User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

interesting. i get like this when i am overly tired sometimes. lots of sensory things bother me - everything has to be just so. it's my mini ISTJ pampering me!

i have always been hypersensitive to sounds though. and emotions, though i attribute that to Fi.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    i have always been hypersensitive to sounds though. and emotions, though i attribute that to Fi.
    being sensitive to emotions is not solely an Fi or Fe thing as Ti and Te preferred types can be just as sensitive to that kind of thing as well.

sensitivity to emotion as an ENFP may represent some kind of projection of ethics onto something current. perhaps there are some past emotions you place value in that you have not come to terms with just yet?

that involves Fi, but it is actually more of an Si thing. Since Si is your inferior function your high sensitivity would more likely originate from there than anywhere else.
    I WEAR A SOMBRERO TO WORK AND EAT TACOS FOR LUNCH AND FIRE MY PISTOLS IN THE AIR WHEN I'M HAPPY

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by OmarFW View Post
    being sensitive to emotions is not solely an Fi or Fe thing as Ti and Te preferred types can be just as sensitive to that kind of thing as well.

sensitivity to emotion as an ENFP may represent some kind of projection of ethics onto something current. perhaps there are some past emotions you place value in that you have not come to terms with just yet?

that involves Fi, but it is actually more of an Si thing. Since Si is your inferior function your high sensitivity would more likely originate from there than anywhere else.
    I believe it's connected to Si. I also believe part of what I feel as emotional intensity is connected to Si.

I think Si and Fi are married in an NFP. I'm not sure we can fully pull them apart.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I hate it when people tell me it's a chemical inbalance. It amounts to the same thing as you are wired wrong. When I get a second, I'll pull up some of the science papers that indicate across the board, at least in mammals about 15-20% of the population is considered to be Highly sensitive. Especially in pack animals, the HS as a part of the group confer a definite advantage. Hypervigilant means real dangers are percieved quicker, so action can take place faster.
    Being depressed and anxious can be a chemical imbalance, I'm in agreement with him on that, but being an HSP is different than being depressed and anxious.

I have sensitivity to light and sound. I also am sensitive to smells. That's not linked to my depression, but it can certainly cause anxiety or irritation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I believe it's connected to Si. I also believe part of what I feel as emotional intensity is connected to Si.

I think Si and Fi are married in an NFP. I'm not sure we can fully pull them apart.
    In the sense that Te and Ne can interact as well, but require introverted functions in order to function properly and form complete thoughts.

That's the danger with falling into tertiary loops. Your introverted functions or extraverted functions continue to interact with each other since you essentially can't turn off that interaction but they stop communicating with their introverted or extraverted counterparts and rational thought is halted.

It bugs me though when people play the "OMG TERTIARY LOOP" card whenever you suggest dominant and tertiary function interaction.
    I WEAR A SOMBRERO TO WORK AND EAT TACOS FOR LUNCH AND FIRE MY PISTOLS IN THE AIR WHEN I'M HAPPY

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I used to hang out a lot on the forums actually.
    Would you know where it is now? It was a great resource for reading though I'm unable to find the HSP forums I knew of back in 05, either its closed or moved.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It's weird - I was looking at info on HSP again. There's some stuff I relate to a lot, and some not at all. Being extremely sensitive to nuances, well, that only applies to me in some areas. I'm certainly not finely attuned to sensitivities of taste or smell or texture - probably less than average in some ways! However, I've always been hypersensitive to sudden loud noises. They always terrified me completely when I was little (like thunderclaps or gunshots) and I'm still pretty sensitive to sudden loud noises - in fact my thunderstorm phobia is if anything a bit worse than it used to be. I jump out of my skin if I go to the theatre and there is a gunshot in the play. However, I love loud noises in terms of loud music on my headphones and loud concerts - that energizes rather than exhausts me - but I guess it's not unexpected! I don't generally like surprises and a sudden loud noise is almost like the worst example of that.

Then I get overwhelmed emotionally easily, at least when I've let things pile up, and it can take me months or years to recover from something that a lot of people would consider only a minor emotional shock or disappointment. I try not to dwell on my emotions but find it immensely difficult to not get stuck in them and in vicious Ni-Ti loops.

Shortsie - in terms of the time of year thing - I live in the UK and it is pretty dark here until about the end of March, which is hard for me. (Then it gets wonderfully light in the evenings and mornings, almost too light!). That doesn't help for sure. November has always been a hard month for me too, it has often been a low point. In terms of this year, I think I was heading for a crash anyway around mid-late Jan - if anything I felt too good for the latter half of last year. Then I had some emotional stuff to cope with which basically sent me straight into a downward spiral and unfortunately it lasted about three months.

I sort of waited to get over it, but I didn't take very good care of myself and that made things worse. I was sleeping at odd hours, eating badly etc which are always issues for me but my emotional state exacerbates it. And when I am feeling emotionally terrible and I have to just wait, I find it a horrible feeling. I can feel a kind of despair. At worst I feel like I'm never going to get out of it. Generally I don't feel quite that bad, but I hate the feeling that even if I do get out of it, it will happen to me again at some point. When things are going badly in my life I have a nasty habit of viewing all my problems as part of a grand pattern of failure and difficulty in my life which I will never break out of.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

From what I'm seeing/ feeling, it's not necessarily a sensitivity to one thing or another, it's almost like an oversensitivity to life. I think I related a bit more as a child and toughened up a lot as I got older. (You need to.)
    Yesterday, for instance, I was watching this older couple at work. The woman, mother of 10, has severe dementia. Very sweet tiny little old lady sitting in a geri chair. She had a bib on for some reason. The husband is still with it and came to visit her. He was wearing a little tan hat, kind of like a beret, but i'm not sure of the correct term. His facial expression was lost, and she looks like an elderly child. He was holding her face and looking directly into her eyes, bent over her like he was taking care of a baby, straightening her bib. I can't really describe what I saw in every single detail, but in one glance my heart immediately dropped into my stomach and tears came out of my eyes. It was really embarrassing. An aide was watching me, goes, "Are you crying?" (She knew what I was looking at.) It was so embarrassing that I had to go in the bathroom for a few minutes. (One of many examples.)
    To me, that's a part of "highly sensitive" or "empathic." I feel like I just see too much sometimes. I'm happier when it's turned down or turned off.
    It's really hard to describe, actually, to the point where I feel like I'm hardly describing it at all or making it sound fake. It's a relief to know that there's an actual word for it. (And that word ties a whole lot of crap together that otherwise wouldn't have been tied together.)

I'm reading more about the energies and qualities that can come with being very sensitive. I think it's something that manifests itself in different ways and the manifestations seem to be based on other personality characteristics combined with life experience.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Being depressed and anxious can be a chemical imbalance, I'm in agreement with him on that, but being an HSP is different than being depressed and anxious.

I have sensitivity to light and sound. I also am sensitive to smells. That's not linked to my depression, but it can certainly cause anxiety or irritation.
    Yeah, I have a thing with fluroscent lights. I get migraines from the flickering.
    I see what you are saying, and yes, there no real denying that chemical imbalances do cause depression.
    I've been down that road a long time ago though, and apart from the odd patch of reactive depression, I can't say that I ever been that depressed again. I mean its really simple things for me, like take vacation time occasionally. Making sure I have a couple of hours to myself in the day. Not having to talk straight away when I get home from work (LOL, I had a boyfriend tell me I was worse than most guys about that.) Trying not eat crap. Do lots of walking/excersize, and sleeping. Not sleeping properly can make every thing a bit crap, and that was pretty much the key to most of my issues. That can come across as a chemical imbalance.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I would have thought that working in nursing and that sort of thing would be quite difficult if you are very sensitive emotionally and otherwise. I'm pretty squeamish in terms of dealing with others' sickness and bodily functions and all the rest (not particularly proud of that, but it's true) so I doubt I could handle it on that level, but I find it difficult to be around people who are very ill or dying (which I have been at times in my life, especially in my late teens when quite a few family members and friends died) - because I just want to cry, I feel so sad. I can hold it together when with them but feel overwhelmed and will definitely cry when I'm away from the person or their family members and won't upset them further.

I've felt really stupid sometimes, actually. I've been around people near death, and their family, and they all seem fairly calm (though some of it may be shock, I guess). Whereas I'm teetering on the edge of bursting into big sobs. The only reason that I don't is because I figure I'm there to be a comforting and encouraging presence, as a friend, and bursting into tears wouldn't help that much...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING