User Tag List

First 1234 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    This is a very insightful comment that really touches the nerve of the problem.
    I'm pretty hesitant to agree, with an ISFP, but yes. Fuckin' A. Or at least partially.

I don't want to say any one thing is to blame.

Actually I don't even want to post in this thread 'cause I'd hate to look like one of those "bohemian bourgeois" a group I assault almost as vehemently as those they pretend to oppose, and now, have a new name for.
    we fukin won boys

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

sounds rather Stepford Wifeish to me

My mom is an elementary school teacher and most of her class is on some sort of medication or another- some of the kids genuinely need something (preferably therapy... like the kid who found his mother dead one morning on the way to school ) but a majority of the kids are just normal children who's parents couldn't handel them, and since they couldn't drop them off at the humane society they drugged them instead

I'll admit to having been a somewhat bad child- I talked back a lot and liked to ask WHY we had to learn certain things or why math worked the way it did (not to mention my tendancy to escape on field trips and do things like visit the state capitol building instead of go to the mall like we were supposed to ). A lot of teachers pretty much begged my parents to medicate me but my parents always told them that I was just a normal curious child and that if they couldn't handle me they were in the wrong occupation!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    A lot of teachers pretty much begged my parents to medicate me but my parents always told them that I was just a normal curious child and that if they couldn't handle me they were in the wrong occupation!
    MUST...

RESIST...

SNIDE...

REMARK...

*collapses onto floor*

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm reminded of this line from the motion picture Uncle Buck:

Buck Russell: I don't think I want to know a six-year-old who isn't a dreamer, or a sillyheart. And I sure don't want to know one who takes their student career seriously. I don't have a college degree. I don't even have a job. But I know a good kid when I see one. Because they're ALL good kids, until dried-out, brain-dead skags like you drag them down and convince them they're no good. You so much as scowl at my niece, or any other kid in this school, and I hear about it, and I'm coming looking for you!
    [of Anita's mole]
    Buck Russell: Take this quarter, go downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face! Good day to you, madam.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    MUST...

RESIST...

SNIDE...

REMARK...

*collapses onto floor*

it was too easy- responding to that with a snide remark is like making a joke about Bush's language usage!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Very disturbing. Really excellent article BTW... very thoughtful...

It reminds about an interesting article from a sociologist about psychiatry as a form of social control. Whatever is outside the norm is equated to a mental disorder. Whatever is normal is considered the behavior to achieve. All this is done regardless of a concern for philosophical assumptions or cultural idiosyncracies. This thus effectively stops any social change and reinforces the system.

My opinion is that, if people display mental illnesses, alot of them are not necessarily due to *them* but due to a system they are in. Their illnesses are simply part of a bigger problem.

Take a corporation that treats people in an inhuman way. If People start falling into depression because of it, chances are that their therapist will tell them that the solution is to change the way they think about things and "adapt". When, in fact, the depression is there for a reason: it is a social alarm signal. It means that there is a bigger problem.

Yes, you have zeroed in on a very important point.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

It seems that doctors, politicians, and teachers were never kids themselves.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I'm in pharmacology... and I'm cynical about drug companies... Their bottom line is to make money. So they attempt to push drugs for everything... and not just any drugs... but NEW PATENTABLE ones. So the consumers have to shell out lots of dough. So many things are being turned into diseases right now that very few people are classified as "normal". It doesn't surprise me that they try to push for giving kids sedatives to "help them".

You get the same thing with SSRIs (new antidepressants like Paxil). They're way over prescribed... More people should be give other forms of treatment like counsellings or cognitive therapy. But they don't... because it takes more time. Then you get a bunch of patients who are dependent on drugs... it sure makes the drug companies happy.

*ends rant*

MBTI
    infp

I'm a not-so-rebellious-but-occasionally-rebellious teen, so this is interesting.

"all ADHD-diagnosed children will pay attention to activities that they enjoy or that they have chosen. In other words, when ADHD-labeled kids are having a good time and in control, the "disease" goes away."

Sounds like me... except I've never been diagnosed or even questioned about ADHD, the closest is the time my mom pitched the idea of therapy to me after she found out I was avoiding my school work and I tried to explain how I'm not just lazy but I have a serious aversion to some of the work. This is all a very serious problem for me, actually, in that not only do my grades suffer, but my relationship with my parents has also been taxed over the issue of schoolwork, motivation, and so forth. We can all agree that when given an assignment I enjoy and relate to and respect, I do a fantastic job.

I'm not even sure if I believe its a real disorder, but that describes my behaviour very well. My "rebellion" is indeed very passive agressive, and is mostly done in the form of not doing some of my schoolwork that I do not find interesting or see any merit in doing from an educational standpoint. This isn't concious rebellion, or concious at all, its just soemthing I tend to do that I suppose could be identified as rebellion. All my favourite teachers have been the ones that went against the grain and taught in an alternative style that delivered the same information in ways that clicked into my mind like floodwater through a maze... just rushing in through the cracks with no delays.

Speaking of which, we discussed this in Law class (with an awesome ENFP teacher!), and one case involved a 13 year old girl who murdered her parents for being strict. She obviously had serious problems (plus she wanted to date a man who was like 25 or soemthing). The teacher mentioned ODD, and said he thought it was absurd when he heard about it. His exact words were "ODD? Isn't that called being a normal teenager?". He then talked about how he thought the idea of normalcy in society is far narrower than actual psychological health would have it.

Throughout my life I have protested several things in school, upright and only in my mind. I once yelled at the teacher over math class in like grade seven because I thought it was a compelte waste of time to learn algebra (I stand by it to this day) and more recently I've been whole heartedly against my english class and especially Shakespeare.

"but I try to critically think through things. However, if I had gone to public school, I imagine I would have gone crazy from it all."-
    OwarinoTenshi

Yep, you're lucky I always try to think critically and understand why I feel that way about some things. I really wish I had more freedom and independance... I'm a big fan of independant learning, and school is suffocating because it lacks that.

I'm not sure what my point is. On one hand, I think I relate and fit many of these "symptoms", but I really think there is nothing wrong with me and I just work better in specific environments, and unfourtunately I am rarely exposed to them. I don't consider myself rebellious for the most part, and I tend to get along well with adults and authority and they seem to enjoy me, but I can relate to a lot of this, except I havn't been put on medication.

This reminds me of the saying "most insane people do not believe they are insane"... because maybe they arn't.

MBTI
    infp

Heres something I'd like to hear your opinions on; are these students perhaps just natural leaders who are poor at taking orders and work better at constructing their own environment?

And another thing; is this more common in men and is it perhaps responsible to soem degree for the "man-children" who continue to act like immature kids into their 20's?