User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Avatars

Phantonym

I can agree with previous posters that it varies or the choices are random. For some I guess there is something deep and meaningful behind their choice, for some it's just more spontaneous, in the heat of the moment thing even. I guess some use pictures of how they would want to be perceived in real life as well.

You can see what the avatars "tell" to others in that avatar psychoanalysis thread. Sometimes they're interestingly spot on, sometimes way off. Usually I notice other people's avatars when they immediately catch my attention. I don't psychoanalyze them at all. But I've also spent a very long time reading somebody's posts and I do recognize their avatar, but all of a sudden I realize that there's something/somebody on their avatar that I didn't notice before, so the avatar is not what I thought it was after all. It has happened to me several times.

My choice of avatars is usually based on feeling, the picture somehow seems to capture something I'm currently feeling, it might not even be visible on the picture, it's just the vibe I get from it. I change it when it doesn't correlate with the feeling anymore. I don't have an avatar at the moment because I haven't come across with a picture that would "feel" right. Usually I choose pictures of women, I've tried but it feels weird to have something inanimate or a male form on the avatar. I've also more often than not chosen faces that are partially hidden, it feels weird to have somebody else's full face "representing" me, it feels wrong somehow. And there's no way in hell I would put my own picture up as my avatar, even my own face doesn't feel like mine.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Mine's just an aspect of myself.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ----

they choose me, i don't choose them.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I just choose avatars based on pictures I like or things I find funny or amusing. They aren't necessarily who I am on any really deep level. I'm more than just a carnivorous plant.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I usually simply use pictures that I like. I differs how much they really say about me or whether they actually describe me, but often, they do to some degree. It's the same process like when I'm choosing a wallpaper I'd say. So I think I don't really choose them to say something to other people.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Mine normally have to do with how I perceive myself, or my current mood or mindset. I'm quite conscious of why I select them, and I like them to be original.

Banned

I consiously decide to use a specific avatar because I consider it both beautiful and appealing to me in a individualistic way.

Avatars represent something to me, whether mood, identification or just enjoy the surface of it in conjunction with nuance.

ThatGirl

I pick my avatars because they convey an impression to the posts I write. Just like yours do to me. I once turned off all the avatars from showing, and got an entirely different impression from people on the forum.

So I chose avatars that tell you what mood to read my posts in. Help you identify where they are coming from. So I guess they symbolize my mood at the time as well.

Usually when I pick mine, I google a mood, then scroll down until one jumps out of the page at me. And that is my new avatar.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

What about people that have self avatars like me?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations