First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

"Why do people always follow me? I must have charisma...."

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    by "freedom", people mean freedom within the constraints that humanity is universally subject to, nobody is suggesting that we are gods. the word is used loosely as even within our country people will have a varying degree of liberties depending on their circumstances.
    Well obviously.

I figured it was so obvious that it would be understood it was hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    explain the physics - biology subordinate, if it doesn't detail heart's thread?
    Wouldn't detailing the thread be a good thing?

I'm glad the t and r are so close together.
    we fukin won boys

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Well obviously.

I figured it was so obvious that it would be understood it was hyperbole.

Wouldn't detailing the thread be a good thing?

I'm glad the t and r are so close together.
    .... Thanks for spotting that.

And for making it obvious. :steam:

PM an explanation?!

sorry heart. *nudges thread back*

people = sheep because they all follow.

what of people who are not in crowds though? Are there lone ranger sheep?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

This all seems a little simplistic to me.
    Even forum dynamics HERE at MBTIc are far more complex than all this.
    Even people looking for leadership don't necessarily follow blindly.

Discuss.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Even people looking for leadership don't necessarily follow blindly.

Discuss.
    I agree. It's not a bad thing. Following a leader is a way of supporting the direction you wish your community to take.

MBTI
    INTP

Seems like an interesting study. I'm going to have to look more into it.

This study seems to show that we have a strong tendency to blindly group behind a few leaders who appear to know what they're doing (whether that appearance is recognized consciously or not). However, in this case it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal, because most of the participants didn't have a goal other than walking around randomly.

I want to know how bad our tendency is when we're presented with a situation where we have a clear goal that can be figured out (albeit perhaps requiring a little effort). Give some of the people instructions to follow a plan that will ultimately fail (although it is not immediately obvious that it will do so) and see whether people follow them or figure out their own plan. I think it would be interesting to see how many people actually critically think through things or just lazily follow. Then, take a bunch of high IQ people, and see if they pretty much do the exact same thing. I'll bet they do.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

A person is smart, but people are dumb. The smart person is an anomaly, so a smart person is more likely to be independent of a social group. If a smart person is also socially inclined, chances are that s(he) is the one who manipulates the crowds and controls their thoughts. But people are, at large, fools who need to band together because they can't think for themselves. Mankind's survival is attributed to a crowd of idiots being led, for better or for worse, by a wise person. And most people do things because their friends do it, they don't really question why they do it.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Does this cause traffic jams? I swear that once I get to the front of the pack people start following me like some kind of leader. They don't go around me, they try to just keep up... I've noticed they do the same with others, too.

Maybe there's something to this.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    istp

Don't these scientists have anything better to do? Cure cancer maybe? Work on hydrogen power?

o rly peeple follow leaders didnt no that thx guys
    No offense.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by 6sticks View Post
    Don't these scientists have anything better to do? Cure cancer maybe? Work on hydrogen power?

o rly peeple follow leaders didnt no that thx guys
    *coughs* It's for the poor psychology graduate students... After so many thesis projects... you start running out of nice ideas to test. So while they're at it... let's see how sheep-like people can get.

BAAAA! I don't think it has much to do with intelligence so much as the situation. People weren't given much directions as to what to do in the room. Following somebody else in an ambiguous situation has probably been evolutionally programmed into human beings. Afterall group cohesion is what helped us survived thousands of years ago...

This really isn't new finding though... more like expanding on the old. Or rather the very very old studies. Candid camera!
    Elevator Candid, Must See... Video - Metacafe