User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    I've gotten nothing but chastity and/or drugs from a young age because of it.
    Chastity ?? ... Oh! Chastisement...

Other than that: what you went through sucks, Nocap And it's precisely what I want to avoid for my son, so thanks for fueling up my fighting batteries I hope I won't need them, but if I do, I know where to go to recharge them

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    Chastity ?? ... Oh! Chastisement...
    Yes thank you. That was egregious.
    Other than that: what you went through sucks, Nocap And it's precisely what I want to avoid for my son, so thanks for fueling up my fighting batteries I hope I won't need them, but if I do, I know where to go to recharge them
    Heh... This is actually pretty uncharacteristic of me. I'm generally not one to buy into this kind of thing. It's too "save the children" like for me, but it's got a personal twist, and I really do feel slighted all this.

Fuckers.
    we fukin won boys

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm diagnosed with ADD as well. Back when I was in school people weren't getting medicated for it, that I know of. I didn't have hyperactivity, I had inattentive type ADD, and I was a cute little girl in pigtails so I had a network of adults who wanted to help me remember and finish things (and one AG/GT teacher who wanted me to learn the hard way- Oh, how I wish they had let me).
    I'll be honest I had that as well. I didn't want the help though. I actively refused to comply with a lot of what they asked of me, and instructed me to do. I like to do things whatever way I can think to do them. Is that really such a bad thing?
    I'm guessing a lot of the teens with these problems have been let down by the educators and parents in their lives who locked horns with them instead of being cooperative and helping them manage themselves.
    Definitely true. I don't think it's really there, but for some reason I picked up what sounded like a global protective sentiment. It's my opinion that most of the kids who might complain about this, and ride the coat-tails of any action related to this are just regular lazy idiot kids.

Medication, to me, is a red herring. Prescribe it or not, sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't, but parental attitude is WAY more important, IMO.
    Medication is evil. Period. What they use to control these kids are amphetamines. Did anyone else know that amphetamines kill brain cells? I did. Lots of them. Especially if you continually take them over extended periods of time, and you're guaranteed to, because as your brain adjusts to the imbalance caused by the presence of the substance (let's not forget, the brain WILL go back to its own sense of balance) then you depend on them just to function, and you have to up the dose to get the same effect.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The flipside of the help was "Oh, you poor sweet dear child, you simply don't have the competence to do these things yourself, let us help you!" It was crippling in some ways because I came to rely on it and had to consciously wean myself off of it in college instead of turning on the cute for my professors and getting special treatment. And now, outside the education environment, I still find it difficult to keep track of things. Oddly enough, finishing isn't a problem for me anymore, but starting is.

I considered medication last year but concurrently I had a heart problem and was told in no uncertain terms that ADD medication would be a bad, bad choice for me.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    This isn't a PC viewpoint and probably won't make any sense to those of you born in the eighties or later but lots of kids and young adults act out because they lost out on the stability and foundation they were supposed to have in life through an intact home. Those homes were called "broken" for a reason.
    Thank you for bringing this point up. I think it is important too. Yes, it is not politically correct but a valid concern.

Enneagram
    1w2

Is there any evidence besides anecdotal proving that they do help?

I can answer that for you. No.

The point of the article wasn't to say that the medicines aren't working -- they're not... I've seen it, but I don't wear a lab-coat, so let's don't take me too seriously -- he was saying, "yeah they're doing what they're supposed to, but are we sure that what they're supposed to do is what we want?"
    I searched PubMed to get some info about drug therapy and ADHD. There is evidence out there that some drug therapy is beneficial and not all of it is overprescribing, but you can look for yourself. I'm not extolling drug therapy either, I just won't make a blanket statement claiming that drug therapy doesn't work just because it didn't work for some people I know.

Oh that's great. Just fall back on the difficulty of the work. That must make what they do more reliable. Sudoku is hard... maybe we should start examining that more thoroughly. I wonder if I can get a degree in sudoku.
    Nocapszy, please tell me you aren't comparing sudoku to a mental disorder. Although I can see how Samurai sudoku would make people lose their mind and flip tables leading to a diagnosis of ODD and APD.

Prote, here's the deal. The DSM is a joke. Shocking right? To say the holy text of the psychological field be thrown on the bon-fire with all the other conservative books. This one is no different...
    Please suggest alternatives. My basic point is their are behaviors that are destructive and maladaptive. I know the DSM isn't a perfect book but not everything in it is crap pulled out of the center of a doctor's ass. What are standardized alternatives for medical professionals to use in order to help their patients and receive treatment? How will treatment even begin? You go to the doctor because you're coughing, your throat is sore, and you're congested. These symptoms are indicative of something. If a kid is engaging in criminal behavior, endangering their lives and the lives of the people around them are you suggesting this is typical? Do you have issues with other texts medical professionals use to diagnose and treatment diseases and illness or is your wrath specifically aimed at the DSM? I acknowledge that diagnosing illness of the mind is hard and there's much room for error.

Well, yeah ok, fair enough, but instead, why don't we just not give them drugs at all. Maybe, instead the kids shouldn't have to flex, but the teaching mechanisms need to be rethought.
    Agreed, psychotherapy before medicating. And from your personal experiences maybe psychotherapy would've been the best route for you or alternative health techniques to help. Frankly some doctors don't know about all that's out there to help their patients. Unfortunately some of them are using the dated information they learned in medical school so perhaps their ignorance is hindering healthy minds. But don't demonize all medication because they do help some people. If they don't help most people then I can see case being made against it but that's not the case. Medication helps some patients get their symptoms under control enough for them to begin taking the steps necessary for a mental peace so there will be time when they don't need it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Thank you for bringing this point up. I think it is important too. Yes, it is not politically correct but a valid concern.
    I don't think it's necessarily politically INcorrect. Political correctness would shy away from prescribing one kind of family that everyone should have, but not from affirming that everyone needs to be a part of a loving family of some kind and that when families dissolve, kids can suffer.

(Heading over to the "What do you hate?" thread to post about the term PC.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think that the abolition of the paddle or the ruler could have something to do with teen rebellion, as well, seeing how there are many people who can't tell the difference between spanking children and beating the living crap out of them. Spare the rods, spoil the child.

Suspending kids from school, which is a common practice these days, is probably the worst thing to do, since it's basically a vacation for the student -- some may think that this is the exact reason kids cause trouble, because of the vacation time they would get. And this notion intensifies when parents aren't home to discipline their children.

I think that if a child is to be suspended from school, their suspension should take place in a detention on the school grounds until their suspension period is up.

(This is, of course, if teenage rebellion is indeed a problem.)

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't think it's necessarily politically INcorrect. Political correctness would shy away from prescribing one kind of family that everyone should have, but not from affirming that everyone needs to be a part of a loving family of some kind and that when families dissolve, kids can suffer.

(Heading over to the "What do you hate?" thread to post about the term PC.)
    It is pretty rare in my experience that people can talk openly about how divorce and/or parental preoccupation and/or selfishness might affect children. Maybe you run with a more open minded and critical thinking crowd, but this is my experience. If politically incorrect is the wrong term, I don't know which term would be better so forgive me. One thing is for sure, it becomes the elephant in the room.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    It is pretty rare in my experience that people can talk openly about how divorce and/or parental preoccupation and/or selfishness might affect children. Maybe you run with a more open minded and critical thinking crowd, but this is my experience. If politically incorrect is the wrong term, I don't know which term would be better so forgive me. One thing is for sure, it becomes the elephant in the room.
    Really?! I often hear people talking about how these problems affect children of divorced parents. I just had a conversation about it with my hairstylist. I don't think this is un-PC at all.