User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    I was deemed gifted and put in "special" classes in jr. high. Then, all AP all the way thru..... But I did ok socially, since I was a girl who liked to dress up. I had a few great friends and a large circle I was a part of (some of them of average intelligence, but our circle accepted almost anyone), and was generally well-accepted. Dated and whatnot, no problems getting little sociopath boyfriends.
    I think it's more about trying a bit to be included, which a lot of really smart people just don't do.
    Perhaps, but why work to be included in something that doesn't appeal to you anyway? There were always much better things to do with my time.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Perhaps, but why work to be included in something that doesn't appeal to you anyway? There were always much better things to do with my time.
    If it didn't appeal to me, I certainly would not waste my own time.... yes, I think I understand the reasons. (Some of us were just too darned sex-crazed and distracted for that lol). But overall, it would've suited me well to be a bit more focused on my studies during that time, myself.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

i hung out with pretty much anybody who did what i wanted to do.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

I actually thought being smart in my elementary school was something most people try to strive for. Then again, there wasn't much to be thought about whether you were smart or not.

Middle school was a different story. Puberty must have gotten into people's heads or something. If being cool meant that you needed to be an asshole, than that was that. There wasn't really any cliques I stayed in. I've watched people play Yu-Gi-Oh, hang out with cliques in the Cafeteria, hung out with people that stayed with teachers during lunch, hung out with people at the library (some of those people were the ones playing with cards...) I was practically...wherever. As long as I didn't bud heads with people's puberty (like people getting detention or were forced into intersession.)

High school, being smart was in par with being "cool." Generally speaking, I hung out with people who didn't really form cliques. It was just, if you're a "cool" person, I don't care what background you came from. You can be smart, you can like anime, you can like sports, you can be whatever ethnicity you were, and whatever. You can hang out with us during lunch. Heck, my class president was both cool and smart. People that graduated the top of the class were also cool.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

No, because I was pretty good at sports too, so making fun of me wasn't that easy, probably. Plus, I was nerdy in an ENTJ way, so I would always put up a fight if someone were to harass me greatly.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I was in the accelerated classes in elementary school, which basically spelled NERD to everyone in the regular classes... I compensated for that by being a good athlete and having the ability to kick the ass of anyone who actually CALLED me a nerd (which meant a lot of fighting when I went to the state geography bee... 4 times )... I discovered that it's better to be feared than to be taunted!

In middle school I was in the popular crowd... I maintained social status by manipulating people, running the black market homework trade and being a good athlete... I was also an officer in the science club and was in band, but had gotten classy enough to get someone else to beat up anyone who made a big deal of it by then. Fear is a very useful tool in middle school

In high school I decided that the popular crowd was really boring, and like marm, I wandered off and hung out with the soccer players, exchange students and smart kids... they were a lot more fun! nobody made a big deal about it or anything because it was assumed that I'd probably end up rich some day AND I could still kick thier asses!

I have the reputation for being "quite quirky" at work, but it's balanced with a reputation for being the most fun person that anyone can work with... if you're going to be smart or odd, you've pretty much GOT to have some qualities considered cool in order to survive socially, it seems
    Second place in the Texas Geography Bee in 8th Grade. Yeah, I'm one-upping you here

Wasn't really picked on consistently in school, which was surprising, since I was one of the smaller kids growing up. At the same time, I wasn't exactly invited to everyone's birthday parties, either. I was relatively well-known, and most people had a fairly good opinion of me, but I absolutely gave off an arrogant vibe that turned people away. I also didn't really party all that much, and didn't like to "bring myself down" to the level of normal conversation. You know, being depressed and stuck in the shadow NiTe prickishness.

One of the big things is that my schools were continually tracked from 6th grade onwards. We didn't have much abuse heaped upon the "smart kids" because they were all in honors classes, and everyone else in regulars classes, and the two groups really didn't mix all that much, as far as I could tell. We had an off-campus PE program, which saved me from the unique horrors of the high school locker room (I wasn't the most athletic of kids, mostly because I didn't have the patience for it... ahh, ADHD, is there any part of my life you can't screw up?)

In the honors program, even the ones who were dickish toward me at times ended up becoming fairly friendly after a while. Must have been my winning personality, ha. It helped to have a wide range of interests and topics of discussion. So one of the people who at first acted fairly assholish towards me became a good conversation partner through sharing strategies for Final Fantasy X. Another one of them gained respect when tagging along on a quiz bowl tournament (I was very good at quiz bowl, and it's a shame that I traded that for booze and drugs in college).

Unfortunately, after high school, some of the deficiencies of my childhood caught up to me in a big way, leading to a worsening of the dysthymic depression and social anxiety that would plague me for the last 8 years. Adding alcohol to the equation didn't make things any easier. This made getting to know people very difficult, and limited my relationship experience significantly.

So, it's funny - people like me because I'm smart, and have interesting things to talk about. It was because I was a mopey wreck that they'd be turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Unfortunately, after high school, some of the deficiencies of my childhood caught up to me in a big way, leading to a worsening of the dysthymic depression and social anxiety that would plague me for the last 8 years. Adding alcohol to the equation didn't make things any easier. This made getting to know people very difficult, and limited my relationship experience significantly.

So, it's funny - people like me because I'm smart, and have interesting things to talk about. It was because I was a mopey wreck that they'd be turned off.
    You know, it is because of middle school and high school that I am the way I am.

Even though most people in middle school and high school were cool with me (nothing to really say that they like me or hate me,) the damage has sort of been done by a few events and a few people who I did have a thing against. It is rare for me to talk to someone for a whole day, in real life, let alone long enough to strike a good conversation (that is only left to people I actually do trust.)

Though I've been trying. It's a point of frustration. I can get what I am trying to say typing or on a piece of paper easily, but when it comes to talking, it takes a while or I won't say it at all.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    You know, it is because of middle school and high school that I am the way I am.
    Are you sure? I used to think that, but eventually realized I was treated as I was because of the way that I was (not that that excuses much of it). I actually prefer that.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Are you sure? I used to think that, but eventually realized I was treated as I was because of the way that I was (not that that excuses much of it). I actually prefer that.
    Nope. Like I said, it was because of a few people and a few events. Being the way I was may have just a little bit to do with it, but hardly was it the major cause. But ehhh, not going to play the victim.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

At school? Yeah, a bit. At work? More so.

Apparently people's fear that they will be labelled as thick doesn't go away with age. I still get these problems even when dealing with people in their sixties. It seems that admitting you're not as bright as some people is a big step. It also causes problems if you've been taught to treat people as your equal unless they prove they deserve otherwise.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?