123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Smart kids are unpopular.

I remember as a kid being different in any way could be very traumatizing. For me, it was pale skin, big glasses, (in the early years), being chubby, (for a couple of years), not having a father, and awkward displays of intelligence. (Even post glasses.) In elementary school, it's not such a big deal. When I reached around fifth grade, I moved away from my friends, and was trying to make new friends in the new school.

My best topics were math and creative writing. I remember writing some essay for DARE. Innocent small town girl, I had very little knowledge and no experience of drugs. I wrote the essay quickly at the last minute one night, trying to imagine whatever I was writing about to be true. (A completely fiction story.) I turned in the essay, and they were judged, (it was a contest.) I was sick that day, but apparently I had won. Got to school and all the kids told me the news. The teacher came up to me and had this intense stare in her eyes and asked bluntly where this came from, and what experience was I drawing from. (She probably thought I had an awful home life.) I said, (smiling from ear to ear),"None! I just imagined the scenario and the words came on their own!" She asked me to read at some big state wide conference, (I turned it down, I didn't want to read in front of people.) The next minute I remember my best friend getting really mad and crying and didn't talk to me for three days.

My teachers used to make these really huge spectacles of all my writing in class, invariably reading every story I made to the whole class. Sometimes they tried to be anonymous, but I started to get these awful glares from fellow classmates. I was so proud of my work, but I didn't like the negative attention at all. (On top of this, I had somehow figured out the last name vs. schedule system in my school and if someone could tell me their last name I could tell them what class they were going to. All fun and games until kids start snickering behind my back and "accidentally" dropping books on my head.)

Finally after one too many people asked me if I had been reading a dictionary lately, (apparently big words are weird), I just thought it was easier to act normal and make light of the more average side of my personality.

(Bolding the next part for those who wanted to skip to the point. )

Based on a lot of stuff I've read on this site, I'm guessing a lot of people can relate. Did you find that you were forced to stifle certain things about yourself to get by in school? I think that this kind of mindset rings true in adulthood (to a lesser extent) as well. A lot of people are outstanding in some way- why can't outstanding be the norm?
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    yupp

I wasn't smart, or at least I wasn't viewed as smart. I kept to myself and still was hated and didn't fit in got picked on. I think it's more of being different than it is being smart.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I wasn't smart, or at least I wasn't viewed as smart. I kept to myself and still was hated and didn't fit in got picked on. I think it's more of being different than it is being smart.
    This still indicates that you stood out in some way, no?

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    yupp

yeah it did. that's why i added the being different part.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

yeah it did. that's why i added the being different part.
    I don't understand why there's so much animosity towards anybody who is different/ indicates that they are different. Why does this evoke such a strong reaction in kids and people? You'd think the different person murdered someone. (When in reality, everyone is different. So not only are people hiding their differences, but some are also acting cold towards others whose differences are more obvious.) It's a strange mindset.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In elementary school, many of my peers called me "brain" and respected me for being smart and getting good grades.

It was ironic that as soon as I went to middle school, the attitude changed: Kids trying to feel more secure about themselves found many ways to put others down or present them as "uncool". My peers now would make fun of me if I got the highest grade, and if I didn't get the highest grade on something, they would also make fun of me.

I also remember when I broke my ankle in 7th grade and had to use crutches. The kids either would sneakily steal my entire crutch and hide it in the room, or they would take the foam cushion piece off the top and pretend (I guess you should see this coming) it was a part of male anatomy, making obscene gestures with it and passing it around the class so I could not get it. (Especially since I had a broken ankle.)

It was just a horrible time in my life. Just lots of stupid, mean, petty things that made no rational sense to me, so not only did I take it personally, but I hated it because it was stupid, pointless, and unfair (since I was typically considerate of everyone regardless).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

well i can say before 5th i don't know why i was shunned, but in 5th i got in trouble for biting a girl and than allegdely calling her nigger, i did bite her but i never said she was a nigger. but she is a bitch. and she said "bite me" after that I understood why.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

well i can say before 5th i don't know why i was shunned, but in 5th i got in trouble for biting a girl and than allegdely calling her nigger, i did bite her but i never said she was a nigger. but she is a bitch. and she said "bite me" after that I understood why.
    hahaha, that's awesome... Literally biting someone when they ask for it.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    yupp

I'm a very literal person someone says mangos in reference to breast i picture mangoes.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    In elementary school, many of my peers called me "brain" and respected me for being smart and getting good grades.

It was ironic that as soon as I went to middle school, the attitude changed: Kids trying to feel more secure about themselves found many ways to put others down or present them as "uncool". My peers now would make fun of me if I got the highest grade, and if I didn't get the highest grade on something, they would also make fun of me.

I also remember when I broke my ankle in 7th grade and had to use crutches. The kids either would sneakily steal my entire crutch and hide it in the room, or they would take the foam cushion piece off the top and pretend (I guess you should see this coming) it was a part of male anatomy, making obscene gestures with it and passing it around the class so I could not get it. (Especially since I had a broken ankle.)

It was just a horrible time in my life. Just lots of stupid, mean, petty things that made no rational sense to me, so not only did I take it personally, but I hated it because it was stupid, pointless, and unfair (since I was typically considerate of everyone regardless).
    It's so true. Those times make you stifle the most important parts of yourself. (Unless the most important parts of yourself happen to be excellence in beauty or athletics.)

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.