User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I was the smartest panda in the prison, though.
    Good! Means you had more books to hide shivs in (as well as your Magic Rohypnol Lollies)...
    Last edited by mrcockburn; 05-20-2011 at 02:17 AM. Reason: grammar
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Glycerine

I was considered "smart" and was kinda popular. Supposedly, I knew everyone's business and people knew who I was? I have yet to figure that mystery out.....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I was friends with smart people, truth tell most were seen in a positive light and encouraged to prosper. Myself, I was neither here nor there, I simply was being.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I was the smartest panda in the prison, though.
    http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/63765/detail/

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I recognize that it's a stereotype and is even probably true for a lot of places, but for my whole elementary-high school it was completely false (elementary was redneck country, middle was mixed backgrounds from ghetto to well-off, and high school was a gifted school that also taught non-gifted).

Pretty much all the popular kids were smart. Maybe not geniuses, but smart enough to get As and Bs, and go on to university afterwards. I can't think of any popular kid who was actually dumber than average, even in elementary/middle school. That's not to say that being smart made you popular, unfortunately, but it definitely did not make you unpopular. In my experience the unpopular kids were poor and/or lacking in social skills and/or coming from kinda messed up homes so they didn't look "presentable" or have all the cool clothes. Being smart was irrelevant if you were one of those kids, and a postive if you happened to be confident, middle class or higher, and/or good-looking.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    By & large, most of the smart kids at my school were not popular. There were a few who were well-liked by most, regardless of their clique, which technically is popular, but they weren't a part of the "in-crowd" (which is what I assume most mean when they say popular).

I personally did well in school academically, but I was not popular because 1) I didn't care & so I made no effort to befriend people, and 2) I was a loner, and 3) I had an odd/cold demeanor that put people off a bit. I wasn't teased though, just mostly ignored & forgotten, which is what I think I wanted. Occasionally I saw the eyes roll or heard a snicker when I got the highest test score in the class yet again, but I took that to be resentment more than mocking.

Of course, there was the over-achiever crowd who were not nerds & were well-known, but they were still seen as a bit nerdy by the in-crowd types.

Not to pull the "jealousy" card, but to a degree, I think some kids resent the smart kids, as school comes easily to them, and so they seek to pull them down to their level by nitpicking what seems inferior about them (their appearance, their ability to socialize, etc). In a similar vein, the typical nerd may dismiss those types as dumb jocks (or whatever), seeking to devalue their strengths to make their own seem superior.
    This was the crowd that I identified with the most. (They called me their "leader", because I was the loudest and had the most friends outside the group.) I found them to be too intense and hated them by the time it was all said and done. There were about 7 of us, with the occasional tag along or two. Safety in numbers.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, that was pretty much it. It sounds cliche, but the male athletes and the female beauties were in charge for those few years. (Things got a little better in high school. Part of the reason? Most of the preppy, snobbish kids with their crazy cliques attended the local private school rather stooping to attend public school... meaning we got rid of them. Thank goodness.)
    Yeah, instead, people like me had to deal with those brats. Went to private school to have a shot in hell of getting somewhere, but I wasn't rich, smart, cool, coordinated, artsy, or anything of any consequence. I hardly think the flies on the wall cared about me, even....It was as though I didn't even exist, unless guys wanted to taunt me or lazy procrastinators wanted to copy my homework.

Sucks when you don't fit in anywhere...not even in the misfits. For extraverts, that really, really BLOWS.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    For extraverts, that really, really BLOWS.
    I didn't think about that. I mean, I'm not going to pretend that having 3 bratty cheerleader girls verbally harass me for 4 years, and eventually escalate to physical violence didn't have an effect on me... But I wasn't ever bothered by the isolation so much. I would have been fine with just being ostracized/ignored, because I kept to myself anyway. But I didn't consider how that might be different for an extrovert who craves the interaction.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    When I was in school it was cool to be smart, nerdy, skater, punk, hip hop, preppy, or typical as long as you were the extreme version of any of those characteristics. It seemed the worst thing you could possibly be, was completely unremarkable in every way possible. Everyone had a gimmick.
    THis.
    My younger brother lived with me for much of his HS experience (I'm 30) and I noticed him going through phazes of extreme. Extreme punk. Extreme metal. Emo. Hipster. I think he was even one of those fucken "juggalos" for a few months.. aren't they the ones that follow that rancid ICP group and draw carney like decor on their faces? Ya. Anyhow, we got into a discussion about "cool" and I influenced him to understand that the coolest you can be, is not defining yourself with what ever the current fad is, fo-hawks, labels, etc. I made him watch Fight Club with me, and everytime he'd come home with some new image, I say "your not your fucken khakis." Well, it eventually influenced the kid. He quit caring about any image, shaved his head so he didn't have to do his hair, wore DI jeans and plain T-shirts, and guess what?! ALL his friends followed. But they didn't follow there own set criteria, they followed HIS! So if he found a $2.00 DARE t-shirt that he'd wear to be ironic, his friends would go out and pay $30.00 to get a similar T-shirt! I'm so glad I'm done with shcool...
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

aww that is so sad and disturbing...there was definitely some cliquish stuff at my school but i would never have any part of it. i found that there were all kinds of really cool intelligent people...some were considered nerds...others hoods (the term for long haired metal heads) others were into sports or arts....some were book smart but oh so lacking in common sense...i was smart and my best friend was smart but maybe we were just regular smart..schoolwork was easier and i never did more than i had to...i don't know where i'm going with this. anyway sorry to those of you who had negative experiences in school because you were smart...that is so ridiculous to me.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison