User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    maybe so. it just always seemed to me to correspond well to Ne's ability to see an overall pattern and then just having comfort/familiarity of intrapersonal landscapes thanks to Fi.
    The enneagram motivations certainly correlate with certain functions but more in the sense that they use your cognition rather than shape it.

at least that's the way I see it.
    I WEAR A SOMBRERO TO WORK AND EAT TACOS FOR LUNCH AND FIRE MY PISTOLS IN THE AIR WHEN I'M HAPPY

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I believe it's connected to Si. I also believe part of what I feel as emotional intensity is connected to Si.

I think Si and Fi are married in an NFP. I'm not sure we can fully pull them apart.
    I am new to this whole personality types by letters and numbers thing but arn't people still individuals? I am wondering how much external factors can effect a persons personality type so they take on charactoristics of other types. For instance if you take the personality type that is the least perseptive naturaly and put them in an abusive situation, naturaly they will have to adapt to read the situation so to keep safe. If someone calls you stupid for years, eventially you will build up a sensitivity to that word no matter what personality type you are. I don't think MBTI can be used as a blanket...I am new at this stuff so I may not understand fully but to me personality is all encompassing and can not be so easily summed up.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by mumblebee View Post
    I am new to this whole personality types by letters and numbers thing but arn't people still individuals?
    Yes because typology systems and inventories are not supposed to and do not try to evaluate someone 100%. Being an ENFJ for example simply means you utilize a certain cognition style which a certain group of people in society also utilize whom we refer to collectively as ENFJs. Cognition however is just a process and is not the only building block in our personalities.

I am wondering how much external factors can effect a persons personality type so they take on charactoristics of other types.
    It depends on the type (especially enneagram type) when it comes to adopting external characteristics but external influences are always a factor in shaping a persons personality (specifically growing up).

I don't think MBTI can be used as a blanket...I am new at this stuff so I may not understand fully but to me personality is all encompassing and can not be so easily summed up.
    That is the right approach to take with the MBTI. Many people use it as an excuse for unhealthy behavior, but if you learn more about the Jungian cognitive functions that the MBTI is built upon and just how your specific and unique cognition operates, it can be more of a tool for understanding of others and self-improvement rather than a tool for labeling and the over-simplification of the human personality.
    I WEAR A SOMBRERO TO WORK AND EAT TACOS FOR LUNCH AND FIRE MY PISTOLS IN THE AIR WHEN I'M HAPPY

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I certainly identify strongly with HSP descriptions but I've never been quite sure what I'm meant to take from it; what its meant to mean. I don't wish to undermine the theory exactly but I don't know what's the point of categorising it. Of course, people exist on a scale of sensitivity; we can perceive this anecdotally.

Its interesting and all but it just seems like information without any direction.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Wow, its erie how much I can relate to what youv'e said....it's like your best qualities turn around and poison you. I work in a non traditional trade for a women and it is important for me to be taken seriously and not get "emotional", but even though woodworking is something is a calling for me, the environment is definaitly not! Also I can't explain how deeply I feel for someone that is hurting....I feel such an intense amount of pain for people when I know thier hurting that in some cases (especially is a child is abused in anyway) I feel physically sick and profoundly hurt for them.
    Also about your I talk more comment, I find that too....I can be having a mild anxiety attack, and be joking my ass off....I'm on fire (LOL).
    hahaha, yep!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I certainly identify strongly with HSP descriptions but I've never been quite sure what I'm meant to take from it; what its meant to mean. I don't wish to undermine the theory exactly but I don't know what's the point of categorising it. Of course, people exist on a scale of sensitivity; we can perceive this anecdotally.

Its interesting and all but it just seems like information without any direction.
    For me, the trait is strong enough to be the apparent source of many of my issues. It's actually a really BIG DEAL that there's a name for it. I don't know if you're supposed to do anything with it except to be aware about how it might affect your life, (so you don't feel like some kind of a weirdo when you're reacting a little differently to things than others.) Just knowing that it's normal helps. It's also just plain interesting.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Hey SHort n Sweet. I relate all too well. I didn't know that it could be inherited, but my mom is an INF and has it too. About 3 years ago a friend introduced me to some info she thought might help me, on being "overly-empathic." I don't talk about it much because alot of people scoff at shit like this, believing its a blanket diagnoses that gets thrown out like candy from the modern psychiatric community. Fact is, there are people so overly empathic they feel physical sensations and pain when seeing others hurt. They've proven this with brain monitors and neuro activity observation. As for me, I don't overly identify with the physical sensations of others, but far too much emotionally. This is why I can't stand seeing others humiliated or abused. (aside from simply being immoral) it's also why I have recently developed over sensitivity to horror movies, or dark movies, and can get really choked up over things others might perceive as everyday life. This "over-sensitivity" ties right in with other beliefs I have on a more spiritual/energy vibration level.. and I think that some peoples energy is truly more sensitive, operating at a higher frequency. In one study, they actually found it common for overly empathic people to have extremely porous skin, easily absorbing outside toxins. Funny story, when I tried to quit smoking.. I put on a 4 mg nicotene patch. I was smoking over a half pack a day.. so this was extremely minor to my normal nic dose. I fell asleep and woke up 2 hours later in a sick sweat, ripped the patch off, and was poisened from the patch so bad we had to call poison control and go to ER. I had crawled my way to the toilet, and friends had to carry me to the car. ER said they had never seen anything like it, and that my skin had actually sponged all the nicotene at once. Diet is extremely big for OS people, and part of the reason I am trying to move to a 90% raw food diet. My advice is to take special care of your diet and nutritiion, and make time every day to go somewhere or do something that calms you. Meditation can do wonders, if your into that hippie shit =P
    I can relate really well to all this.

It has always been a combination of mental state, food and my surroundings. I take long walks and/or listen to music and/or talk nonsense and/or read. (Last week itself, I read 5 books...stress around me) If all else fails, I cry or I unburden myself on someone who understands and we reason me out of that.

I didn't know about the chemical absorption thing. I wonder if it's related to my food allergy issues.

EDIT: I've been known to feel pain (and occasionally cry) when I see people get hurt, when I read descriptions of people hurting themselves and when I watch (well-made) torture scenes in horror movies.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'm very sensative about my lack of sensitivity, but that's as far is my sensitiveness goes so I can't say I can relate either.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by OmarFW View Post
    Yes because typology systems and inventories are not supposed to and do not try to evaluate someone 100%. Being an ENFJ for example simply means you utilize a certain cognition style which a certain group of people in society also utilize whom we refer to collectively as ENFJs. Cognition however is just a process and is not the only building block in our personalities.

It depends on the type (especially enneagram type) when it comes to adopting external characteristics but external influences are always a factor in shaping a persons personality (specifically growing up).

That is the right approach to take with the MBTI. Many people use it as an excuse for unhealthy behavior, but if you learn more about the Jungian cognitive functions that the MBTI is built upon and just how your specific and unique cognition operates, it can be more of a tool for understanding of others and self-improvement rather than a tool for labeling and the over-simplification of the human personality.
    Great information thanks I find the whole environment vs genetics thing very interesting. Also I question anything that presents itself as an absolute. If you don't realize how much power and control you have over your own self, then you will never see your full potential as an individual. You can let any ideology create your indiviuality if you allow it. Not to say that personality types do not exsist, on the contrary I do believe this is true. I just feel that it is important to take this knowlege in and process it, as opposed to it taking you in and you becoming processed.

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5

I remember when I lived with my dad, I hated living there because there was nothing but drinking and pot smoking going on.
    I'm very allergic to pot smoke which causes me to have anxiety issues. When I was outside away from it, I felt weird. It was all the time.

Since moving more up north, I started eating more and feeling a sense of comfort every day. I can be myself more often, since I am always around my
    Enfj boyfriend. He is off the wall different, gets my sense of humor and is retardedly concerned about my well being, lolz.

It took me a few years to determine why I get so sensitive. This happens when my blood sugar is extremely low, which is from eating too much sugar.
    The sugar causes my blood sugar to sky rocket then crash. The sky rocket feeling causes anxiety, then the crash gives me depression/fatigue.
    This especially happens when I don't eat enough. It's why I stop any shrink dead in their inaccurate tracks who tells me I am bi polar etc.

I explain to them at first, that I hear voices and see blue specks sometimes but then that when I eat or eat properly, it never happens.
    It's always temporary. I believe that a lot of sensitivity comes from blood sugar being out of control. It doesn't help that I'm a feeling.

every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken
    Likes pluviophile liked this post