First 23456 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I'm pretty sure for me it's the super over awareness causing anxiety causing fear and decreased functioning causing depression. (I used to try to treat the depression and found that treating the anxiety has been more effective.)
    By "super over awareness" do you mean hypervigilance?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OmarFW View Post
    This seems like more of a chemical imbalance in the brain than anything cognitive.

Insufficient serotonin for example can make anybody depressed no matter what cognition or how developed and stable they are.

Getting plenty of vitamin C is a very easy way to lower cortisol levels which in turn will help stabilize moods and cut down on stress/anxiety.

I take 500mg of timed release vitamin C a day and whenever I miss a day I can just feel my average level of anxiety rocket upwards.
    I hate it when people tell me it's a chemical inbalance. It amounts to the same thing as you are wired wrong. When I get a second, I'll pull up some of the science papers that indicate across the board, at least in mammals about 15-20% of the population is considered to be Highly sensitive. Especially in pack animals, the HS as a part of the group confer a definite advantage. Hypervigilant means real dangers are percieved quicker, so action can take place faster.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    It's not private, I Just realised it might sound a bit intense and oober dramatic. I was suicidal, or close to before I found out. I really did think I was wired wrong. Bear in mind though, I wasn't surrounded by people who thought High sensitivity was a rare bloom that should be cherised (or even tolerated ). It should be stamped out for my own good. Problem was I was getting recurrent infections, I have a great deal of muscular problems, lower back, neck and shoulders from being tense ALL THE TIME. Very high strung. (Okay I'm still that, LOL). Never got any sleep...my mind can be like a hive of bees trapped inside a glass bottle. Sleep was a BIG issue (and is for a lot of HSP). I thought I was really screwed up and defective. So realising I had to take care of myself a little more, and that I wasn't "wired" wrong, I was just another version of normal was a HUGE relief. Biggest thing for me....is that it's okay not to be extrovert. If I need to go some where quiet, and hear myself think, then I should let myself.
    I think that knowing that it is normal is a huge relief for me as well. Being an extrovert, it's probably a bit easier. I get relief from saying how I'm feeling out loud. (I don't go into great detail, but will talk about a general state of anxiety with people, and also can relieve a lot of anxiety with social interaction and physical exercise and doing things outside of myself.) Reading about the HSP's, I guess that it should be valued in a way. I never realized that a lot of good comes from it.

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    By "super over awareness" do you mean hypervigilance?
    I had to look up hypervigilance to see if that's what it meant. But yes, that's close to what I mean. I think sometimes the "super over awareness" is fine and not associated with any threat or paranoia. I just tend to be quite attuned to the environment. And sometimes it can turn into hypervigilance, and I think that's where it becomes something I don't like. It feels barbaric. (Like perhaps my brain is awaiting an emergency.) I had a period of very intense panic attacks which were probably related to this as well.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    I hate it when people tell me it's a chemical inbalance. It amounts to the same thing as you are wired wrong. When I get a second, I'll pull up some of the science papers that indicate across the board, at least in mammals about 15-20% of the population is considered to be Highly sensitive. Especially in pack animals, the HS as a part of the group confer a definite advantage. Hypervigilant means real dangers are percieved quicker, so action can take place faster.
    Yeah, thank you.
    I thought I just had a whole series of chemical imbalances. (I guess this is still possible.) If I'm hypersensitive then it would explain a whole lot more and make the whole picture make a lot more sense. The reason that I even clung to this term was because it came up in my own thought process, (without looking it up, though of course I had heard about it a while back and thought it may be true, and forgot about it, in that clinical.) I was laying there one day, recently, in depression and reflection, trying to figure out what the problem was. (I like to fix things.) And I thought about how some people had called me insensitive in the past, and I wanted it that way. And then I thought, "Well, actually, the problem is that I keep trying to be tough all the time. I'm actually quite the opposite of insensitive. I'm TOO sensitive. I'm like, EXTREMELY sensitive! And then I started thinking of all the traits that made me think that this might be true. Like, the reaction to criticism, and the depth at which I notice my patient's problems, and all the times I turned "off" in times of emotional despair, not letting anybody in for great fear of doing further damage. And then I started to think of all the heightened awareness of everything that goes on around me in busy times. Then I looked it up, "hypersensitive" was the word. (I remembered hearing about super sensitive people), and found that many of the other traits fit as well. So, that's why I'm suspicious that it's not just an imbalance, it's a personality trait.

Edit: And people often say, "well that's strange- anxiety and panic doesn't seem to fit into your personality at all." But sensitivity does. It creates a very major missing link in the picture.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

I experience the same thing every day except without the depression part. I do get nervous often, though.
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

I especially relate to the "hyper-awareness" part of the description.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I think I definitely have it, and it greatly contributes to my tendency toward depression and anxiety. I would love to know what it's like NOT to be highly sensitive to my surroundings and expectations of me, others' needs, etc. It's exhausting.
    It wouldn't be too bad since you wouldn't be able to perceive the effects of not having those things.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

It's almost the antithesis of aspergers.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I've always been like that: on edge, hyper vigilant, in-tune with others' emotional states.
    I relate to this as well.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    I especially relate to the "hyper-awareness" part of the description.
    I think that's the trait of hsp's that I relate to as well. Being very aware of all these subtle nuances of everything that happens seems to be the trait that leads to all the other traits.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.