others on me - in this case it was both, for sure.

I hope you feel better soon :hug:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sorry you're going through that! I relate to going through episodes of depression/anxiety which last for months at times, but I don't think I'm a highly sensitive person. I've read about it and there is too much I don't identify with. I think I might have some of the tendencies, but not enough to really be HSP.

I certainly identify though with being depressed/anxious in a way that I can continue functioning, but kind of at a minimum. I'll continue working but might call in sick a bit more because I feel so overwhelmed. I might then have days when I feel literally unable to get out of bed. I cancel optional commitments due to being vaguely "sick," and that sort of thing.

I probably wouldn't get anxious as far as feeling that something physically bad will happen to me, or to others around me, but just anxious about how others perceive me, about my life prospects, etc. And I'd have depression symptoms like eating and sleeping badly, persistent negative thoughts, fatigue, etc.

This happened to me for the better part of Feb/March/April this year and I think I'm just recovering properly now. It is usually triggered by emotional disappointment or shock, and perhaps too much demands from others on me - in this case it was both, for sure.

I hope you feel better soon :hug:

Thank you. :)

That Feb/ Mar/ April thing is interesting. Time of year has to affect moods. I noticed my issues are always more prominent around those months as well. What did you do to get over it? Just wait?

For me, the anxiety is for the same thing- worried about what others are thinking and being overly sensitive to people around me. At work I'm surrounded by a lot of people with a lot of issues and physical pain, as well. It's a bit of information overload. Sometimes I go to work the next day with this fear that I've done something terribly wrong and I'm going to get called in and fired. (Because I'm dealing with a lot, I'm always afraid that I may have missed something.) The other day I got called in and nearly had a massive panic attack, only to find that I got an excellent review and a big raise. Phew! I'm just picking up on all these people and their issues surrounding me, many many things at a time. (And obviously I can't deal with every single one of them, and only hoping I'm prioritizing correctly.)

When I first started in health care as an aide, I remember crying a lot for a few months for no reason. Usually exercise makes my mind very clear and strong, (not scattered and all over the place) and I feel fine. Lately it's less effective.