• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Robot Love.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Could she have kids? That would be an important consideration.

The second consideration is whether my robot had the same experience and "free will" as a human girlfriend did. If what you're saying is that the robot is like a human, but nerves have been replaced with microchips, I don't really care. But if instead she's just been programmed to like me, then I'd have a problem with it. That's no longer my "perfect relationship" since my perfect relationship is premised on genuine choice and freedom.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I don't see why a robot can't engineer its own kids, some robots can bake their own cookies, which come out of a slot for others to eat! ;)

Griffi97

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hhmmm... I think I have to say I'd probably just stay in the relationship with the robot. Considering all the problems inevitably involved in relationships with humans, it would be nice to just have basic needs met (companionship, support, sex) and never have to worry about a total melt-down of the relationship.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj

Let's say that she can have children.

The second consideration is whether my robot had the same experience and "free will" as a human girlfriend did. If what you're saying is that the robot is like a human, but nerves have been replaced with microchips, I don't really care. But if instead she's just been programmed to like me, then I'd have a problem with it.

She's been programmed to like you, but not in that obvious, annoying way. She's just been programmed to respond like your ideal perfect woman would respond (which I assume for you is with "Can we have sex now, master?").

But she didn't choose you. She's also not doing this against her will because she doesn't have a will. She's just a machine.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
She's been programmed to like you, but not in that obvious, annoying way. She's just been programmed to respond like your ideal perfect woman would respond (which I assume for you is with "Can we have sex now, master?").

:yes:

But in that case, there are things I could never share with her because I know her ideas and feelings have all been compromised. So, I'd have to break up.

Anyway, how's Haight doing?

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
Anyway, how's Haight doing?

:horor:

I think one of the best parts of a relationship is knowing that the other person feels just as strongly for you as you do for them. It'd be hard to get over that. . . even if the robot sex is AMAZING.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Honestly? When I received the letter (and proof), I'd be so blown away by the technology that I wouldn't have room in my brain to be thinking about relationship values.

Then I'd take her apart.

(Yeah, yeah, I know. Missing the point of the thread. Damn literal NT, etc.)

So, in the spirit of the thread...
You can't cheat on a robot, and you can't cheat on someone with a robot, so... I'd definitely keep the robot at home for comfort and emotional support, and I'd go around looking for a *second* relationship, with - hopefully - a human being this time. My very own kind of menage a trois :D
Which raises the question, if you found out your SO had such a robot on the side, would you be jealous? If so, how would the jealously be characterized?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What lady wouldn't want to date him?

DataTNG.jpg

I'd like a robot who can deactivate his/her emotion chip at will! I'd like to be like that, myself!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here are some thoughts:

1. How different are people from robots, in terms of our "programming"? People are programmed as well, we just have more sense of "free will." But we're still heavily programmed. How comparable is this robot to a human being?

2. Any robot that isn't similar to a human being in terms of free will should have already been noticeably distinct. I think you'd be able to tell the difference. They wouldn't "feel" authentic already.

3. So if the robot was the same as a person, then why stay with a programmed person vs a programmed robot? There's little distinction. And if the robot was not the same as a person, but you still found the robot very acceptable, why would you care that the robot had been programmed?

It just seems like such an impossible example. Theoretically, people would bump the robot just because it was "programmed" and not seemingly authentic -- that's the gut human response. But in real life, the scenario would either not exist or else would have already self-selected --the robot's programming would already be less than human, and anyone who had settled for that level of relationship already wouldn't need authenticity as a requirement.

LucrativeSid

If I found out she was a robot, she'd just become one hell of a sex doll, if you know what I mean. And maybe even something to bring into the bedroom with my next relationship that happens to actually be with a human. "She's not real, Honey! So you're not a lesbian and I'm not cheating on you!" ;)

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I wouldn't be interested in continuing the relationship. I'd feel like a dummy and I'd probably never want to see the robot again. Anyhow, the robot would probably leave of his own accord because his program would inform him that I want to be left alone to sort out my broken heart in peace. I'd be forever scarred because there'd come a point in all future relationships when we'd have to have The Talk: "Honey. I love you and all, but I have to know. Please answer honestly. Are you a robot?" Which, of course, would make all potential lovers think I'm crazy. And if it didn't make one of them think I'm crazy, I'd just suspect him of being another robot. Gahh! Who is the horrible evil person responsible for this robot?! After realizing the psychological damage done by the robot, I'd probably turn into one of those scary vengeful women whose lifelong goal is to bring about the destruction of the person who has destroyed her.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Which raises the question, if you found out your SO had such a robot on the side, would you be jealous? If so, how would the jealously be characterized?
Jealous :shock: ? Of a robot?? Are you kidding?

I'd be:

a- relieved: I'd know that whatever happens between us, he's never going to run out of emotional support/company/sex/whatever. I'd know that *I* don't have to provide ALL of this to him anymore. Freedom!!

b- honoured: he's got that perfect little missy at home, and yet he STILL wants to spend time with me :wubbie: ? That would make me feel VERY special and appreciated :blush:

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
1. How different are people from robots, in terms of our "programming"? People are programmed as well, we just have more sense of "free will." But we're still heavily programmed. How comparable is this robot to a human being?

Interesting post. I think that the degree of programmability between humans and robots is different though. Even if a human is totally programmed by religion, for example, they still have the mental capacity and free will to reject those inputs. Granted, there are varying levels of difficulty in doing this. To me, free will is of ultimate importance, so I cannot easily let go of that distinction.

I'd be forever scarred because there'd come a point in all future relationships when we'd have to have The Talk: "Honey. I love you and all, but I have to know. Please answer honestly. Are you a robot?" Which, of course, would make all potential lovers think I'm crazy.

Ha. Good point. I hate that talk . . . so awkward.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
I'd be:

a- relieved: I'd know that whatever happens between us, he's never going to run out of emotional support/company/sex/whatever. I'd know that *I* don't have to provide ALL of this to him anymore. Freedom!!

b- honoured: he's got that perfect little missy at home, and yet he STILL wants to spend time with me :wubbie: ? That would make me feel VERY special and appreciated :blush:

Technically, how is that any different than finding out he's got a "real" other woman on the side? A really perfect one? (Or maybe you'd still feel the same; I'm not assuming anything here.)

heart

heart on fire
I am convinced that when they get robots, most men are going to just escape into the world of sexual fantasy and never return. My husband says no, that men will still want a real woman, but I am not so confident of that.

Personally for me with some male fashioned robot, I would find the idea of being with a robot creepy and one step away from necrophilia!

So no, I would not continue the relationship with a walking tin can. (Folks, I got the message the thing looks human, but it is still a walking tin can, it doesn't have a soul, it is not human.)

I also would not live with a man who kept a sex robot around. If he wanted to play around with a bot, he could just go off on his own and do so. GodI am not going to be jumping for joy and all that my SO would rather discharge his sexual energy on a robot while I twiddle my thumbs in the corner or something. I mean think about it, if he has a sex bot, that's less sex for the wife so why would she be happy about that?

How would that be characterized? "Take your Bot and GO live somewhere else!" ;)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But cybernetic organisms use real human tissue. The only thing that isn't human is the skeleton.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
I'd be forever scarred because there'd come a point in all future relationships when we'd have to have The Talk: "Honey. I love you and all, but I have to know. Please answer honestly. Are you a robot?"
Ha. Good point. I hate that talk . . . so awkward.
Yeah, me too. I've always had that talk whenever things start to get serious. I've never actually encountered a robot (that I'm aware of), but I always ask, just to be on the safe side. The relationship always seems to fall apart at that point. I don't know why. Hey, maybe they really are, and I'm on to them!

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
So no, I would not continue the relationship with a walking tin can.

Well, the premise of the OP is that it's not a "tin can." It's a responsive thing just like you and I. As you develop, it develops with you, inputting more information and engaging with you in a way that is pleasing. If you like someone who is confrontational, that's how it would act. If you like someone who is very emotionally expressive, that's how it would act.

Clearly, I can't imagine that science will ever be sophisticated enough to produce exactly what the OP has in mind. That's why it's hypothetical.

heart

heart on fire
But cybernetic organisms use real human tissue. The only thing that isn't human is the skeleton.

That makes it even creepier!

Well, the premise of the OP is that it's not a "tin can." It's a responsive thing just like you and I. As you develop, it develops with you, inputting more information and engaging with you in a way that is pleasing. If you like someone who is confrontational, that's how it would act. If you like someone who is very emotionally expressive, that's how it would act.

Clearly, I can't imagine that science will ever be sophisticated enough to produce exactly what the OP has in mind. That's why it's hypothetical.

Bottomline, it is still a walking tin can, I don't care how much biological tissue they drapped on it or how many random programs it has, it is still not human, it does not have soul.