• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Robot Love.

nemo

Enneagram
<3
Nah. I couldn't go on with a pre-programed robot like that.

But I'd definitely support civil unions for all you robot lovers. ;)

Last edited:

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Technically, how is that any different than finding out he's got a "real" other woman on the side? A really perfect one? (Or maybe you'd still feel the same; I'm not assuming anything here.)
It's different because the robot is perfect, so it would be ludicrous of me to feel insecure, because there would be NO competition, by definition. You can't compete with perfection. And no competition means no jealousy, for me personally.

I also would not live with a man who kept a sex robot around. If he wanted to play around with a bot, he could just go off on his own and do so. GodI am not going to be jumping for joy and all that my SO would rather discharge his sexual energy on a robot while I twiddle my thumbs in the corner or something. I mean think about it, if he has a sex bot, that's less sex for the wife so why would she be happy about that?
I'm personally starting with the assumption that my SO would NOT be "discharging his sexual energy on a robot while I twiddle my thumbs in the corner or something" - not without my consent anyway ;) If he did, he wouldn't be my *SO*, now, would he?

And if he did, I'd be going to have some fun with MY robot anyway :devil:

heart

heart on fire
I'm personally starting with the assumption that my SO would NOT be "discharging his sexual energy on a robot while I twiddle my thumbs in the corner or something" - not without my consent anyway ;) If he did, he wouldn't be my *SO*, now, would he?

And if he did, I'd be going to have some fun with MY robot anyway :devil:

Why even be married if two people are going to spend all their sexual energy masterbating via sex toys connected to computer chips? What's the point? Once the teens are over and one is gets into real relations, masterbation is really sort of boring anyway. Not much point to it. The main point to sex to me is making an initmate connection with someone else and their consciousness, their spirit, that is what is most exciting about sexual contact. A robot has none. Anyway, just my view. :)

It would be like stripping what is left of real humanity from our lives completely.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
The main point to sex to me is making an initmate connection with someone else and their consciousness, their spirit, that is what is most exciting about sexual contact.
Sometimes yes. And sometimes it's really just about the drive, and that's where a robot can come in handy.

Not to mention, of course, that quite often the two partners simply don't have the same level of sex drive: one wants it more often than the other. A robot would allow both partners to be fully satisfied.

And there are the personal quirks too. Say you like this or that but your partner really isn't into it. A robot could be the answer, every once in a while.

One could even argue that some fantasies would be better carried out with a robot than with a live partner.

Sex is a lot of different things to everyone. It even changes as people get older. An ever-willing robot could help with the rougher transition patches. As long as it isn't used as a total replacement for the human partner, of course.

heart

heart on fire
Sometimes yes. And sometimes it's really just about the drive, and that's where a robot can come in handy.

Not to mention, of course, that quite often the two partners simply don't have the same level of sex drive: one wants it more often than the other. A robot would allow both partners to be fully satisfied.

And there are the personal quirks too. Say you like this or that but your partner really isn't into it. A robot could be the answer, every once in a while.

One could even argue that some fantasies would be better carried out with a robot than with a live partner.

Sex is a lot of different things to everyone. It even changes as people get older. An ever-willing robot could help with the rougher transition patches. As long as it isn't used as a total replacement for the human partner, of course.

How can there possibly be "full" satisfaction with a tin can, there is no soul no real human connection. This is my objection. It would look human, minic human behavior but it is not human. That's just gut grippingly creepy to me.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
How can there possibly be "full" satisfaction with a tin can, there is no soul no real human connection.
Considering what I can do to myself with just my imagination, a robot would definitely have potential, believe me :D !

heart

heart on fire
Considering what I can do to myself with just my imagination, a robot would definitely have potential, believe me :D !

You are human, with a human imagination. That's not creepy. But add in a bot and it gets creepy. Well, just my opinion, Fi probably has a different take than Ni. To me sex with out human spiritual connection just isn't that exciting an idea and rather cold blooded.

Anyway, I don't want to beat a dead horse or anything. (no pun intended!)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Everyone who watches Futurama knows that when a human dates a robot that can only lead to tragedy! :horor:

here's the PSA warning against human + robot relationships! :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, me too. I've always had that talk whenever things start to get serious. I've never actually encountered a robot (that I'm aware of), but I always ask, just to be on the safe side. The relationship always seems to fall apart at that point. I don't know why. Hey, maybe they really are, and I'm on to them!

I remember that talk, but your physiology read a slight increase in blood pressure and temperature along with subtle muscular tension around the mouth and eyes suggesting you were prepared for a statement to falsify the question. Once pieces of my head fell off, it became necessary to state fact and here we are.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Yes, it would matter, and I'd probably end it. Shortly before hunting down and hurting the person who sent the letter (this seems to be one of those ignorance is bliss cases).

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Stay with the robot. If humans won't accept me, might as well go with something that will.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Well, first I'd disregard the letter or else spiral into madness as the heroine of my own dystopic futuristic thriller with deep meaning and visual symbolism.

But, saying for the OP's sake that everything you state is true and happens exactly the way you say -- I would be pissed and feel totally duped and violated. Who created the robot, why was I chosen, and what was the point? Am I a clown to you??? What info were they going on that the perp thought they could manipulate me so easily? Am I just here for your amusement??? So yeah, I would be quite displeased.

It would change the entire way I looked at my SO and interpersonal relations and the world in general. And of course make me re-examine myself, my expectations, my standards, my beliefs, etc. I would have think about why everything they said and did were the "right things" and why they illicited such positive responses in me. And why my behavior and interactions didn't illicit such wonderful responses in other real people. Compare and contrast and find answers.

You've basically been told you have been masterfully manipulated and had all your buttons pushed -- I think at the least you should use the opportunity to figure what what that all means.

I probably would grill the said robot/SO to see if they were self-aware and just figure out what's going on.

After I felt I had enough information/understanding, then I'd decide what to do about the SO. I might feel tempted to carry on with them despite feeling violated, used, and supremely toyed with -- after all the, robot themselves is not to blame, right? I would probably feel I had to end things because it's not a real relationship or even a real person. It's fake and contrived, it's like hiring an actor or live in prostitute to be your companion. That's not what I want.

As enticing as a fantasy could be, I think for healthy individuals and the 'good life', you should only use fantasies as medicine and therapy to gird you and help you in the real world, to accept reality with grace and overcome shortcomings and obstacles -- blah blah blah alright alright I just realized how that all sounded. Yeah, I really am that Oprah-tic.

Anywhoo, re: robot situation -- I'd become paranoid that I was surrounded by robots. Or maybe *gasp* I am a robot. Which wouldn't be as bad if I could be stylin' like Sean Young in Bladerunner.

And then I would try to track down the perpetrator of the hoax so I could corner them and go "WTF is your problem mang???" Hahahaha.

But again, I would incredibly pissed and it would totally do a number on me.

R

RDF

I've had the song "Radar Love" stuck in my head all day from visiting the message board and seeing the title of this thread. :doh:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
this is related to the "would you date Commander Data" question... I believe the question of android life, the validity of their behaviour and actions etc, their individuality and all that stuff is all well and truly dealt with in the course of the seven seasons of TNG :nerd:

Having reviewed which, I'd have to say "yes".

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Are you asking this question because you discovered that Haight is really a robot? :thelook:

No doubt software would be running the robot. Software is patterned after the paradigms of those who create it. It reflects their approach to the situation. I work on a software development team. Do I want to be intimate (in any way) with a software development team. No. :sick:

I would proceed with reverse-engineering the software.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
When a baby is born, it loves its care-giver simply, perhaps as close to completely as a person can. You know there is no reasoning behind it, nor any questions. It just is. Biology perhaps. That is pre-programming.

Why is the robot any different, in that pureness of action?

There may be no soul behind it, but there is complete faith, trust, loyalty and security. That is more than most humans can give, constantly, and for a lifetime.

Why would I give that up and put my trust in a letter, where I do not know the intent of the sender, nor identity? I question the brutality of that truth-teller, if it be true, and the agenda, if it be false. How much would it hurt if the partner was real, and you brought up this issue that "things are too good to be true, you're a robot, my love, this is what this anonymous letter says."?

It is a lose-lose situation to believe in the letter, simply.

I'd take the robot. It is the closest to a guarantee in complete love one could ever get. With a human, the hearts are sometimes too fragile for a lifetime.

Also, with a robot, I know I could never hurt it. With another human, the risk of that is too great to me.