• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Robot Love.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
This is also posted on INTPc, so if you're reading it twice just STOP! I usually wouldn't post at both sites, but I'm interested in getting an INT perspective and then seeing if that's different from the perspective of other types. Anyway. . .

Let's say that you're dating the perfect guy/girl for a year. The person always says the right things and knows exactly how to respond to your needs. You are intellectually, physically, and emotionally compatible. Truly, this is the type of relationship you've dreamt about.

Then one day you get a letter in the mail explaining that the love of your life isn't actually human. S/he is a robot and has been programmed to connect and respond in a way that is desirable to you. Assume that this letter offers proof and you believe it to be true.

Would this matter to you? On one hand, you're in a perfect relationship. On the other hand, nothing has been real. Every feeling, word, and emotion that s/he has expressed has been programmed. Would you continue having a relationship with this extremely desirable robot?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
This is also posted on INTPc, so if you're reading it twice just STOP! I usually wouldn't post at both sites, but I'm interested in getting an INT perspective and then seeing if that's different from the perspective of other types. Anyway. . .

Let's say that you're dating the perfect guy/girl for a year. The person always says the right things and knows exactly how to respond to your needs. You are intellectually, physically, and emotionally compatible. Truly, this is the type of relationship you've dreamt about.

Then one day you get a letter in the mail explaining that the love of your life isn't actually human. S/he is a robot and has been programmed to connect and respond in a way that is desirable to you. Assume that this letter offers proof and you believe it to be true.

Would this matter to you? On one hand, you're in a perfect relationship. On the other hand, nothing has been real. Every feeling, word, and emotion that s/he has expressed has been programmed. Would you continue having a relationship with this extremely desirable robot?

Yes, finding out that the love of my life is a robot would put a major damper on things. And I wouldn't feel that bad about dumping a robot, either.

P.S. I'd like to believe that I would be able to tell if I were dating a robot, too. :cry:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Let's say that you're dating the perfect guy/girl for a year.

Okay, you're dating the perfect guy/girl for a year.

I think that if it's a perfect relationship, it wouldn't matter if the person is real or not. Reality is boring and flawed, but a robot programmed with the personality traits that are desirable to me would be fabulous. I'd be able to filter out the imperfections rather than have to take the good with the bad (i.e. she's really good in bed but she snores, as a typical example). That which is real isn't perfect, but we all want things to be perfect. I personally would rather live an illusion of perfection than to face reality. Sometimes I wish I could sleep and thus dream for the rest of my life.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
I think that if it's a perfect relationship, it wouldn't matter if the person is real or not.

But many would say that part of what is great about relationships is the joining together of two sets of strong feelings. Here, it's just you. Wouldn't it bother you that you mean nothing to her?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would definitely keep the robot around, but would start experimenting on it. I would see just what it would do for me. We could watch robot movies like AI together and discuss them. I would probably have moments of pondering the meaning of sentience and crap like that, and attempt to discuss this with my robot to explore the possibility of its own self awareness. If nothing else, I would let the robot be my body guard.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But many would say that part of what is great about relationships is the joining together of two sets of strong feelings. Here, it's just you. Wouldn't it bother you that you mean nothing to her?

Not really, I'm naturally skeptical of the people who compliment me or say I mean something to them, anyway. It's like my mother saying I'm special and unique -- one person said it, but it certainly doesn't mean that I actually am special.

Just to be clear, these will be extremely lifelike cyborgs, right? Like the T-X in Terminator 3?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Nope, because the challenge would be gone.

I didn't get lucky, my communication skills didn't keep us together, I wasn't chosen over other girls, all of the perceived challenges would dissolve.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just to be clear, these will be extremely lifelike cyborgs, right? Like the T-X in Terminator 3?
If you have to be told it's a robot, then probably - unless you are extremely unobservant like many other iNtuitives.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to have a relationship with Toonia's avatar.

EDIT: Dare I say that NPG was inspired by A.I. when she created this thread?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I want to have a relationship with Toonia's avatar.

You are certainly welcome to do that. She is downloadable. I'm guessing an actual robot would be a step up for you from there. :alttongue:

I would be really jazzed to find out I had a personal connection like that with a robot. Life would suddenly get incredibly interesting. I would be in a state of continual fascination. How could you just continue on like nothing happened? It would be incredible, even if not emotionally reassuring. I really want a robot and an orangutan now for friendship and psychological research.

btw awesome thread :nice:

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
You can't cheat on a robot, and you can't cheat on someone with a robot, so... I'd definitely keep the robot at home for comfort and emotional support, and I'd go around looking for a *second* relationship, with - hopefully - a human being this time. My very own kind of menage a trois :D

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
That would be a major problem for me. I seriously doubt I could get over the fact that it's not human. The entire relationship would be a preprogrammed fabrication. Besides that, you have issues of procreation and aging, not to mention legal issues like can a robot own property? If I die, could I leave my wealth to my robot partner? No thanks. I'll stick with imperfect humans.

I wonder how much everyone's responses are affected by their success with the opposite sex (or same sex if you're a homosexual).

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:huh: would the robot be made of flesh? I don't think I'd be all for sleeping with a non-flesh humanoid forevermore- I can get a much smaller model for that ;) And if it's metal I'd have to get a tetanus shot :sick: And would it be able to eat food, get drunk, get injured, get sick and feel tired? Those are all interesting things that people do! :) I don't think I'd like to sleep with something that didn't get tired *shudder*

Also, would the robot be unpredictable? Unpredictability is much more interesting than getting what I want all of the time! :yes:

*whatever is now trapped in a mental bind of thinking of all the cool things that humans can do and wondering if technology will ever be able to replicate them*

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thus far, there are only two INTx types, to which the inquiry was directed, who posted in this thread.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thus far, there are only two INTx types, to which the inquiry was directed, who posted in this thread.

but the question was interesting and I wanted to answer it! :cry:

plus- she said that she wants an INT perspective and wants to be able to compare it to other types- hence the cross posting on INTPc and here! :tongue10:

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP

She wanted to compare it to the perspectives of other types. How is she going to do that without their input?