• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Highly sensitive people

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I learned and it might not be healthy but to block certain feelings the problem is they come back with a vengence but I can block them long enough to help someone in a crisis I just haven't learned how to properly deal with them..

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hey SHort n Sweet. I relate all too well. I didn't know that it could be inherited, but my mom is an INF and has it too. About 3 years ago a friend introduced me to some info she thought might help me, on being "overly-empathic." I don't talk about it much because alot of people scoff at shit like this, believing its a blanket diagnoses that gets thrown out like candy from the modern psychiatric community. Fact is, there are people so overly empathic they feel physical sensations and pain when seeing others hurt. They've proven this with brain monitors and neuro activity observation. As for me, I don't overly identify with the physical sensations of others, but far too much emotionally. This is why I can't stand seeing others humiliated or abused. (aside from simply being immoral) it's also why I have recently developed over sensitivity to horror movies, or dark movies, and can get really choked up over things others might perceive as everyday life. This "over-sensitivity" ties right in with other beliefs I have on a more spiritual/energy vibration level.. and I think that some peoples energy is truly more sensitive, operating at a higher frequency. In one study, they actually found it common for overly empathic people to have extremely porous skin, easily absorbing outside toxins. Funny story, when I tried to quit smoking.. I put on a 4 mg nicotene patch. I was smoking over a half pack a day.. so this was extremely minor to my normal nic dose. I fell asleep and woke up 2 hours later in a sick sweat, ripped the patch off, and was poisened from the patch so bad we had to call poison control and go to ER. I had crawled my way to the toilet, and friends had to carry me to the car. ER said they had never seen anything like it, and that my skin had actually sponged all the nicotene at once. Diet is extremely big for OS people, and part of the reason I am trying to move to a 90% raw food diet. My advice is to take special care of your diet and nutritiion, and make time every day to go somewhere or do something that calms you. Meditation can do wonders, if your into that hippie shit =P

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A card carrying HSP here. I used to hang out a lot on the forums actually.
Check out the book - The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron (I think that's spelt right). That's like the first port of call. There's loads of internet resources too. It mostly relates to introverts unfortunately, but HSP extroverts are pretty common. If you check out all the resources, and still relate, it's an eye opener.
I cried when I first read the book.
It's not just an NF thang, there are ESFJ, ISFJ, ENFP, INFJ, ISFP, ESFP, INTJ (who'da thunk?), INTP, INFP.....That I've personally interacted with. It does range from chemical sensitivities to emotional, but almost inevitably if you have one, you have aspects of all types of sensitivities.
My personal experience is that it doesn't even seem as common as 20%. There seems to be a genetic component to it, and there is some scientific basis to it. PM me if you have questions. I'm fairly well acquainted with resources and communities associated with HSP (or I was).

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know about the label 'HSP' (don't we do enough labelling with MBTI?). but I can relate to it. I've always been like that: on edge, hyper vigilant, in-tune with others' emotional states. I already self-medicate with a little pot and alcohol pretty much daily, but I want to stop that. I have found that running or cycling makes me feel better, but I can't just run a little; it has to be at least 45 minutes of running or a couple of hours of cycling to feel a positive effect, and the harder the better.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey SHort n Sweet. I relate all too well. I didn't know that it could be inherited, but my mom is an INF and has it too. About 3 years ago a friend introduced me to some info she thought might help me, on being "overly-empathic." I don't talk about it much because alot of people scoff at shit like this, believing its a blanket diagnoses that gets thrown out like candy from the modern psychiatric community. Fact is, there are people so overly empathic they feel physical sensations and pain when seeing others hurt. They've proven this with brain monitors and neuro activity observation. As for me, I don't overly identify with the physical sensations of others, but far too much emotionally. This is why I can't stand seeing others humiliated or abused. (aside from simply being immoral) it's also why I have recently developed over sensitivity to horror movies, or dark movies, and can get really choked up over things others might perceive as everyday life. This "over-sensitivity" ties right in with other beliefs I have on a more spiritual/energy vibration level.. and I think that some peoples energy is truly more sensitive, operating at a higher frequency. In one study, they actually found it common for overly empathic people to have extremely porous skin, easily absorbing outside toxins. Funny story, when I tried to quit smoking.. I put on a 4 mg nicotene patch. I was smoking over a half pack a day.. so this was extremely minor to my normal nic dose. I fell asleep and woke up 2 hours later in a sick sweat, ripped the patch off, and was poisened from the patch so bad we had to call poison control and go to ER. I had crawled my way to the toilet, and friends had to carry me to the car. ER said they had never seen anything like it, and that my skin had actually sponged all the nicotene at once. Diet is extremely big for OS people, and part of the reason I am trying to move to a 90% raw food diet. My advice is to take special care of your diet and nutritiion, and make time every day to go somewhere or do something that calms you. Meditation can do wonders, if your into that hippie shit =P

Thank you very much, excellent response.

It also confirms a lot of stuff for me, too. I didn't think it was a blanket diagnosis.. When I first heard of it it resonated with me but I was in a bit of denial.. "no, no, I'm not sensitive." (Actually developed a very thick shell to make me appear to be the opposite, and the shell helps, nobody would ever see me this way.) I finally recently had to just cave and admit to the issue. I don't relate to being too sensitive to medications, (and a lot of the physical aspects), but sometimes feel like I'm physically on the "needy" side. If I don't get my daily exercise and my good nutrition and my multivitamin and stretching and certain amount of sun and sleep and socialization and reflection than I get grumpy. My ex boyfriend used to call me "princess" for this reason. Physically high maintenance. He used to tell his friends that his job was my daily maintenance. Often achey if I don't take care of myself. Have some allergies. Emotionally if I let down my guard at all then all this stuff starts pouring in and I can't handle it. I always thought of it as "Fi." Like a child that needs a lot of sheltering and protection.

I am not necessarily "into" this stuff, would rather not be. It's just a personality trait that I loathe about myself and feel that I want to do something to curb or fix it.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one. :). It almost sounds like you are this way stronger than a lot of people. I see it as a problem. (Well, not like YOU have a big problem, but I just think it's harder to overcome stuff when you're taking in too much subtle information from your environment all the time.)

A card carrying HSP here. I used to hang out a lot on the forums actually.
Check out the book - The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron (I think that's spelt right). That's like the first port of call. There's loads of internet resources too. It mostly relates to introverts unfortunately, but HSP extroverts are pretty common. If you check out all the resources, and still relate, it's an eye opener.
I cried when I first read the book.
It's not just an NF thang, there are ESFJ, ISFJ, ENFP, INFJ, ISFP, ESFP, INTJ (who'da thunk?), INTP, INFP.....That I've personally interacted with. It does range from chemical sensitivities to emotional, but almost inevitably if you have one, you have aspects of all types of sensitivities.
My personal experience is that it doesn't even seem as common as 20%. There seems to be a genetic component to it, and there is some scientific basis to it. PM me if you have questions. I'm fairly well acquainted with resources and communities associated with HSP (or I was).

Oh! thank you, I WILL PM you, Crystal, I want to know more. I'm running out the door at the moment but you will get something very soon.

I don't know about the label 'HSP' (don't we do enough labelling with MBTI?). but I can relate to it. I've always been like that: on edge, hyper vigilant, in-tune with others' emotional states. I already self-medicate with a little pot and alcohol pretty much daily, but I want to stop that. I have found that running or cycling makes me feel better, but I can't just run a little; it has to be at least 45 minutes of running or a couple of hours of cycling to feel a positive effect, and the harder the better.

:yes: Clears the psyche or something.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not really a label. It just is, or it's that way for me. It was a big whopping piece of the puzzle for me. If you have an answer, a name for what it is you experience, then it goes a long way in finding how to deal with it all. It was all very black and white for me though. My life before and after finding this out was significantly different.

Last edited:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I put on a thick shell for years because of this, but that too took a toll on me. It becomes its own burdon to bear when you have to haul your armor around with you.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not really a label. It just is, or it's that way for me. It was a big whopping piece of the puzzle for me. If you have an answer, a name for what it is you experience, then it goes a long way in finding how to deal with it all. It was all very black and white for me though. My life before and after finding this out was significantly different.

Oh, I'm sure. I'm really starting to feel like a big weight is lifting off my shoulders knowing this. Before, I just felt like a big selfish brat, now I'm starting to understand more.

Edit: I saw that you edited and it said "TMI" but would like to hear more if you could. (If it's private, just PM it.)

I put on a thick shell for years because of this, but that too took a toll on me. It becomes its own burdon to bear when you have to haul your armor around with you.

:yes:

Thank you folks. I think I just needed some confirmation.

Last edited:

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, I'm sure. I'm really starting to feel like a big weight is lifting off my shoulders knowing this. Before, I just felt like a big selfish brat, now I'm starting to understand more.

Edit: I saw that you edited and it said "TMI" but would like to hear more if you could. (If it's private, just PM it.)
It's not private, I Just realised it might sound a bit intense and oober dramatic. I was suicidal, or close to before I found out. I really did think I was wired wrong. Bear in mind though, I wasn't surrounded by people who thought High sensitivity was a rare bloom that should be cherised (or even tolerated ). It should be stamped out for my own good. Problem was I was getting recurrent infections, I have a great deal of muscular problems, lower back, neck and shoulders from being tense ALL THE TIME. Very high strung. (Okay I'm still that, LOL). Never got any sleep...my mind can be like a hive of bees trapped inside a glass bottle. Sleep was a BIG issue (and is for a lot of HSP). I thought I was really screwed up and defective. So realising I had to take care of myself a little more, and that I wasn't "wired" wrong, I was just another version of normal was a HUGE relief. Biggest thing for me....is that it's okay not to be extrovert. If I need to go some where quiet, and hear myself think, then I should let myself.

OmarFW

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
This seems like more of a chemical imbalance in the brain than anything cognitive.

Insufficient serotonin for example can make anybody depressed no matter what cognition or how developed and stable they are.

Getting plenty of vitamin C is a very easy way to lower cortisol levels which in turn will help stabilize moods and cut down on stress/anxiety.

I take 500mg of timed release vitamin C a day and whenever I miss a day I can just feel my average level of anxiety rocket upwards.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:yes: I'm pretty sure for me it's the super over awareness causing anxiety causing fear and decreased functioning causing depression. (I used to try to treat the depression and found that treating the anxiety has been more effective.)

By "super over awareness" do you mean hypervigilance?

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This seems like more of a chemical imbalance in the brain than anything cognitive.

Insufficient serotonin for example can make anybody depressed no matter what cognition or how developed and stable they are.

Getting plenty of vitamin C is a very easy way to lower cortisol levels which in turn will help stabilize moods and cut down on stress/anxiety.

I take 500mg of timed release vitamin C a day and whenever I miss a day I can just feel my average level of anxiety rocket upwards.
I hate it when people tell me it's a chemical inbalance. It amounts to the same thing as you are wired wrong. When I get a second, I'll pull up some of the science papers that indicate across the board, at least in mammals about 15-20% of the population is considered to be Highly sensitive. Especially in pack animals, the HS as a part of the group confer a definite advantage. Hypervigilant means real dangers are percieved quicker, so action can take place faster.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not private, I Just realised it might sound a bit intense and oober dramatic. I was suicidal, or close to before I found out. I really did think I was wired wrong. Bear in mind though, I wasn't surrounded by people who thought High sensitivity was a rare bloom that should be cherised (or even tolerated ). It should be stamped out for my own good. Problem was I was getting recurrent infections, I have a great deal of muscular problems, lower back, neck and shoulders from being tense ALL THE TIME. Very high strung. (Okay I'm still that, LOL). Never got any sleep...my mind can be like a hive of bees trapped inside a glass bottle. Sleep was a BIG issue (and is for a lot of HSP). I thought I was really screwed up and defective. So realising I had to take care of myself a little more, and that I wasn't "wired" wrong, I was just another version of normal was a HUGE relief. Biggest thing for me....is that it's okay not to be extrovert. If I need to go some where quiet, and hear myself think, then I should let myself.

I think that knowing that it is normal is a huge relief for me as well. Being an extrovert, it's probably a bit easier. I get relief from saying how I'm feeling out loud. (I don't go into great detail, but will talk about a general state of anxiety with people, and also can relieve a lot of anxiety with social interaction and physical exercise and doing things outside of myself.) Reading about the HSP's, I guess that it should be valued in a way. I never realized that a lot of good comes from it.

By "super over awareness" do you mean hypervigilance?

I had to look up hypervigilance to see if that's what it meant. But yes, that's close to what I mean. I think sometimes the "super over awareness" is fine and not associated with any threat or paranoia. I just tend to be quite attuned to the environment. And sometimes it can turn into hypervigilance, and I think that's where it becomes something I don't like. It feels barbaric. (Like perhaps my brain is awaiting an emergency.) I had a period of very intense panic attacks which were probably related to this as well.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate it when people tell me it's a chemical inbalance. It amounts to the same thing as you are wired wrong. When I get a second, I'll pull up some of the science papers that indicate across the board, at least in mammals about 15-20% of the population is considered to be Highly sensitive. Especially in pack animals, the HS as a part of the group confer a definite advantage. Hypervigilant means real dangers are percieved quicker, so action can take place faster.

Yeah, thank you. :yes:
I thought I just had a whole series of chemical imbalances. (I guess this is still possible.) If I'm hypersensitive then it would explain a whole lot more and make the whole picture make a lot more sense. The reason that I even clung to this term was because it came up in my own thought process, (without looking it up, though of course I had heard about it a while back and thought it may be true, and forgot about it, in that clinical.) I was laying there one day, recently, in depression and reflection, trying to figure out what the problem was. (I like to fix things.) And I thought about how some people had called me insensitive in the past, and I wanted it that way. And then I thought, "Well, actually, the problem is that I keep trying to be tough all the time. I'm actually quite the opposite of insensitive. I'm TOO sensitive. I'm like, EXTREMELY sensitive! And then I started thinking of all the traits that made me think that this might be true. Like, the reaction to criticism, and the depth at which I notice my patient's problems, and all the times I turned "off" in times of emotional despair, not letting anybody in for great fear of doing further damage. And then I started to think of all the heightened awareness of everything that goes on around me in busy times. Then I looked it up, "hypersensitive" was the word. (I remembered hearing about super sensitive people), and found that many of the other traits fit as well. So, that's why I'm suspicious that it's not just an imbalance, it's a personality trait.

Edit: And people often say, "well that's strange- anxiety and panic doesn't seem to fit into your personality at all." But sensitivity does. It creates a very major missing link in the picture.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
I experience the same thing every day except without the depression part. I do get nervous often, though.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
I especially relate to the "hyper-awareness" part of the description.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
I think I definitely have it, and it greatly contributes to my tendency toward depression and anxiety. I would love to know what it's like NOT to be highly sensitive to my surroundings and expectations of me, others' needs, etc. It's exhausting.

It wouldn't be too bad since you wouldn't be able to perceive the effects of not having those things.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I especially relate to the "hyper-awareness" part of the description.

:yes: I think that's the trait of hsp's that I relate to as well. Being very aware of all these subtle nuances of everything that happens seems to be the trait that leads to all the other traits.