User Tag List

View Poll Results: How long could you go without the internet?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • A day

14 35.90%
  • A week

9 23.08%
  • A month

2 5.13%
  • 3 months

1 2.56%
  • A year

2 5.13%
  • I would be fine if the internet went down permanently beginning tomorrow.

11 28.21%
First 1234 Last

I'd probably be aggravated for a week, and then be fine. I don't use it to socialize exactly.. just reading mostly. I can do that offline. I like computers for gaming too, but I play solo a lot anyways, even if it's an MMO.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Are you an internet addict? How long could you go without the internet?
    I don't think I'm an addict. But since doing my job depends on having an Internet connection and I also need it for schoolwork, paying the bills, keeping in contact with people and looking up necessary information/taking time to relax, I do get antsy when the Internet is down (usually when I happen to need it the most). If I didn't have to do all of these things, I'd be fine with not having a direct connection. There are times I wish I didn't because I'm obligated to check my emails in case there is something urgent that needs a fast reply and it can be bothersome when I'd rather just do other things. So, how long could I go without it isn't really up to me unless I quit my job and become completely antisocial. A day at the most under these circumstances.

Is there a generational trend? Are the older generation more likely to tolerate absences from the internet?
    Obviously people who've never used the Internet couldn't care less about it. People who don't really feel all that comfortable using computers or the Internet or they just have no interest or a pressing need to use it, they just have other things to do and that might not necessarily depend on the generation. But people from the older generation who've already been hooked, they wouldn't be any different in getting addicted to the Internet.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Well, the longest I went without internet in the last years was 3 weeks, so I guess I could take at least a month.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I frequently drive into holiday completely without any entertainment technology besides a gameboy, and usually, I don't even use that. Still, I don't really "miss" these things, I'm fine with just a book and otherwise only swimming, surfing, skiing orwhatever is possible at that place. So I don't think that I'd be bothered that much even if the internet would go down forever. It would be sad though because it's the fastest way to get informations.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

In the past I made a conscious decision to stop using the internet and it was more than a year before I started to use it again.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I get antsy after about half a day. That's partially because it's my only method of contact for most people, other than face to face. So if something goes wrong in the lab or whatever, I'll get an email about it. If someone wants to hang out, email. I could probably go a few days without getting too upset if I could just check email and facebook (which I use instead of email for many people), and longer if there was a good reason for it.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I'll miss the internet but I'll live. I don't know how long I could in theory hold out. Probably not very long.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I didn't see 5 minutes on the poll so I voted for 1 day
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

Ginkgo

What ever happened to the days when a child could just go outside, stare at a stick, stare at the ground, and dig a hole in the ground with the stick? Then stare at the hole, stare at the stick, and be happy? Do they even have sticks anymore, or did Toys R' Us monopolize on them?

MBTI
    INFP

I'm not voting, because I'm not a voter. But it depends. If the internet went down and I knew I couldn't access it? I'd be instantly horrified, enraged and isolated. If I just left it for a while to do other stuff? I could do that for years, though I'd miss some internet-friends.