123 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Knowing something but not being able to explain it in words

I know I experience this every now and then. I had someone tell me once that if you can't explain it, you don't really know it. I disagree. I think there are things you can know but have a hard time explaining. For example, I might get a sense that someone is a certain MBTI type but if you ask me to explain my reasoning, all I can say is there is a certain vibe they give off or they happen to remind me of someone that I know is a certain type.

Do you think you can know something but not be able to really explain it?

If so, how often does this happen to you?

Examples?

Is this type related? I'm guessing its probably more common in N types, and maybe in F types. I would guess that Ni dominants are most likely to experience this sort of thing.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    yupp

yes, all the time it's to the point where I act like i don't know anything most of the time.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

I think Ni dominants can get their words through better than anyone - even when they don't make sense/structure it around Fe or Te. They at least kind of just swash around observations often.

Fi has the most nebulous and personal way of wording things imo. Ti works things out fairly precisely, even if it's in their heads - I think INTPs can sometimes be concise, yet push out what they're seeing in a rather holographic way, that's almost hard to not see what they mean.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Do you think you can know something but not be able to really explain it?
    It happens to everyone, so yeah, I think so.
    If so, how often does this happen to you?
    Sometimes. On a regular basis. But it drives me crazy and I usually brainstorm or talk through it until I can think of a way to express it.
    Is this type related? I'm guessing its probably more common in N types, and maybe in F types. I would guess that Ni dominants are most likely to experience this sort of thing.
    It seems like it happens a lot with anyone trying to explain their introverted function process (i.e. Si, Ti, Ni, Fi) - for example, don't even try to get me to explain my moral views, or else it'll come down to "I think this because it's RIGHT" without the ability to elaborate (and you have no idea how much it embarrasses me when other people witness that). But the difference I've seen is that the Ni types (and the NFPs) are the ones that tend to be convinced that those introverted thoughts/feelings are un-expressable that they don't even bother trying to explain them. I wonder if it's that they just stop caring about being understood, because they feel like they're going to be misunderstood regardless? Whereas ESTJs don't generally feel misunderstood because if they want someone to know something, they tell them loud and clear. Emphasis on loud
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

ThatGirl

Welcome to 99.9% of my life. I have an incredibly difficult time smashing huge ideas into words.

The thing is, yes there are many things I just KNOW. If asked to explain it I can take a min to trace back exactly where it came from. But then trying to reiterate all that back enough for someone to follow along, is next to impossible in the time of relevance. I would have to start from the most basic idea and build up, showing how multiple things start merging etc and I would confuse the shit out of everyone.

so yes, I know where it came from just no one else does. Sorry to sound like a skeptic, but understanding my own mind has helped me understand others. I don't put a lot of stock into people's hunches, because especially if they don't know where it is coming from, it can be (and usually is) laced with bias.

Everything is traceable in the human mind, even people who are bat shit insane. Yes, I have problems explaining it, because there are a lot of variables at work in that one little idea.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Your multiple intelligence type could play a part as well. I'm linguistic so I usually have no problems getting my thoughts out in words/sentences. Whether the other person understands my words is another matter

I would think the logical-mathematical and spatial types would fare better in other communication forms
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

ThatGirl

You probably have a point there.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Language itself is fundamentally limited, but one can spend time matching their thoughts with language so they can communicate their idea.

Our brains, regardless of type are very good at pattern matching based on experiences. Of course the patterns we are both exposed to and tend to match are those that are related to our prior experiences. It is natural to form such patterns without being able to explain how we formed such ideas. Of course if you train yourself, you can develop ways to unwrap the patterns you observe and devise hypotheses that will allow you to learn more about such patterns. The short cut is of course to consult literature or a more knowledgeable person, though you still need to integrate this knowledge with your experience.

Extraverted Judging is about incorporating a lot expected or expedient processes from the environment, and this can also includes facility in communication (that is, in the widely understood i.e. extraverted sense). In the same way Se integrates and merges itself within images and trends in a sensory way (it isn't just about liking hamburgers or the color green). Valued extroverted functions shape what you push back out or what you've deemed the best means to express the introverted standpoint. Why do you think some ENFJs get joked about for being a little mesmerizing, for example.. Martin Luther King Jr. isn't just typed an NFJ just because he was an idealist. The same goes for Hitler, unfortunately.

Not that anyone else can't speak or be image oriented.. we all do and learn to operate from a little of everything. MBTI was always just intended to be about strengths/preferences. Like our behavioral compass, I guess.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

This is not a type related phenomenon. It's called tacit knowledge and we all have it.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness