5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I missed that part, carry on.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Could she have kids? That would be an important consideration.

The second consideration is whether my robot had the same experience and "free will" as a human girlfriend did. If what you're saying is that the robot is like a human, but nerves have been replaced with microchips, I don't really care. But if instead she's just been programmed to like me, then I'd have a problem with it. That's no longer my "perfect relationship" since my perfect relationship is premised on genuine choice and freedom.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I don't see why a robot can't engineer its own kids, some robots can bake their own cookies, which come out of a slot for others to eat!

MBTI
    INFJ

Hhmmm... I think I have to say I'd probably just stay in the relationship with the robot. Considering all the problems inevitably involved in relationships with humans, it would be nice to just have basic needs met (companionship, support, sex) and never have to worry about a total melt-down of the relationship.

MBTI
    INTj

Let's say that she can have children.

The second consideration is whether my robot had the same experience and "free will" as a human girlfriend did. If what you're saying is that the robot is like a human, but nerves have been replaced with microchips, I don't really care. But if instead she's just been programmed to like me, then I'd have a problem with it.
    She's been programmed to like you, but not in that obvious, annoying way. She's just been programmed to respond like your ideal perfect woman would respond (which I assume for you is with "Can we have sex now, master?").

But she didn't choose you. She's also not doing this against her will because she doesn't have a will. She's just a machine.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    She's been programmed to like you, but not in that obvious, annoying way. She's just been programmed to respond like your ideal perfect woman would respond (which I assume for you is with "Can we have sex now, master?").

But in that case, there are things I could never share with her because I know her ideas and feelings have all been compromised. So, I'd have to break up.

Anyway, how's Haight doing?

MBTI
    INTj

Anyway, how's Haight doing?
    :horor:

I think one of the best parts of a relationship is knowing that the other person feels just as strongly for you as you do for them. It'd be hard to get over that. . . even if the robot sex is AMAZING.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Honestly? When I received the letter (and proof), I'd be so blown away by the technology that I wouldn't have room in my brain to be thinking about relationship values.

Then I'd take her apart.

(Yeah, yeah, I know. Missing the point of the thread. Damn literal NT, etc.)

So, in the spirit of the thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    You can't cheat on a robot, and you can't cheat on someone with a robot, so... I'd definitely keep the robot at home for comfort and emotional support, and I'd go around looking for a *second* relationship, with - hopefully - a human being this time. My very own kind of menage a trois
    Which raises the question, if you found out your SO had such a robot on the side, would you be jealous? If so, how would the jealously be characterized?
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

What lady wouldn't want to date him?

I'd like a robot who can deactivate his/her emotion chip at will! I'd like to be like that, myself!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Here are some thoughts:

1. How different are people from robots, in terms of our "programming"? People are programmed as well, we just have more sense of "free will." But we're still heavily programmed. How comparable is this robot to a human being?

2. Any robot that isn't similar to a human being in terms of free will should have already been noticeably distinct. I think you'd be able to tell the difference. They wouldn't "feel" authentic already.

3. So if the robot was the same as a person, then why stay with a programmed person vs a programmed robot? There's little distinction. And if the robot was not the same as a person, but you still found the robot very acceptable, why would you care that the robot had been programmed?

It just seems like such an impossible example. Theoretically, people would bump the robot just because it was "programmed" and not seemingly authentic -- that's the gut human response. But in real life, the scenario would either not exist or else would have already self-selected --the robot's programming would already be less than human, and anyone who had settled for that level of relationship already wouldn't need authenticity as a requirement.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft