User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 75

  1. #11
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    I think either the HSP definition is extremely easy to relate to, or it's very common, or both (or my sample is skewed...). Nearly my entire immediate family fits the definition perfectly. There's also a lot of overlap with introverts and/or Fi.

    Anyway, sorry to hear that you're having a rough time.
    -end of thread-

  2. #12
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    how do i find out if i am...i feel pretty empathetic and sensitive but can you explain more?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  3. #13
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I think either the HSP definition is extremely easy to relate to, or it's very common, or both (or my sample is skewed...). Nearly my entire immediate family fits the definition perfectly. There's also a lot of overlap with introverts and/or Fi.

    Anyway, sorry to hear that you're having a rough time.
    I read somewhere that 20 percent of people have the trait. (It's really just a trait.) For me, it doesn't seem to be there all the time. When it is there, it bothers me. It may be there all the time, but there are times that I may protect it or don't feel it as much.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  4. #14
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    I think I definitely have it, and it greatly contributes to my tendency toward depression and anxiety. I would love to know what it's like NOT to be highly sensitive to my surroundings and expectations of me, others' needs, etc. It's exhausting.
    Something Witty

  5. #15
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    how do i find out if i am...i feel pretty empathetic and sensitive but can you explain more?
    http://healing.about.com/od/empathic/a/HSP_hallowes.htm. This article explains it in positive terms. Earlier I was reading things that weren't so complimentary but can't find them. (There was one on similar minds which associated it with a lot of depression and anything else that happens when you are taking in too much information at once.)

    I don't know enough about it to explain a lot on my own without showing you articles. From what I have read so far, this is a good one to start. I can't relate to all of it, but I can relate to a lot of it. (It seems to be more common in introverted intuitives, according to this.)

    Edit: Seems kind of NFish actually.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  6. #16
    mod love baby... Lady_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so
    Posts
    18,086

    Default

    thanks for the link. i'll check it out...but...if it's associated to depression it probably doesn't explain what i had in mind that it might...although i think i can feel what that feels like...i mean i think i get what you mean...overwhelmed and acutely aware of expectations and others feelings and thoughts towards you..i understand how that could lean to depression for some people.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

  7. #17
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    thanks for the link. i'll check it out...but...if it's associated to depression it probably doesn't explain what i had in mind that it might...although i think i can feel what that feels like...i mean i think i get what you mean...overwhelmed and acutely aware of expectations and others feelings and thoughts towards you..i understand how that could lean to depression for some people.
    That sounds about right. You probably do have the trait if you think you do. I don't think HSP's are always depressed. I think it's just more common. It explains a HELL of a lot for me!
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

  8. #18
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    I'm sorry you're going through that! I relate to going through episodes of depression/anxiety which last for months at times, but I don't think I'm a highly sensitive person. I've read about it and there is too much I don't identify with. I think I might have some of the tendencies, but not enough to really be HSP.

    I certainly identify though with being depressed/anxious in a way that I can continue functioning, but kind of at a minimum. I'll continue working but might call in sick a bit more because I feel so overwhelmed. I might then have days when I feel literally unable to get out of bed. I cancel optional commitments due to being vaguely "sick," and that sort of thing.

    I probably wouldn't get anxious as far as feeling that something physically bad will happen to me, or to others around me, but just anxious about how others perceive me, about my life prospects, etc. And I'd have depression symptoms like eating and sleeping badly, persistent negative thoughts, fatigue, etc.

    This happened to me for the better part of Feb/March/April this year and I think I'm just recovering properly now. It is usually triggered by emotional disappointment or shock, and perhaps too much demands from others on me - in this case it was both, for sure.

    I hope you feel better soon
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Everyone's HSP.

  10. #20
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I'm sorry you're going through that! I relate to going through episodes of depression/anxiety which last for months at times, but I don't think I'm a highly sensitive person. I've read about it and there is too much I don't identify with. I think I might have some of the tendencies, but not enough to really be HSP.

    I certainly identify though with being depressed/anxious in a way that I can continue functioning, but kind of at a minimum. I'll continue working but might call in sick a bit more because I feel so overwhelmed. I might then have days when I feel literally unable to get out of bed. I cancel optional commitments due to being vaguely "sick," and that sort of thing.

    I probably wouldn't get anxious as far as feeling that something physically bad will happen to me, or to others around me, but just anxious about how others perceive me, about my life prospects, etc. And I'd have depression symptoms like eating and sleeping badly, persistent negative thoughts, fatigue, etc.

    This happened to me for the better part of Feb/March/April this year and I think I'm just recovering properly now. It is usually triggered by emotional disappointment or shock, and perhaps too much demands from others on me - in this case it was both, for sure.

    I hope you feel better soon
    Thank you.

    That Feb/ Mar/ April thing is interesting. Time of year has to affect moods. I noticed my issues are always more prominent around those months as well. What did you do to get over it? Just wait?

    For me, the anxiety is for the same thing- worried about what others are thinking and being overly sensitive to people around me. At work I'm surrounded by a lot of people with a lot of issues and physical pain, as well. It's a bit of information overload. Sometimes I go to work the next day with this fear that I've done something terribly wrong and I'm going to get called in and fired. (Because I'm dealing with a lot, I'm always afraid that I may have missed something.) The other day I got called in and nearly had a massive panic attack, only to find that I got an excellent review and a big raise. Phew! I'm just picking up on all these people and their issues surrounding me, many many things at a time. (And obviously I can't deal with every single one of them, and only hoping I'm prioritizing correctly.)


    When I first started in health care as an aide, I remember crying a lot for a few months for no reason. Usually exercise makes my mind very clear and strong, (not scattered and all over the place) and I feel fine. Lately it's less effective.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

    My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Similar Threads

  1. Extraverted HSP (highly sensitive person)
    By alcea rosea in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM
  2. High Sensitivity to Stress in Children
    By Vasilisa in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 02:32 PM
  3. HSP's--Highly Sensitive Persons
    By IndyGhost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
  4. Highly Sensitive Person
    By run in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 06:37 PM
  5. Highly Sensitive People
    By Lexlike in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 03:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO