User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Robot Love.

If I found out she was a robot, she'd just become one hell of a sex doll, if you know what I mean. And maybe even something to bring into the bedroom with my next relationship that happens to actually be with a human. "She's not real, Honey! So you're not a lesbian and I'm not cheating on you!"

MBTI
    INFJ

I wouldn't be interested in continuing the relationship. I'd feel like a dummy and I'd probably never want to see the robot again. Anyhow, the robot would probably leave of his own accord because his program would inform him that I want to be left alone to sort out my broken heart in peace. I'd be forever scarred because there'd come a point in all future relationships when we'd have to have The Talk: "Honey. I love you and all, but I have to know. Please answer honestly. Are you a robot?" Which, of course, would make all potential lovers think I'm crazy. And if it didn't make one of them think I'm crazy, I'd just suspect him of being another robot. Gahh! Who is the horrible evil person responsible for this robot?! After realizing the psychological damage done by the robot, I'd probably turn into one of those scary vengeful women whose lifelong goal is to bring about the destruction of the person who has destroyed her.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    Which raises the question, if you found out your SO had such a robot on the side, would you be jealous? If so, how would the jealously be characterized?
    Jealous ? Of a robot?? Are you kidding?

I'd be:

a- relieved: I'd know that whatever happens between us, he's never going to run out of emotional support/company/sex/whatever. I'd know that *I* don't have to provide ALL of this to him anymore. Freedom!!

b- honoured: he's got that perfect little missy at home, and yet he STILL wants to spend time with me ? That would make me feel VERY special and appreciated

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    1. How different are people from robots, in terms of our "programming"? People are programmed as well, we just have more sense of "free will." But we're still heavily programmed. How comparable is this robot to a human being?
    Interesting post. I think that the degree of programmability between humans and robots is different though. Even if a human is totally programmed by religion, for example, they still have the mental capacity and free will to reject those inputs. Granted, there are varying levels of difficulty in doing this. To me, free will is of ultimate importance, so I cannot easily let go of that distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    I'd be forever scarred because there'd come a point in all future relationships when we'd have to have The Talk: "Honey. I love you and all, but I have to know. Please answer honestly. Are you a robot?" Which, of course, would make all potential lovers think I'm crazy.
    Ha. Good point. I hate that talk . . . so awkward.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    I'd be:

a- relieved: I'd know that whatever happens between us, he's never going to run out of emotional support/company/sex/whatever. I'd know that *I* don't have to provide ALL of this to him anymore. Freedom!!

b- honoured: he's got that perfect little missy at home, and yet he STILL wants to spend time with me ? That would make me feel VERY special and appreciated
    Technically, how is that any different than finding out he's got a "real" other woman on the side? A really perfect one? (Or maybe you'd still feel the same; I'm not assuming anything here.)
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

heart on fire

I am convinced that when they get robots, most men are going to just escape into the world of sexual fantasy and never return. My husband says no, that men will still want a real woman, but I am not so confident of that.

Personally for me with some male fashioned robot, I would find the idea of being with a robot creepy and one step away from necrophilia!

So no, I would not continue the relationship with a walking tin can. (Folks, I got the message the thing looks human, but it is still a walking tin can, it doesn't have a soul, it is not human.)

I also would not live with a man who kept a sex robot around. If he wanted to play around with a bot, he could just go off on his own and do so. GodI am not going to be jumping for joy and all that my SO would rather discharge his sexual energy on a robot while I twiddle my thumbs in the corner or something. I mean think about it, if he has a sex bot, that's less sex for the wife so why would she be happy about that?

How would that be characterized? "Take your Bot and GO live somewhere else!"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

But cybernetic organisms use real human tissue. The only thing that isn't human is the skeleton.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by faith View Post
    I'd be forever scarred because there'd come a point in all future relationships when we'd have to have The Talk: "Honey. I love you and all, but I have to know. Please answer honestly. Are you a robot?"
    Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Ha. Good point. I hate that talk . . . so awkward.
    Yeah, me too. I've always had that talk whenever things start to get serious. I've never actually encountered a robot (that I'm aware of), but I always ask, just to be on the safe side. The relationship always seems to fall apart at that point. I don't know why. Hey, maybe they really are, and I'm on to them!
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    So no, I would not continue the relationship with a walking tin can.
    Well, the premise of the OP is that it's not a "tin can." It's a responsive thing just like you and I. As you develop, it develops with you, inputting more information and engaging with you in a way that is pleasing. If you like someone who is confrontational, that's how it would act. If you like someone who is very emotionally expressive, that's how it would act.

Clearly, I can't imagine that science will ever be sophisticated enough to produce exactly what the OP has in mind. That's why it's hypothetical.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    But cybernetic organisms use real human tissue. The only thing that isn't human is the skeleton.
    That makes it even creepier!

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Well, the premise of the OP is that it's not a "tin can." It's a responsive thing just like you and I. As you develop, it develops with you, inputting more information and engaging with you in a way that is pleasing. If you like someone who is confrontational, that's how it would act. If you like someone who is very emotionally expressive, that's how it would act.

Clearly, I can't imagine that science will ever be sophisticated enough to produce exactly what the OP has in mind. That's why it's hypothetical.
    Bottomline, it is still a walking tin can, I don't care how much biological tissue they drapped on it or how many random programs it has, it is still not human, it does not have soul.