User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 44

Thread: Avatars

  1. #31
    lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    My avatar choices are intentional. I use the subliminal conveying of colours to allow difference in one's perception when the avatar is seen. I had used black and red at some point to adhere to a more aggressive impression in order for others to more easily debate with me on topics at a stronger level than normal. Blue is used for the more analytical impression and green and yellow for a more tranquil peaceful projection. On a subconscious level avatars do indeed, whether on a microscopic scale or quite the large scale, affect others in their thoughts upon you.
    Usernames and posts tend to also have the same affect.
    That's interesting you say that about user names (and posts, but that is perhaps stating the obvious), for I have noticed a distinct change in how people interact with me since I changed names. It does reflect my different mood and perception....unfortutantly I sound like a hippie beatnix who plays with healing crystals. LOL, I actually picked out the name of a stain we use in the lab which always conjures up romatic images in my head.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #32
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I pick my avatars because they convey an impression to the posts I write. Just like yours do to me. I once turned off all the avatars from showing, and got an entirely different impression from people on the forum.

    So I chose avatars that tell you what mood to read my posts in. Help you identify where they are coming from. So I guess they symbolize my mood at the time as well.

    Usually when I pick mine, I google a mood, then scroll down until one jumps out of the page at me. And that is my new avatar.
    I agree very much with this. Everyone's avatar gives a different voice to their posts. And TG, I like the voice your avatar brings to your posts, btw.

    I generally pick my avatars for similar reasons, and also as I'll generally pick them out to perhaps convey some aspect of myself. How much that is actually carried out, I'm uncertain. But none of them ever feel totally me, but more me than say, an avatar of a disney character or something. Which may work for some, but wouldn't feel right for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    What about people that have self avatars like me?
    This comment after TG's...

    Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    I chose this avatar for being an Ne.
    I likes.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  3. #33
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I likes.
    I like yours too. If I had to guess your type based on avatar alone, I would have said INFP.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #34
    libtard SJW chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,963

    Default

    i picked my avatar because i thought this gif was hilarious and really cute when i first found it, and would get high and watch it dance to different songs (this especially: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiugsEhm3I). i don't know, how can you be unhappy while looking at a dancing otter holding a fish??

    it's weird though because the couple times i've posted in the psychoanalyze your avatar thread, it's been pretty accurate so i guess on some deeper level that otter says something about me lol.

  5. #35
    Uniqueorn William K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    986

    Default

    INFPs are supposed to love unicorns right?

    I chose this particular unicorn pic because it was a jigsaw puzzle I was solving so there's the personal, creative angle thingy.

    Also, it shows an unfinished puzzle because that's how I view myself and my 'growth' process. Still a few pieces shy of completion and it'll probably be a life-long journey
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

    appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

    I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

    The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

  6. #36
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    i picked my avatar because i thought this gif was hilarious and really cute when i first found it, and would get high and watch it dance to different songs (this especially: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxiugsEhm3I). i don't know, how can you be unhappy while looking at a dancing otter holding a fish??

    it's weird though because the couple times i've posted in the psychoanalyze your avatar thread, it's been pretty accurate so i guess on some deeper level that otter says something about me lol.
    i'm curious of the analysis now.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  7. #37
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,664

    Default

    The avatars that I usually choose are anime couples or images of any couple embracing or being with each other and I think this is because I'm trying to express one of my deeper desires: A desire for a strong, emotional bond or connection with another human being.

    My current avatar not only expresses that (I think) but it's also an image that portrays safety and protection. Angels are often thought of as guardians and/or nurturing figures and I think that represents some of the best aspects of my personality. At least that's I feel about it anyway
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  8. #38
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    The pictures that we use to represent ourselves on the internet. I've been wondering, do we subconsciously choose our avatars based off how we secretly percieve ourselves? Or are they more of a deliberate extension of our true character? What's the psychology beneath why we choose certain pictures to represent who we are to others, and what do the avatars of others tell you about them?
    I won't speak for others, because I think different motivations exist.

    For me, my avatar represents me in some way, and I tend to pick ones that evoke a particular image.

    On occasion, I've tried to do just goofy ones or even anti-statements (picking a ridiculous av just to kind of play against expectation), but I'm usually unhappy pretty quickly with it and have to go back to something that better reflects me.

    One of my typical choices for avatar is Death (from Gaiman's "Sandman"). The character resonates with me (she reflects my openness, thoughtful compassion, the ability to view and discuss life from multiple perspectives by going into other people's worlds... all coupled with the notion of Death as change and transformation, another large aspect of my life). Otherwise it's evocative, mystical loner women with an auro of bittersweetness or melancholy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #39
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    I picked this one because I liked the picture a lot when I came across it. Don't really feel the need to change it at all. The avatar before this one was chosen for similar reasons.

    I guess it might accidentally represent a very small portion of my personality, but not really my overall self.
    -end of thread-

  10. #40
    Senior Member copperfish17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Mine is just... pretty. I like what the artist did with the colors on Ariel. Not much meaning attached to the picture itself or Ariel. I've never seen the movie anyway.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] what is it with INTJ's a germanic sounding names/military avatars?
    By Il Morto Qui Parla in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 05:10 AM
  2. Avatar Contest
    By Haight in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-18-2007, 02:01 PM
  3. My avatar at the moment
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 09:49 PM
  4. Movie Star Avatar
    By ferunandesu in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-06-2007, 09:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO