User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default People in Crowds Pick Leaders...just like Sheep.

Crowds 'pick leaders to follow'By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
    Last Updated: 11:01pm GMT 14/02/2008

People in crowds behave just like sheep, scientists claim, by blindly following one or two people who seem to know where they are going.

Like ants, humans are easily led

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

*queues up behind heart and waits patiently*

Seriously. Yes. It is easier to have your thinking thought out for you, and merely complain vs think and act. Why else the popularity of religion.. sometimes religion is an easy way out of thinking, isn't it...

Think of the leaders in human history. Most of them have/had charisma. Be they right or wrong. That conviction swayed and brought them power...

We're social animals. We want to be led, then we want to be free. But even in freedom, we'd elect a leader.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Ooh, nice quip there aelan. Except... there's never been such a thing as freedom. We can use that word all we want. Doesn't make it true. This isn't the land of the free. It's the land of the delusional.

Maybe the land of the freeer, but we've got a long ways to go.

Actually, I'm not sure freedom can exist. At all. We're always subsidiary to physics aren't we?
    we fukin won boys

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Ooh, nice quip there aelan. Except... there's never been such a thing as freedom. We can use that word all we want. Doesn't make it true. This isn't the land of the free. It's the land of the delusional.

Actually, I'm not sure freedom can exist. At all. We're always subsidiary to physics aren't we?
    Agreed on the illusion of freedom. 'Tis why I said even in freedom we elect leaders.

I think it was Rosseau(?) that had it "freedom is the right to choose your own chains".

Physics. Erm. If you want to come down to that, we're subject to Biology too.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    "Even more striking, that study found that even when we are shown a faster route, we still prefer to stick with the old one and tell others to take the long road too.

That discovery could have lethal implications when it comes to evacuating a building or ship in an emergency, when people would likely stick to the familiar evacuation route, even if slower than an alternative.
    I honestly say, let 'em burn.

We might just be able to keep the intelligence level of the human gene pool from dropping if we just let them get killed.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Agreed on the illusion of freedom. 'Tis why I said even in freedom we elect leaders.
    But it's not freedom. Didn't need to say anything.
    I think it was Rosseau(?) that had it "freedom is the right to choose your own chains".

Physics. Erm. If you want to come down to that, we're subject to Biology too.
    Well yeah, but then biology is another subordinate of physics. I chose the highest known umbrella.
    we fukin won boys

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

^^

*perks up*

explain the physics - biology subordinate, if it doesn't detail heart's thread?

MBTI
    istp

people often follow me even though i either do not know or havent decided where im going

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post

by "freedom", people mean freedom within the constraints that humanity is universally subject to, nobody is suggesting that we are gods. the word is used loosely as even within our country people will have a varying degree of liberties depending on their circumstances.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

MBTI
    INFP

I am not innocent of having used the sheep comparison when referring to human mindlessness, but I will say one thing...

Perhaps sheep know what they are doing? If you follow the herd, your chances of getting eaten by the wolf are diminished. Why are sheep always laughed at for their tendency to follow? If your brother sheep jumped off a cliff, perhaps you would want to go where the brother went, because you could not imagine life without him? I'm sure sheep do what is most natural because it works.