• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The pictures that we use to represent ourselves on the internet. I've been wondering, do we subconsciously choose our avatars based off how we secretly percieve ourselves? Or are they more of a deliberate extension of our true character? What's the psychology beneath why we choose certain pictures to represent who we are to others, and what do the avatars of others tell you about them?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it varies from person to person. Maybe it's both, as we see ourselves, and how we would like to see ourselves, or if we just want to be silly. ;)

I know I picked mine because 1. I liked the picture
2. I didn't have to do any editing to fit into format
3. I relate to that character's personality, to an extent.
4. Gawd Blez Amurrica! :D

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Normally I pick funny or cute avatars and there's nothing more to it. Ooh ooh! Animated ones are always a plus. For me, it's simply aesthetic.

This brilliant avatar was shown to me a while ago in the "Give the above poster a new avatar" thread and I stuck with it.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
The pictures that we use to represent ourselves on the internet. I've been wondering, do we subconsciously choose our avatars based off how we secretly percieve ourselves? Or are they more of a deliberate extension of our true character? What's the psychology beneath why we choose certain pictures to represent who we are to others, and what do the avatars of others tell you about them?

I think avatars, like other things such as music, fashion taste, ect, are all on some varying degree actualized extensions of ourselves. Whether it's picking funny avatars that mirror your own taste in humor or more serious avatars that represent something or someone we identify with personally, there's something there. As far as whether the decision is made consciously, I think the subconscious forms the taste that draws us and makes connections to the aesthetics of the image.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I think it's usually much more basic than all that. You see a cool image, or an image that you think is funny and you use it as an avatar. A movie/TV show you like, etc.

Mine is just a nickname. People call me Panda in real life. After being called "Panda" for so many years you tend to develop a fondness for them. I like pandas.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have changed my avatar for various reasons. Usually it is either me (I had a series of photos of myself) or something that I feel symbolizes me. More recently I've been leaning toward humor in my choice of avatars, either because it makes me giggle, I think it will make other people laugh, or it's an absurd image that reflects me in some sort of caricature.

I'm entirely aware of it. It would never be a case of "oh I just liked this picture."

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Many choices.

Sometimes I choose an avatar... just because it is funny or cool.

Sometimes I choose an avatar based on the character of the avatar in relation to mines. It could be the avatar has a similar personality or a personality that I admire.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My avatars fit my personality &/or the way that I'm feeling at the moment :).

P

Phantonym

I can agree with previous posters that it varies or the choices are random. For some I guess there is something deep and meaningful behind their choice, for some it's just more spontaneous, in the heat of the moment thing even. I guess some use pictures of how they would want to be perceived in real life as well.

You can see what the avatars "tell" to others in that avatar psychoanalysis thread. Sometimes they're interestingly spot on, sometimes way off. Usually I notice other people's avatars when they immediately catch my attention. I don't psychoanalyze them at all. But I've also spent a very long time reading somebody's posts and I do recognize their avatar, but all of a sudden I realize that there's something/somebody on their avatar that I didn't notice before, so the avatar is not what I thought it was after all. It has happened to me several times. :doh:

My choice of avatars is usually based on feeling, the picture somehow seems to capture something I'm currently feeling, it might not even be visible on the picture, it's just the vibe I get from it. I change it when it doesn't correlate with the feeling anymore. I don't have an avatar at the moment because I haven't come across with a picture that would "feel" right. Usually I choose pictures of women, I've tried but it feels weird to have something inanimate or a male form on the avatar. I've also more often than not chosen faces that are partially hidden, it feels weird to have somebody else's full face "representing" me, it feels wrong somehow. And there's no way in hell I would put my own picture up as my avatar, even my own face doesn't feel like mine. :D

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mine's just an aspect of myself.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just choose avatars based on pictures I like or things I find funny or amusing. They aren't necessarily who I am on any really deep level. I'm more than just a carnivorous plant. :cheese:

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
I usually simply use pictures that I like. I differs how much they really say about me or whether they actually describe me, but often, they do to some degree. It's the same process like when I'm choosing a wallpaper I'd say. So I think I don't really choose them to say something to other people.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Mine normally have to do with how I perceive myself, or my current mood or mindset. I'm quite conscious of why I select them, and I like them to be original.

Within

Permabanned
I consiously decide to use a specific avatar because I consider it both beautiful and appealing to me in a individualistic way.

rav3n

Avatars represent something to me, whether mood, identification or just enjoy the surface of it in conjunction with nuance.

T

ThatGirl

I pick my avatars because they convey an impression to the posts I write. Just like yours do to me. I once turned off all the avatars from showing, and got an entirely different impression from people on the forum.

So I chose avatars that tell you what mood to read my posts in. Help you identify where they are coming from. So I guess they symbolize my mood at the time as well.

Usually when I pick mine, I google a mood, then scroll down until one jumps out of the page at me. And that is my new avatar.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
What about people that have self avatars like me?