User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 75

  1. #21
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    I learned and it might not be healthy but to block certain feelings the problem is they come back with a vengence but I can block them long enough to help someone in a crisis I just haven't learned how to properly deal with them..
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  2. #22
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Hey SHort n Sweet. I relate all too well. I didn't know that it could be inherited, but my mom is an INF and has it too. About 3 years ago a friend introduced me to some info she thought might help me, on being "overly-empathic." I don't talk about it much because alot of people scoff at shit like this, believing its a blanket diagnoses that gets thrown out like candy from the modern psychiatric community. Fact is, there are people so overly empathic they feel physical sensations and pain when seeing others hurt. They've proven this with brain monitors and neuro activity observation. As for me, I don't overly identify with the physical sensations of others, but far too much emotionally. This is why I can't stand seeing others humiliated or abused. (aside from simply being immoral) it's also why I have recently developed over sensitivity to horror movies, or dark movies, and can get really choked up over things others might perceive as everyday life. This "over-sensitivity" ties right in with other beliefs I have on a more spiritual/energy vibration level.. and I think that some peoples energy is truly more sensitive, operating at a higher frequency. In one study, they actually found it common for overly empathic people to have extremely porous skin, easily absorbing outside toxins. Funny story, when I tried to quit smoking.. I put on a 4 mg nicotene patch. I was smoking over a half pack a day.. so this was extremely minor to my normal nic dose. I fell asleep and woke up 2 hours later in a sick sweat, ripped the patch off, and was poisened from the patch so bad we had to call poison control and go to ER. I had crawled my way to the toilet, and friends had to carry me to the car. ER said they had never seen anything like it, and that my skin had actually sponged all the nicotene at once. Diet is extremely big for OS people, and part of the reason I am trying to move to a 90% raw food diet. My advice is to take special care of your diet and nutritiion, and make time every day to go somewhere or do something that calms you. Meditation can do wonders, if your into that hippie shit =P
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  3. #23
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    A card carrying HSP here. I used to hang out a lot on the forums actually.
    Check out the book - The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron (I think that's spelt right). That's like the first port of call. There's loads of internet resources too. It mostly relates to introverts unfortunately, but HSP extroverts are pretty common. If you check out all the resources, and still relate, it's an eye opener.
    I cried when I first read the book.
    It's not just an NF thang, there are ESFJ, ISFJ, ENFP, INFJ, ISFP, ESFP, INTJ (who'da thunk?), INTP, INFP.....That I've personally interacted with. It does range from chemical sensitivities to emotional, but almost inevitably if you have one, you have aspects of all types of sensitivities.
    My personal experience is that it doesn't even seem as common as 20%. There seems to be a genetic component to it, and there is some scientific basis to it. PM me if you have questions. I'm fairly well acquainted with resources and communities associated with HSP (or I was).
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #24
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    I don't know about the label 'HSP' (don't we do enough labelling with MBTI?). but I can relate to it. I've always been like that: on edge, hyper vigilant, in-tune with others' emotional states. I already self-medicate with a little pot and alcohol pretty much daily, but I want to stop that. I have found that running or cycling makes me feel better, but I can't just run a little; it has to be at least 45 minutes of running or a couple of hours of cycling to feel a positive effect, and the harder the better.

  5. #25
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Hey SHort n Sweet. I relate all too well. I didn't know that it could be inherited, but my mom is an INF and has it too. About 3 years ago a friend introduced me to some info she thought might help me, on being "overly-empathic." I don't talk about it much because alot of people scoff at shit like this, believing its a blanket diagnoses that gets thrown out like candy from the modern psychiatric community. Fact is, there are people so overly empathic they feel physical sensations and pain when seeing others hurt. They've proven this with brain monitors and neuro activity observation. As for me, I don't overly identify with the physical sensations of others, but far too much emotionally. This is why I can't stand seeing others humiliated or abused. (aside from simply being immoral) it's also why I have recently developed over sensitivity to horror movies, or dark movies, and can get really choked up over things others might perceive as everyday life. This "over-sensitivity" ties right in with other beliefs I have on a more spiritual/energy vibration level.. and I think that some peoples energy is truly more sensitive, operating at a higher frequency. In one study, they actually found it common for overly empathic people to have extremely porous skin, easily absorbing outside toxins. Funny story, when I tried to quit smoking.. I put on a 4 mg nicotene patch. I was smoking over a half pack a day.. so this was extremely minor to my normal nic dose. I fell asleep and woke up 2 hours later in a sick sweat, ripped the patch off, and was poisened from the patch so bad we had to call poison control and go to ER. I had crawled my way to the toilet, and friends had to carry me to the car. ER said they had never seen anything like it, and that my skin had actually sponged all the nicotene at once. Diet is extremely big for OS people, and part of the reason I am trying to move to a 90% raw food diet. My advice is to take special care of your diet and nutritiion, and make time every day to go somewhere or do something that calms you. Meditation can do wonders, if your into that hippie shit =P
    Thank you very much, excellent response.

    It also confirms a lot of stuff for me, too. I didn't think it was a blanket diagnosis.. When I first heard of it it resonated with me but I was in a bit of denial.. "no, no, I'm not sensitive." (Actually developed a very thick shell to make me appear to be the opposite, and the shell helps, nobody would ever see me this way.) I finally recently had to just cave and admit to the issue. I don't relate to being too sensitive to medications, (and a lot of the physical aspects), but sometimes feel like I'm physically on the "needy" side. If I don't get my daily exercise and my good nutrition and my multivitamin and stretching and certain amount of sun and sleep and socialization and reflection than I get grumpy. My ex boyfriend used to call me "princess" for this reason. Physically high maintenance. He used to tell his friends that his job was my daily maintenance. Often achey if I don't take care of myself. Have some allergies. Emotionally if I let down my guard at all then all this stuff starts pouring in and I can't handle it. I always thought of it as "Fi." Like a child that needs a lot of sheltering and protection.

    I am not necessarily "into" this stuff, would rather not be. It's just a personality trait that I loathe about myself and feel that I want to do something to curb or fix it.

    It's good to know that I'm not the only one. . It almost sounds like you are this way stronger than a lot of people. I see it as a problem. (Well, not like YOU have a big problem, but I just think it's harder to overcome stuff when you're taking in too much subtle information from your environment all the time.)

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    A card carrying HSP here. I used to hang out a lot on the forums actually.
    Check out the book - The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine Aron (I think that's spelt right). That's like the first port of call. There's loads of internet resources too. It mostly relates to introverts unfortunately, but HSP extroverts are pretty common. If you check out all the resources, and still relate, it's an eye opener.
    I cried when I first read the book.
    It's not just an NF thang, there are ESFJ, ISFJ, ENFP, INFJ, ISFP, ESFP, INTJ (who'da thunk?), INTP, INFP.....That I've personally interacted with. It does range from chemical sensitivities to emotional, but almost inevitably if you have one, you have aspects of all types of sensitivities.
    My personal experience is that it doesn't even seem as common as 20%. There seems to be a genetic component to it, and there is some scientific basis to it. PM me if you have questions. I'm fairly well acquainted with resources and communities associated with HSP (or I was).
    Oh! thank you, I WILL PM you, Crystal, I want to know more. I'm running out the door at the moment but you will get something very soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I don't know about the label 'HSP' (don't we do enough labelling with MBTI?). but I can relate to it. I've always been like that: on edge, hyper vigilant, in-tune with others' emotional states. I already self-medicate with a little pot and alcohol pretty much daily, but I want to stop that. I have found that running or cycling makes me feel better, but I can't just run a little; it has to be at least 45 minutes of running or a couple of hours of cycling to feel a positive effect, and the harder the better.
    Clears the psyche or something.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  6. #26
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    It's not really a label. It just is, or it's that way for me. It was a big whopping piece of the puzzle for me. If you have an answer, a name for what it is you experience, then it goes a long way in finding how to deal with it all. It was all very black and white for me though. My life before and after finding this out was significantly different.
    Last edited by CrystalViolet; 05-24-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: TMI
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #27
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    I put on a thick shell for years because of this, but that too took a toll on me. It becomes its own burdon to bear when you have to haul your armor around with you.

  8. #28
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    It's not really a label. It just is, or it's that way for me. It was a big whopping piece of the puzzle for me. If you have an answer, a name for what it is you experience, then it goes a long way in finding how to deal with it all. It was all very black and white for me though. My life before and after finding this out was significantly different.
    Oh, I'm sure. I'm really starting to feel like a big weight is lifting off my shoulders knowing this. Before, I just felt like a big selfish brat, now I'm starting to understand more.

    Edit: I saw that you edited and it said "TMI" but would like to hear more if you could. (If it's private, just PM it.)

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I put on a thick shell for years because of this, but that too took a toll on me. It becomes its own burdon to bear when you have to haul your armor around with you.


    Thank you folks. I think I just needed some confirmation.
    Last edited by King sns; 05-24-2011 at 12:40 PM. Reason: To comment on Crystal's edit.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  9. #29
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Oh, I'm sure. I'm really starting to feel like a big weight is lifting off my shoulders knowing this. Before, I just felt like a big selfish brat, now I'm starting to understand more.

    Edit: I saw that you edited and it said "TMI" but would like to hear more if you could. (If it's private, just PM it.)
    It's not private, I Just realised it might sound a bit intense and oober dramatic. I was suicidal, or close to before I found out. I really did think I was wired wrong. Bear in mind though, I wasn't surrounded by people who thought High sensitivity was a rare bloom that should be cherised (or even tolerated ). It should be stamped out for my own good. Problem was I was getting recurrent infections, I have a great deal of muscular problems, lower back, neck and shoulders from being tense ALL THE TIME. Very high strung. (Okay I'm still that, LOL). Never got any sleep...my mind can be like a hive of bees trapped inside a glass bottle. Sleep was a BIG issue (and is for a lot of HSP). I thought I was really screwed up and defective. So realising I had to take care of myself a little more, and that I wasn't "wired" wrong, I was just another version of normal was a HUGE relief. Biggest thing for me....is that it's okay not to be extrovert. If I need to go some where quiet, and hear myself think, then I should let myself.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #30
    Member OmarFW's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    84

    Default

    This seems like more of a chemical imbalance in the brain than anything cognitive.

    Insufficient serotonin for example can make anybody depressed no matter what cognition or how developed and stable they are.

    Getting plenty of vitamin C is a very easy way to lower cortisol levels which in turn will help stabilize moods and cut down on stress/anxiety.

    I take 500mg of timed release vitamin C a day and whenever I miss a day I can just feel my average level of anxiety rocket upwards.
    I WEAR A SOMBRERO TO WORK AND EAT TACOS FOR LUNCH AND FIRE MY PISTOLS IN THE AIR WHEN I'M HAPPY

Similar Threads

  1. Extraverted HSP (highly sensitive person)
    By alcea rosea in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM
  2. High Sensitivity to Stress in Children
    By Vasilisa in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 02:32 PM
  3. HSP's--Highly Sensitive Persons
    By IndyGhost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
  4. Highly Sensitive Person
    By run in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 06:37 PM
  5. Highly Sensitive People
    By Lexlike in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 03:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO