User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Default Have you ever changed your mind on a fundamental issue as a result of an argument?

Have you ever changed your mind on a fundamental issue as a result of an argument?
    On the internet or real life? Family or colleagues or friends?

What scale of issues?

On the contrary to popular belief about the efficacy of argument on the internet, I have seen people change their minds on big issues such as politics and religion, which were catalysed by arguments on the internet. But are these the exceptions, rather than the norms? (the individuals in question were NTs)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes both in real life and on the Internet.

I can be educated to see a different viewpoint.

It's one of the reasons why I do argue on the Internet. It's not just for entertainment and spewing my opinions, it's to think and learn.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes to both real life and the Internet.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

Alot actually. Normally on issues dealing with politics or the like, where the implications of the policies or whatever affect others, and not just me. But its a slow process.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I have to be open to the person. That's crucial. If I have some emotional wall or mental wall up against them for some personal reason, I can't learn from them. And I find that I learn a lot from NTs.

I've even learned from an ENTP who I argued BITTERLY with. But over time he became more consistent in simply supplying information instead of baiting me, and was extremely persistent about teaching me, and now I'm thankful for it.

A year ago, though, I wanted to smack him.

This doesn't mean I'm going to come around to everyone's way of thinking just because they're an NT or can present a logical, informative argument. I am capable of seeing when someone is simply being opinionated, even if they're being all Te or Ti about their opinions.

I mean, I'm not like in awe of NTs, I think I can hold my own. It's just that some of them make very good teachers.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Actually, not to me recollection. I've changed my mind about things I've had arguments with people about (decriminalizing drugs, using nuclear power, etc..) but it wasn't an argument itself that made the change. It was usually research that ended up changing my mind.

Okay, I thought of one. I used to deride vegetarianism, and now I often think I should probably become one if I want to be honest to my morals. That was the result of an argument.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Well, on 'fundamental issues' I have not revised my stances, but I have on lesser things. I have become more open minded in general as I've gotten older. But on human rights, the value of life, ahimsa, equality, justice, etc, I have changed nothing, and never will.

Yes, but I have to be able to see your point.

Probably the biggest viewpoint that has changed is about military. Mostly in the form of the "College vs Military" ideologies and so forth. At this point, I just don't care who takes which path, but making snide remarks like "Yea, join the military so you can die across seas" or "You don't have pride for your country" quickly gets pushed to the side. What changed my viewpoint? Well it is a combination of seeing what people can do as well as knowing people who have served/is serving the military and at the same time, see people that go to college and seeing what they do.

In fact, I was pretty sure I was against going to the military, now it is like, if I, or someone else goes, than let me/him/her go. In fact, I won't argue with someone to not go.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Actually, not to me recollection. I've changed my mind about things I've had arguments with people about (decriminalizing drugs, using nuclear power, etc..) but it wasn't an argument itself that made the change. It was usually research that ended up changing my mind.

Okay, I thought of one. I used to deride vegetarianism, and now I often think I should probably become one if I want to be honest to my morals. That was the result of an argument.
    Would you agree that there's a cumulative effect necessary to change your viewpoint, and that technically an argument was a contributing factor? I'm like you, an argument has never really directly/immediately altered my stance on a subject, but it has facilitated introspection, which has led to change.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Not arguments on the internet (forums, anyway...articles and online papers are a different matter), but arguments from friends/colleagues and published papers have changed my mind.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness