User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I had a hard time dealing with the cliques. Trust me, I wanted to just fit in as well as anyone else. My grades and personality put me into that cursed nerd category that has become such a pop culture type of phenomenon. In the past a scholar was perhaps the victim of jealousy, but not the victim of a stupid title that is seen as a BAD thing.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
    I had a hard time dealing with the cliques. Trust me, I wanted to just fit in as well as anyone else. My grades and personality put me into that cursed nerd category that has become such a pop culture type of phenomenon. In the past a scholar was perhaps the victim of jealousy, but not the victim of a stupid title that is seen as a BAD thing.
    Yeah, that really blows. But now imagine getting rejected by nerds because you aren't good enough. Now that *really* sucks.

MBTI
    ESFJ

In primary school (7-11 yr olds) i never considered/paid attention to the smart/nerdy people .. We were just friends and we all got our heads down and got on with our work.

I noticed the dynamics change significantly in secondary school (12+). Bearing in mind i went to a really rough school with a 1000 kids. After the first year of being bullied and moving class, i was aware that to be smart/nerdy was frowned upon and made you a target. So for me it was easy to adapt, i was the class clown in some lessons, got my head down in other subject (Geography and History ). Noone said anything because i'd of hit them.

I do remember 2 lads in my form who were incredibly nerdy. They spoke the queens English beautifully, never misbehaved and although their social skills were lacking slightly, we all went and spoke/incorporated them during team exercises. Actually they were rather adorable in their uniqueness.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Yeah, that really blows. But now imagine getting rejected by nerds because you aren't good enough. Now that *really* sucks.
    I sympathize there as well. I fell into somewhat of a lesser nerd stage when school became less important than my own knowledge. Thus, my GPA wouldn't allow me to have any discussion with the so called "genius" crowd. Sometimes my ideas were too outlandish for them and they hated being challenged on anything so it was impossible.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I must have grown up in the Twilight Zone. I was harassed and picked on all through elementary school. It happened some in middle school, but a lot less. And by the time I reached high school I never had any problems. Actually in high school I probably harassed the popular kids more than the other way around. (I hung out with a group of ENTP's, and we would make sarcastic comments or quick retorts about almost anything that happened.)
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

At my high school 80-90% of the top classes for any given subject were made up of the popular or moderately popular kids. The rest were mostly made up of the freakishly intelligent, nerdy types. I didn't really fit into either group so I tried to hide in the corner and pretend I didn't exist. Fortunately the smart, popular kids were much nicer to me than the those of average to low intelligence (regardless of their level of popularity)
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

I was semi-nerdy and invisible in elementary, but flipped out in around middle school. In highschool, I was kind of popular in an infamous sort of way. I didn't stay long.. Literally too cool for school. I would have been better off invisible.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I was deemed gifted and put in "special" classes in jr. high. Then, all AP all the way thru..... But I did ok socially, since I was a girl who liked to dress up. I had a few great friends and a large circle I was a part of (some of them of average intelligence, but our circle accepted almost anyone), and was generally well-accepted. Dated and whatnot, no problems getting little sociopath boyfriends.
    I think it's more about trying a bit to be included, which a lot of really smart people just don't do.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
    I was deemed gifted and put in "special" classes in jr. high. Then, all AP all the way thru..... But I did ok socially, since I was a girl who liked to dress up. I had a few great friends and a large circle I was a part of (some of them of average intelligence, but our circle accepted almost anyone), and was generally well-accepted. Dated and whatnot, no problems getting little sociopath boyfriends.
    I think it's more about trying a bit to be included, which a lot of really smart people just don't do.
    See, that makes me think that it might be the appearance of a smart person, rather than being smart. I know there are some problems with just putting a label on someone, but when a kid comes dressed up in lame jeans, a t-shirt referencing some video game or Dungeons and Dragons and a haircut similar to the Beatles, you can't help but think that they might be singled out as that "Smart kid who gets picked on" rather than someone who appears to be well groomed, looking like they belong with the in crowd.

So I think I've reached my standpoint that the appearance is more important to the visually adept teenagers, rather than the grades themselves.
    "Others should not judge what you truly are, instead you should find yourself. You may find yourself in a bowl of cereal or dreaming of the unknown, but make sure it is you who finds you." - Myself

ENTP
    Extroverted (E) 56.76% Introverted (I) 43.24%
    Intuitive (N) 64.29% Sensing (S) 35.71%
    Thinking (T) 62.5% Feeling (F) 37.5%
    Perceiving (P) 75% Judging (J) 25%

9w8 SP/SX
    Neutral

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Wow you guys have had rough times. I have never really understood the very "typical" American social hiearchies(and anywhere in general). I can't say that i have had the same experiences regarding bullying, during my time in integrating into the social life of the western school system the more prominent problem that i faced was segregation and colliding identities. It was group versus group dynamic, rather then invidual interaction between popular members and less popular ones. The bullying mentality and social hierarchy were absent, and group members always protected each other and they were largely egaliterian in mutual concern(whatever you want to call it "brotherhoods"), and outsiders deviants, or people with less social standing did not enjoy the same level of interaction were treated casually, but never with abuse. Without saying the most obvious, i think there needs to be some heavily embedded prejudices and what they call "psychological( god damn it, forgot the term for it) cultural bias", which is that certain set of values and perception of the identity of the social sphere is constructed by community, and conformity is enforced by negative sanctions, like bullying and social exclusion. That system versus a range of segregrated groups who all have differing identities.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."