User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Robot Love.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Stay with the robot. If humans won't accept me, might as well go with something that will.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Stay with the robot. If humans won't accept me, might as well go with something that will.
    Word.

MBTI
    INTJ

You can't expect others to accept you when you don't accept yourself.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    You can't expect others to accept you when you don't accept yourself.
    Sure you can. I do it all the time.

ha.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    GONE

Well, first I'd disregard the letter or else spiral into madness as the heroine of my own dystopic futuristic thriller with deep meaning and visual symbolism.

But, saying for the OP's sake that everything you state is true and happens exactly the way you say -- I would be pissed and feel totally duped and violated. Who created the robot, why was I chosen, and what was the point? Am I a clown to you??? What info were they going on that the perp thought they could manipulate me so easily? Am I just here for your amusement??? So yeah, I would be quite displeased.

It would change the entire way I looked at my SO and interpersonal relations and the world in general. And of course make me re-examine myself, my expectations, my standards, my beliefs, etc. I would have think about why everything they said and did were the "right things" and why they illicited such positive responses in me. And why my behavior and interactions didn't illicit such wonderful responses in other real people. Compare and contrast and find answers.

You've basically been told you have been masterfully manipulated and had all your buttons pushed -- I think at the least you should use the opportunity to figure what what that all means.

I probably would grill the said robot/SO to see if they were self-aware and just figure out what's going on.

After I felt I had enough information/understanding, then I'd decide what to do about the SO. I might feel tempted to carry on with them despite feeling violated, used, and supremely toyed with -- after all the, robot themselves is not to blame, right? I would probably feel I had to end things because it's not a real relationship or even a real person. It's fake and contrived, it's like hiring an actor or live in prostitute to be your companion. That's not what I want.

As enticing as a fantasy could be, I think for healthy individuals and the 'good life', you should only use fantasies as medicine and therapy to gird you and help you in the real world, to accept reality with grace and overcome shortcomings and obstacles -- blah blah blah alright alright I just realized how that all sounded. Yeah, I really am that Oprah-tic.

Anywhoo, re: robot situation -- I'd become paranoid that I was surrounded by robots. Or maybe *gasp* I am a robot. Which wouldn't be as bad if I could be stylin' like Sean Young in Bladerunner.

And then I would try to track down the perpetrator of the hoax so I could corner them and go "WTF is your problem mang???" Hahahaha.

But again, I would incredibly pissed and it would totally do a number on me.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

RDF

I've had the song "Radar Love" stuck in my head all day from visiting the message board and seeing the title of this thread.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I've had the song "Radar Love" stuck in my head all day from visiting the message board and seeing the title of this thread.
    Oh thanks, now I will too!

MBTI
    ENTP

this is related to the "would you date Commander Data" question... I believe the question of android life, the validity of their behaviour and actions etc, their individuality and all that stuff is all well and truly dealt with in the course of the seven seasons of TNG

Having reviewed which, I'd have to say "yes".
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Are you asking this question because you discovered that Haight is really a robot?

No doubt software would be running the robot. Software is patterned after the paradigms of those who create it. It reflects their approach to the situation. I work on a software development team. Do I want to be intimate (in any way) with a software development team. No.

I would proceed with reverse-engineering the software.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

When a baby is born, it loves its care-giver simply, perhaps as close to completely as a person can. You know there is no reasoning behind it, nor any questions. It just is. Biology perhaps. That is pre-programming.

Why is the robot any different, in that pureness of action?

There may be no soul behind it, but there is complete faith, trust, loyalty and security. That is more than most humans can give, constantly, and for a lifetime.

Why would I give that up and put my trust in a letter, where I do not know the intent of the sender, nor identity? I question the brutality of that truth-teller, if it be true, and the agenda, if it be false. How much would it hurt if the partner was real, and you brought up this issue that "things are too good to be true, you're a robot, my love, this is what this anonymous letter says."?

It is a lose-lose situation to believe in the letter, simply.

I'd take the robot. It is the closest to a guarantee in complete love one could ever get. With a human, the hearts are sometimes too fragile for a lifetime.

Also, with a robot, I know I could never hurt it. With another human, the risk of that is too great to me.