User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I wasn't smart or popular in school. Not everyone is equal.

ThatGirl

When I was in school it was cool to be smart, nerdy, skater, punk, hip hop, preppy, or typical as long as you were the extreme version of any of those characteristics. It seemed the worst thing you could possibly be, was completely unremarkable in every way possible. Everyone had a gimmick.

I personally hung out with everyone, and yet didn't really belong to any group. I guess I did alright because I was a cheerleader, and that crazy chick who didn't care if I made myself look stupid or not. Kind of breaking all the social stigmas and still enjoying myself not caring what anyone else thought. People sort of got caught up in that charisma with me, of course later denying they knew me personally.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    I wasn't smart or popular in school. Not everyone is equal.
    Yes INFPs are so unique and different. Neither smart nor popular.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

By & large, most of the smart kids at my school were not popular. There were a few who were well-liked by most, regardless of their clique, which technically is popular, but they weren't a part of the "in-crowd" (which is what I assume most mean when they say popular).

I personally did well in school academically, but I was not popular because 1) I didn't care & so I made no effort to befriend people, and 2) I was a loner, and 3) I had an odd/cold demeanor that put people off a bit. I wasn't teased though, just mostly ignored & forgotten, which is what I think I wanted. Occasionally I saw the eyes roll or heard a snicker when I got the highest test score in the class yet again, but I took that to be resentment more than mocking.

Of course, there was the over-achiever crowd who were not nerds & were well-known, but they were still seen as a bit nerdy by the in-crowd types.

Not to pull the "jealousy" card, but to a degree, I think some kids resent the smart kids, as school comes easily to them, and so they seek to pull them down to their level by nitpicking what seems inferior about them (their appearance, their ability to socialize, etc). In a similar vein, the typical nerd may dismiss those types as dumb jocks (or whatever), seeking to devalue their strengths to make their own seem superior.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    By high school I had kinda closed myself off to everyone, and has already been mentioned, went about hiding most things about me that I knew would be uncool. (i.e. birdwatching, etc) Of course the ironic thing of all of this is IF one is confident about all of these weird things, and doesn't care, then they become basically impermeable to teasing, and in theory could make some of these weirder traits more 'cool'/acceptable if they were actually unabashedly solid in themselves - in a way. I just wasn't able to do that - as I did care, lol. I'm guessing most individuals aren't really able to be solid until adulthood - thus as adults all of these oddities become OK to externalize and not hide.
    I figured out the highlighted sometime in middle school, and never looked back. I still wasn't popular, still was excluded socially and somtimes teased, but realized it wasn't important. I had fretted more in elementary years about not being included, but on the rare occasion when I was, didn't enjoy myself anyway. No sense trying to force a peg of irregular polygonal cross-section into the proverbial round hole.

By high school, I think I had the respect of my immediate classmates, partly because of my intelligence and academic ability, but also because I was unfailingly dependable, usually helpful, didn't gossip, and never took sides in stupid arguments and rivalries. I wasn't teased much any more, but remained a loner by choice, mainly because other people did not share my interests and inclinations.

Obviously smart kids can also be popular, but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    When I was in school it was cool to be smart, nerdy, skater, punk, hip hop, preppy, or typical as long as you were the extreme version of any of those characteristics. It seemed the worst thing you could possibly be, was completely unremarkable in every way possible.
    It's really obvious we were in high school around the same time period.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

*shrug* I was in the top 2 in my class and I got beat up and harassed.

But I also know some of the guys who were in the 'gifted' program that were ridiculously popular. I'd honestly say most of the smarter kids at my school were popular.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

@ jennifer -

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled
    Not to pull the "jealousy" card, but to a degree, I think some kids resent the smart kids, as school comes easily to them, and so they seek to pull them down to their level by nitpicking what seems inferior about them (their appearance, their ability to socialize, etc). In a similar vein, the typical nerd may dismiss those types as dumb jocks (or whatever), seeking to devalue their strengths to make their own seem superior.

i have been in and out of popular. i started out. then i tried to stop being outstanding in my own way so i could become popular, which i did, but i ended up not liking my friends. then i got unpopular again. the next time i tried to be more outgoing and social, i just capitalized on my outstandingness that already existed, and it actually helped me become popular in a way that is pleasing to me.

isn't that just disgustingly moralistic
    Last edited by skylights; 05-22-2011 at 11:06 PM.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    *shrug* I was in the top 2 in my class and I got beat up and harassed.

But I also know some of the guys who were in the 'gifted' program that were ridiculously popular. I'd honestly say most of the smarter kids at my school were popular.
    Says the Sexual Harassment Panda.

Sex offenders get beat up in prison, too.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Says the Sexual Harassment Panda.

Sex offenders get beat up in prison, too.
    I was the smartest panda in the prison, though.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~