User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Robot Love.

MBTI
    INTj

Question Robot Love.

This is also posted on INTPc, so if you're reading it twice just STOP! I usually wouldn't post at both sites, but I'm interested in getting an INT perspective and then seeing if that's different from the perspective of other types. Anyway. . .

Let's say that you're dating the perfect guy/girl for a year. The person always says the right things and knows exactly how to respond to your needs. You are intellectually, physically, and emotionally compatible. Truly, this is the type of relationship you've dreamt about.

Then one day you get a letter in the mail explaining that the love of your life isn't actually human. S/he is a robot and has been programmed to connect and respond in a way that is desirable to you. Assume that this letter offers proof and you believe it to be true.

Would this matter to you? On one hand, you're in a perfect relationship. On the other hand, nothing has been real. Every feeling, word, and emotion that s/he has expressed has been programmed. Would you continue having a relationship with this extremely desirable robot?

Enneagram
    1w2

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    This is also posted on INTPc, so if you're reading it twice just STOP! I usually wouldn't post at both sites, but I'm interested in getting an INT perspective and then seeing if that's different from the perspective of other types. Anyway. . .

Let's say that you're dating the perfect guy/girl for a year. The person always says the right things and knows exactly how to respond to your needs. You are intellectually, physically, and emotionally compatible. Truly, this is the type of relationship you've dreamt about.

Then one day you get a letter in the mail explaining that the love of your life isn't actually human. S/he is a robot and has been programmed to connect and respond in a way that is desirable to you. Assume that this letter offers proof and you believe it to be true.

Would this matter to you? On one hand, you're in a perfect relationship. On the other hand, nothing has been real. Every feeling, word, and emotion that s/he has expressed has been programmed. Would you continue having a relationship with this extremely desirable robot?
    Yes, finding out that the love of my life is a robot would put a major damper on things. And I wouldn't feel that bad about dumping a robot, either.

P.S. I'd like to believe that I would be able to tell if I were dating a robot, too.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Oh crap.

To defend the thread from a merge, I will say that in this case, you've already had the relationship with the robot and you're thinking about it aftewards.

Does this help?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Let's say that you're dating the perfect guy/girl for a year.
    Okay, you're dating the perfect guy/girl for a year.

I think that if it's a perfect relationship, it wouldn't matter if the person is real or not. Reality is boring and flawed, but a robot programmed with the personality traits that are desirable to me would be fabulous. I'd be able to filter out the imperfections rather than have to take the good with the bad (i.e. she's really good in bed but she snores, as a typical example). That which is real isn't perfect, but we all want things to be perfect. I personally would rather live an illusion of perfection than to face reality. Sometimes I wish I could sleep and thus dream for the rest of my life.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I think that if it's a perfect relationship, it wouldn't matter if the person is real or not.
    But many would say that part of what is great about relationships is the joining together of two sets of strong feelings. Here, it's just you. Wouldn't it bother you that you mean nothing to her?

Enneagram
    1w2

Oh crap.

To defend the thread from a merge, I will say that in this case, you've already had the relationship with the robot and you're thinking about it aftewards.

Does this help?

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I would definitely keep the robot around, but would start experimenting on it. I would see just what it would do for me. We could watch robot movies like AI together and discuss them. I would probably have moments of pondering the meaning of sentience and crap like that, and attempt to discuss this with my robot to explore the possibility of its own self awareness. If nothing else, I would let the robot be my body guard.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

But many would say that part of what is great about relationships is the joining together of two sets of strong feelings. Here, it's just you. Wouldn't it bother you that you mean nothing to her?
    Not really, I'm naturally skeptical of the people who compliment me or say I mean something to them, anyway. It's like my mother saying I'm special and unique -- one person said it, but it certainly doesn't mean that I actually am special.

Just to be clear, these will be extremely lifelike cyborgs, right? Like the T-X in Terminator 3?

MBTI
    INFP

Nope, because the challenge would be gone.

I didn't get lucky, my communication skills didn't keep us together, I wasn't chosen over other girls, all of the perceived challenges would dissolve.