User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blissful ignorance and happy society? The contention of the mind and emotion.

i grew up in an agricultural country, where most people
    believe in making the most of today with a rare understanding
    on the concept of future planning--they essentially live on a
    day to day basis. they learn to enjoy life and to live life in
    the present and face little pressure to do otherwise.

this present oriented value is influenced by the buddhist
    concept of karma.

the virtues are: mai pen rai (literally, something doesn’t matter)
    suggests that adverse outcomes will get better eventually, so one
    should not worry about them.

while the value of sanuk (literally, fun and joy) reflects that
    the people tend to view life as full of fun and joy and not to be
    taken too seriously, even in the context of work

sabai sabai is our version of... hakuna matata.

these values have definitely shaped my views on happiness.
    it's not something i long for. or something i search for, because
    i've never had a reason to think that it isn't already mine.
    even when i want to poopoo on the world, i can't stay in that
    mode for too long because... it's much more fun to find something
    that makes me happy.

i can never stay unhappy for long.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

It's hard to stay unhappy when there is tomyam and all the other delicious Thai food
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    [...] But what meaning does it have, if I don't question that happiness with the tools I have at my disposal? What power does it still hold if I am to just accept that happiness and move on from there. And am I entitled to my happiness if I don't do anything with it? Which leads one to wonder, what can we do with actually do with it? [...]
    I think happiness affects us in the sense of an ambient quality, much like being in good or poor health. Something like what Coriolis suggested.

If you have a generally happy life, there’s no particular reason to fuss about your happiness much. You simply note how life events affect your immediate level of happiness. For example, at a party you drink pretty hard and immediately register a higher level of happiness; but next morning you’re hungover and feeling less happy. After doing that a few times you may decide to drink less at parties in the future for the sake of your overall health and happiness.

Furthermore, people generally have “set points” for their happiness. Short-term joys and disappointments only have a temporary effect on one’s general level of happiness. Even lottery winners find that their overall level of happiness returns to the same level as before the win. Eventually moments of joy or sadness wear off and we return to our personal “set point.”

So the big question for any individual would be: Are you satisfied with your personal “set point” for happiness? Much like health, one's own set point for happiness can be changed with effort and diligence. One can improve one’s long-term health by giving up a bad habit (smoking) or by taking up a good habit (exercising). Similarly, positive psychology indicates that the set point for happiness can be manipulated to some degree by indulging more good habits over the long-term--socializing, charity work, self-examination, etc.

And of course if one’s happiness “set point” is exceptionally low (lots of long-term anxiety or depression, for example), there are always drugs and medical intervention.

(Info about “set points” for happiness is provided in the “Getting happier” section of the Wikipedia article on positive psychology.)

Nips away your dignity Array Fluffywolf's Avatar
    9 sp/sx

I don't think I am satisfied with my set point for happiness. And the reason as to why I am not happy with it, suggests that I never will. I am happy, but I don't want to settle for it out of fear of becoming unhappy. As striving to increase my set point is an important factor for my state of happiness.

I don't think being satisfied with my set point for happines will make me happy. ;P

For me, it’s a cost-benefit calculation: Where should I apply my efforts for the biggest result?

Sometimes I figure it’s time to work on my health and maybe lose some weight before my blood pressure or cholesterol numbers start deteriorating with age. Other times I figure it’s time to hit the gym and improve my overall physical fitness. Other times I’m feeling a little dull and maybe mildly depressive so I head out and do something social in order to improve my happiness level a bit: take some dance lessons, join a bowling league, whatever.

IOW, I see maintaining good happiness readings as being on a par with maintaining good health and physical fitness numbers (and maybe some other numbers). Whichever area is lagging, that’s the one that gets worked on, because that’s the one that will show the biggest improvement and have the greatest ripple effect on the rest of my life.

But FWIW, I’ve seen happiness junkies, seeking personal bliss the way other people become gym rats and spend their lives sculpting their muscles. In fact, that’s kind of what INFPs are all about. In that sense, it sounds like you’re obsessing about your happiness level more than one would expect from a typical INTP. Nothing wrong with that; just commenting.

[Edit:] OTOH, a focus on personal happiness may just be what you need right now. I just saw your post in the "house husband" thread. Sounds like you're pretty seriously overworked right now. By all means, address that and get some balance back in your life. :workout:
    Last edited by RDF; 05-19-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Additional input gleaned from another thread