Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Hell yes. Then we wouldn't have to bury people when they died. I also wouldn't have to thank the idiot clerk at the 7/11. I mean I don't anyway, but.. there wouldn't be that annoying obligation.

We wouldn't have to stop at a traffic accident. Just keep on going. Life without emotions would not be boring, because we wouldn't be able to feel bored.
    We're all dog shit in the end anyway. Emotions are illusory.
    And we wouldn't have to pretend to feel sorry about those assholes who got shot at VT.

If you didn't go there, or have a friend or family member who got shot, you were pretending. And it's annoying. Stop.
    Agreed.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Why did you quote me?
    we fukin won boys

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Never mind. I fixed it.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    I think that's what Uberfuhrer means -- there wouldn't have to be a point. Sort of like living unconditionally. A point's existence, or lack thereof, would not bother a person without emotion, or, over time, a point could be derived in some other way, without necessiating access to emotion.

Given that I probably wouldn't be in a position to care if I were to be entirely emotionless, I don't mind either way.
    I would destroy myself before I would allow someone to turn my body into a automation like that. The very idea is an anathema to me.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    If you were given the option to have a life without having emotions, would you choose it? Would you be willing to throw out happiness if it meant getting rid of sadness? Why or why not?
    Not a chance. I enjoy emotions, even the bad ones.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    infp

Hell no! I love emotions, the good and the bad ones. Just as any great drama has comedy, or any great comedy has drama, a great life requires veriety and variation. No emotions would suck like Caddyshack 2. Zing!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

It would only approach an even trade if you got nearly unlimited knowledge in return, and even then, maybe not.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It would be different, certainly. I'd be willing to give such a life a chance, although I don't think I'd prefer it to life with emotions (of course, preferring something would be impossible in such a scenario). I don't see how I could find it miserable if I couldn't feel misery. I would just continuously observe the way things interacted and make inferences about them, but not feel affected by them.

The only reason I couldn't experience it for long is that I would no longer wish to take any particular action, because no outcome would seem better than any other outcome. So I would lose my motivation to manipulate outcomes, including those that affect my survival, such as finding food.

The only thing that might keep such a situation sustainable is if you don't consider curiosity to be an emotion... because that alone would still provide enough motivation for me to pursue my own survival. Because I would want to stay around long enough to see how things changed, and understand them.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't want emotions to suddenly cease to exist.

However, I am quite certain that the world would be a much better place if emotion never existed.

No one would have to worry about people's feelings or morals, because they wouldn't exist. Everyone would make purely rational decisions.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    xNTP

Is ambition a product of feelings? If yes then I believe feelings are important. Because (hypothetically) without ambition we might not have war but we might also not have the drive to find the cure for AIDs.