User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. #21
    Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    4,797

    Default

    Yes i have, poss not my position entirely but parts of it. I have also realised i made some cringeworthy stupid posts here in the past... but meh, i look to the future.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

  2. #22
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    but it wasn't an argument itself that made the change. It was usually research that ended up changing my mind.
    That is what I meant by catalysis. It prompted you to rethink your view and seek new information.

    Jennifer detailed a few examples of what I mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    Yes, though I would ultimately reach that point after research on my own.
    How so? I mean how would you become familiar with their point of view, or otherwise find challenges to your existing view?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    As soon as someone uses the right/wrong dichotomy and then plunks down a ton of subjective opinion as evidence to support it, I shut down and just view them as blathering idiots.
    What do you consider sufficient evidence to reconsider their opinion? How common do you see these black/white opinions being presented (in various social spheres from ones workplace, to internet forums)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Oft times I find people are seeking different sorts of validation, not simply of a particular perspective or opinion but themselves when they sally out in topical discussions. Argument is a poor substitute for discussion.
    What sorts of validation and at what point does heated discussion spill over into less useful argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I have also realised i made some cringeworthy stupid posts here in the past... but meh, i look to the future.
    Has anyone here ever gone back and edited posts days/weeks/months later because they made a factual error? (even if it did not effect the overall argument)

    I can't recall specifics, but I've done that a few times. The sad part I feel is when you say something silly and no one calls you out.

    (Note: the above questions are not necessarily specific to the individuals who I quoted).

  3. #23
    Senior Member Santosha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni
    Posts
    1,521

    Default

    Yes I have. This is why I love discussion/argument. I rarely argue to convince others, its almost always for my own understanding. I am also tempted to play devils advocate on topics I am really undecided on. Some might say this is a form of trolling, but I disagree, as I do not resort to flaming comments or personal attacks. Always idea attacks. I have argued many things and found myself later to be terribley wrong. It stings, but who cares? You live you learn. Forums are a great place for learning.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

  4. #24
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    What sorts of validation and at what point does heated discussion spill over into less useful argument?
    Personal validation mainly, it can be about their personal prowess or styling in the course of the discussion, if they want to "win" or the direction of the discussion goes into that of a clear "win, lose or draw" framing.

    Then it could become debating but its more likely to be argument, debate I consider to be open discussion within a context of acknowledged and amicable differences, argument I characterise by the prescence of acrimony and ill will, perhaps its controlled and contained to a point but its still present, ready for things to turn ugly or it could contribute to things turning ugly.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Yes I have. This is why I love discussion/argument. I rarely argue to convince others, its almost always for my own understanding. I am also tempted to play devils advocate on topics I am really undecided on. Some might say this is a form of trolling, but I disagree, as I do not resort to flaming comments or personal attacks. Always idea attacks. I have argued many things and found myself later to be terribley wrong. It stings, but who cares? You live you learn. Forums are a great place for learning.
    I would too, disagree with that being trolling I mean, I think its very important to play devils advocate, not simply on things you're undecided about but also on topics that you are decided on. Sometimes even more so then than otherwise.

    Without being neurotic about it its a better idea to investigate challenges to your own acknowledged perspectives than simply preach to the choir, look for echoes or cheer leading.

  6. #26
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    Facts are crucial for me. If newer information is out and published, it can sway me a lot. "X used to be the case because of assumptions based on this old research.. but now we know that these people suffer more from Y, and that is why we need to fund Y and be opened minded about this." I can go from "No way, thats awful!" to "Oh, I see... Hm.. Mayhap then."

    Outside of that.. if someone is being civil and not so personal, I can listen to them.. the more personal something gets for someone, the less I tend to listen when it comes to swaying my OWN opinion, but I dont necessarily toss their arguments out the window for the discussion. Knowing why other people disagree with you is good information in its own right, and helps build my own foundations.

    If I argue about something personal.. it is simply because I cannot help myself but to try. I don't expect to sway anyone's opinions, those are hard things to change when it comes to bigger issues and philosophical thinking. Trying still helps soothe my heart though.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  7. #27
    Senior Member guesswho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Yeah well, how about defining fundamental first.

    People rarely change their fundamental beliefs, because they've invested a lot in them, and they're at the foundation of their belief system.

    So no, it hasn't happened to me.

    However, on a smaller scale, arguments have changed my mind about things.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Yeah well, how about defining fundamental first.

    People rarely change their fundamental beliefs, because they've invested a lot in them, and they're at the foundation of their belief system.

    So no, it hasn't happened to me.

    However, on a smaller scale, arguments have changed my mind about things.
    This is interesting, although I dont see the dichotomies that some people do and when they are presented to me as real when I dont experience them as such they tend to become tedious and I feel no this binary logic is bullshit, I will not choose from the two imperfect possibilities you have presented me with when I think we're ignoring a more interesting overarching discussion.

    Dichotomies which I've felt were false but others didnt included for instance socialism vs. individualism, particularly with reference to public or social policies, market socialism vs. non-market socialism, that ones a little more obscure and niche but anyhow.

    I'm always pleased when I discover some transcendence of either-or thinking were it shouldnt apply, particularly if its delivered by someone who's ignorant of its existence in the first place, they look upon the thing with a fresh prespective.

    A great example of this I remember was in a mailing list on anarchism which I participated in the late ninties, they were debating the differences between "lifestyle" and "social" anarchism, it was a case of never the twain shall meet and each is anathema to one another and one is true the other false, until someone who had a much more casual and apolitical interest, who was actually more interesting in cycling, asked what's this all about, when they two ideas were outlined they said yeah, I'm for both of those things then. Really was good to see how that threw a useful spanner in the works.

  9. #29
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    What do you consider sufficient evidence to reconsider their opinion? How common do you see these black/white opinions being presented (in various social spheres from ones workplace, to internet forums)?
    I'm fine with disagreements and differing opinions. But "right/wrong" is so subjective. When "right/wrong" is slammed onto the table, it tells me it's a waste of time to discuss the issue.

  10. #30
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
    My opinion usually flips around like a ping-pong-ball.
    this for me


    Also, I really have no problem "trying out" an opposing mindset that's been presented in an argument. Even if an argument hasn't completely changed my mind, then it's still affected my worldview because the process has reinforced what I know. Either way, it's a chance to learn.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Have you ever dyed your hair an unnatural color?
    By Upnextup in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-10-2017, 07:34 PM
  2. Have you ever defined your core values?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 03-07-2016, 12:02 PM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-23-2015, 02:46 PM
  4. Have you ever changed your religion?
    By SubtleFighter in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 05-23-2014, 08:14 PM
  5. Have you ever made your own skin serum/treatments?
    By fidelia in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 12:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO