User Tag List

View Poll Results: How long could you go without the internet?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • A day

14 35.90%
  • A week

9 23.08%
  • A month

2 5.13%
  • 3 months

1 2.56%
  • A year

2 5.13%
  • I would be fine if the internet went down permanently beginning tomorrow.

11 28.21%
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    LOL. People in your profession did not require the internet in the recent past.
    I'm a librarian and virtually all the research I do to help people is all found online. We still have print reference sources but I rarely use them. Someone needs directions to somewhere? I head right to MapQuest. Sometimes I forget that there's road maps right behind me.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ESFJ

I do have moments where i'm not online for a day or two but i'm busy elsewhere.

I enjoy the flexibility that comes with the internet. i like my Online banking, being invisible on FB, if i want to talk via IM then it's there, downloading music, checking out random facts and bookmarking pages.

I like to keep my options open. I think after a week i'd be going through the withdrawals.

When i go on holiday this month, the place has free wifi and i'm taking my netbook.

EDIT - How sad.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Banned
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    istj

forget "a day" i go antsy if my internet is down for longer than like 4 hours in a power outage.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    As far as I am concerned it can crash. I it wouldn't make any significant difference to me.
    Same.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Sometimes I forget that there's road maps right behind me.

Now this is where I draw the line personally. I had a GPS for a total of 3 days. I couldn't stand it. It got downright Nazi lippy when I didn't go the way it wanted. As long as I have a map, I'm good to go.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I had a GPS for a total of 3 days..
    You know, it is possible to use a GPS without the vocal navigation (which never tells you the way you'd go if you actually looked at a map).

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    You know, it is possible to use a GPS without the vocal navigation (which never tells you the way you'd go if you actually looked at a map).
    Yes I know. I don't care for the entire concept. I only got it because my ENFJ was worried I couldn't find my way around in a totally new place and this would make it easier.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Well, realistically, not long, seeing as it's required for my job and all systems are internet-based.

Hypothetically, I could easily go several weeks if I were traveling or something. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the internet. For me, being away from the internet is freeing and wonderful... I love it. Just letting go of all of that, and.. gasp.. actually reading a book, or doing things away from a computer. (Of course this is also coming from someone who has always philosophically been rather anti-technology, in some respects. In many ways, the internet has made things immensely easier, and I love it as far as being able to make purchases / bank without having to go anywhere. I also it for emailing my friends - as the written word is far, far preferable to me over the verbal. BUT. The internet has also complicated various other things, and I definitely resent it - my need to attach myself to a computer for significant portions of my life - in many ways too.)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'd be fine. It would only be a hardship if only I coudn't get on the internet and everyone else could.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

When I was in prison four years ago, I had no internet access for six months although I did have access to an email program. That made it an updated letter writing system.
    When I was recently in Ecuador, I had no internet access at all for two weeks. I was happy with a sketchbook and a journal and my camera. Plus I was kept really busy working outside in an organic reforestation project.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.