User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: Robot Love.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    this is related to the "would you date Commander Data" question... I believe the question of android life, the validity of their behaviour and actions etc, their individuality and all that stuff is all well and truly dealt with in the course of the seven seasons of TNG
    There's a difference though: our robot would have been programmed to love US and make US happy first and foremost. Data is supposedly free to choose on his own whom he will love and try to make happy, and how much of his potential and personal life will be devoted to that task.

Having reviewed which, I'd have to say "yes".
    Funnily enough, I can't imagine Q giving that answer. Seems like you still have a way to go before you truly live up to your self-professed role model

And by the way: if Data wanted to love me and make me happy, I'd totally take him too

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

The last time Data has used his lovemaking functions: 8 years, 7 months, 16 days, 4 minutes, 22 seconds.

MBTI
    ENTP

Grrr I just typed out a response but the stupid mouse on my laptop decided to click in Uber's avatar and take me to his profile before I posted it!!!

I was basically saying that

1. If it suits his purposes, Q is up for anything

2. OK, maybe not Data then since he's got the freewill thing... but what about that metamorph woman?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Besides, my experiences have led me to believe that a lot more of what we think is our personality, is actually pure biology, than many would be comfortable with admitting...

We're just programmed too, to an extent... I dunno why someone/something doing simply what they're supposed to do, necessarily invalidates the person or the action. Most of us who own pets are happy with and appreciate the level of 'love' that we get from them, despite it being pure instinct and, largely, self-serving, especially in the case of cats, who are far from loyal or 'monogamous'
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    I'd take the robot. It is the closest to a guarantee in complete love one could ever get. With a human, the hearts are sometimes too fragile for a lifetime.

Also, with a robot, I know I could never hurt it. With another human, the risk of that is too great to me.
    "A vaincre sans peril, on triomphe sans gloire"

When there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph. Same with love.

MBTI
    INFP

True words, heart.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    When there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph. Same with love.
    Ted Bundy knew that all too well!

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Ted Bundy knew that all too well!
    I was talking about love, not serial killers.

But to take respond to your statement there was no peril for Ted Bundy, he was a coward. He used deception to lure his victims into trusting him. No glory for him either, just shame. He was a weak person who would rather kill and disable that which he desired rather than be human and risk hurt. He sort of wanted a type of robot too, a slave to his will because he didn't have what it took to participate in the normal give and take of relationships.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Sorry, I couldn't resist playing with your words!

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Sorry, I couldn't resist playing with your words!
    And it was as amusing as it usually is.