• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How long could you go without the internet?

How long could you go without the internet?

• Total voters

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Are you an internet addict? How long could you go without the internet?

Is there a generational trend? Are the older generation more likely to tolerate absences from the internet?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not very long. I'd have a far easier time going without sex (masturbation included).

I've come to rely on the Internet for so many things in my everyday life. My job would be very difficult to do without the Internet. I use the Internet to read the news, check the weather, email friends and family, for finding music, for playing games, for satisfying my curiosity on subjects of interests.

Honestly, I start to panic when the Internet goes down even for just a brief period of time. A few hours awake with no Internet and I already start feeling "lost."

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I wouldn't last very long. It's where I get much of my socialization and knowledge.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Socializing and time wasting sites: Forever, though I would be grumpy for the first few weeks, there are plenty of other outlets for those two things. However, I don't think I could go more than a week without the ability to look things up or have the convenience of paying my bills in the comfort of my own home. I think I would be aggravated if I had to go back to libraries, books, magazines, newspaper, and snail mail. I could do without the internet shopping, I like doing that in stores.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Not long. I use it for my classes, banking, shopping, staying in touch with virtually everyone...etc.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
My job would be very difficult to do without the Internet.

LOL. People in your profession did not require the internet in the recent past.

I've edited the OP, I have a question about generational differences.
Of course my parents who first used computers in the early 70s (think punch cards!) tend to freak out if they go without the internet for even a day.

V

violaine

Not very long. I'd have a far easier time going without sex (masturbation included).

I've come to rely on the Internet for so many things in my everyday life. My job would be very difficult to do without the Internet. I use the Internet to read the news, check the weather, email friends and family, for finding music, for playing games, for satisfying my curiosity on subjects of interests.

Honestly, I start to panic when the Internet goes down even for just a brief period of time. A few hours awake with no Internet and I already start feeling "lost."

+1.

I guess I could get through, but why would I want to? Life would be so dull without it and even worse, my rampant curiosity would never be sated.

Ok, I'm only slightly exaggerating. But no internet + no sex? O.M.G. :horor:

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be slumped over across the toilet dry heaving after only the first day, yet that wouldn't even begin to compare to the night terrors.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
As far as I am concerned it can crash. I it wouldn't make any significant difference to me.

KDude

I'd probably be aggravated for a week, and then be fine. I don't use it to socialize exactly.. just reading mostly. I can do that offline. I like computers for gaming too, but I play solo a lot anyways, even if it's an MMO.

P

Phantonym

Are you an internet addict? How long could you go without the internet?

I don't think I'm an addict. But since doing my job depends on having an Internet connection and I also need it for schoolwork, paying the bills, keeping in contact with people and looking up necessary information/taking time to relax, I do get antsy when the Internet is down (usually when I happen to need it the most). If I didn't have to do all of these things, I'd be fine with not having a direct connection. There are times I wish I didn't because I'm obligated to check my emails in case there is something urgent that needs a fast reply and it can be bothersome when I'd rather just do other things. So, how long could I go without it isn't really up to me unless I quit my job and become completely antisocial. A day at the most under these circumstances.

Is there a generational trend? Are the older generation more likely to tolerate absences from the internet?

Obviously people who've never used the Internet couldn't care less about it. :D People who don't really feel all that comfortable using computers or the Internet or they just have no interest or a pressing need to use it, they just have other things to do and that might not necessarily depend on the generation. But people from the older generation who've already been hooked, they wouldn't be any different in getting addicted to the Internet.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Well, the longest I went without internet in the last years was 3 weeks, so I guess I could take at least a month.

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
I frequently drive into holiday completely without any entertainment technology besides a gameboy, and usually, I don't even use that. Still, I don't really "miss" these things, I'm fine with just a book and otherwise only swimming, surfing, skiing orwhatever is possible at that place. So I don't think that I'd be bothered that much even if the internet would go down forever. It would be sad though because it's the fastest way to get informations.

Lark

In the past I made a conscious decision to stop using the internet and it was more than a year before I started to use it again.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get antsy after about half a day. That's partially because it's my only method of contact for most people, other than face to face. So if something goes wrong in the lab or whatever, I'll get an email about it. If someone wants to hang out, email. I could probably go a few days without getting too upset if I could just check email and facebook (which I use instead of email for many people), and longer if there was a good reason for it.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'll miss the internet but I'll live. I don't know how long I could in theory hold out. Probably not very long.

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I didn't see 5 minutes on the poll so I voted for 1 day :)

G

Ginkgo

What ever happened to the days when a child could just go outside, stare at a stick, stare at the ground, and dig a hole in the ground with the stick? Then stare at the hole, stare at the stick, and be happy? Do they even have sticks anymore, or did Toys R' Us monopolize on them?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not voting, because I'm not a voter. But it depends. If the internet went down and I knew I couldn't access it? I'd be instantly horrified, enraged and isolated. If I just left it for a while to do other stuff? I could do that for years, though I'd miss some internet-friends.